Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, Centurylink wants $65 a month or $55 with a year-long contract where I'm at. They're the ones that already have a hook-up, but that's a lot more than I was hoping to spend. They have fiber out there, but I don't need fiber speeds, and even their fiber is only 40mb. I'm probably going to contact Comcast and our local ISP as well to see if they can do any better, but am I wrong in thinking that with the cost of the hook-up and everything, I'm looking at more than that? I'm not sure if I'm living here for more than three months, so I'm not locking myself into a year-long contract.

Do people ever get the rates that they advertise? They were advertising $30/month, is that with a 5-year contract or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does Comcast still do the thing where you cancel service and sign back up the same day at the introductory rate? I'm tired of paying $70/mo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like a Comcast service center, or some store that also has a desk plugging Comcast to buy from? I know when we first got service, my wife went to a service center to pick up the equipment.

At this point we've got our own modem and router, so we don't need any equipment.

Of course they still charge the $15 "installation fee" or whatever they call it regardless of whose equipment your'e using or who sets it up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lies CenturyLink told me: "I have (1.5mbps) and four kids. They stream and play online games just fine."

It's a small town, I'm definitely not moving there knowing it's that or horribly unreliable line of sight.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Comcast just gave us a popup about how our modem isn't fast enough to handle the speeds we get (probably also because it's fallen off their supported equipment list). Seriously, now our ISPs give us pop-ups that go past adblocker? (I knew we weren't getting the full speed, there was a promo that made it faster than our 75 for 12 months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good question. Probably, since it’s a fresh install on my wife’s machine. Should figure out what the good DNS servers are now.

• Locked thread