Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I remember going from AT&T Broadband to DirecWay (now Hughesnet) when we moved to the countryside in 2007. Not only was the bill $75/mo (compared to our previous $40), but 500ms pings were a daily basis thing. 90% of my online games became unplayable, and there was always a 50/50 chance the host would kick me from an RTS game lobby. There were daily data caps instead of monthly data caps, but it was at 200MB a day. Youtube, service packs, game patches, and the like were all pretty much impossible. Torrents became my friend because I could download like 150mb a day, and use the 50mb for regular browsing since they'd throttle me down to dialup for 24 hours if I broke that cap. Reliability was an enormous issue too. Winters were usually no-game seasons since rain or wind would completely disable the satellite. One magical day I called AT&T again and they confirmed DSL was now available in my area for $40/mo. No data caps, better reliability, and 6MBPS/768KBPS internet. I remember downloading all day just to enjoy the speed.

The good thing about having satellite internet is that you permanently appreciate everything that isn't satellite once you break free. Everything feels like some kind of blessing, and now I feel like a filthy rich person for having 25MBS/5MBS even though this seems par for course now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread