Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

TWC chat.

What's that? You're moving and would like to transfer your service to a new address? And you'd like to schedule the setup three weeks in advance?

Well okay then, we'll go ahead and disconnect your current service right now. See you in a few weeks! :v:

:psyboom:

I think getting bought by Comcast might actually be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

xergm posted:

I am the 1%. :smug:

Did you just get installed? What's your fiberhood?

My deadline was May 15th. Two days later I got an email saying "Congratulations! See you in a few months when we're ready to install."

I am quickly discovering in these 2-3 months the myriad reasons I hate Time Warner Cable. :smithicide:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

DrankSinatra posted:

Edit: We were finalists for Google Fiber at one point, but we never got it. Now, they seem to have no intention of moving into our area. Considering how much of a hardon area governments seem to have about all this "Silicon Prairie" bullshit, you'd think they'd be on the ball.

They're usually all for it until the general managers of the local ISPs make "convincing arguments" against competition and innovation. :homebrew:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Forbin5 posted:

Google fiber in Chicago.
How long do I have to wait?

If they announced it tomorrow, probably about two years before construction begins. Tack on another one or two years if you live in a suburb rather than the urban core.

I can definitely say that at least you'll get it sooner than these people.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

When they come to a city how much area do they typically cover? Do they plan to expand to nearby cities? Because Charlotte was a candidate for Google Fiber last I checked and there are a lot of towns built around Charlotte.

It's entirely dependent on proximity and politics.

When they came to Kansas City, their initial plan was to roll out only in Kansas City, Kansas (KCK). A few weeks later they announced that they would include Kansas City, MO (KCMO) as well. Thankfully the metro area is one big blob, so Google was nice enough to include the surrounding suburbs even though they're governed separately.

I guess everyone always assumed that they would be covering the entire KC Metro area (KCK, KCMO, North Kansas City, Lee's Summit, Gladstone, Independence, Olathe, Lenexa, etc.), and they've been correct in that assumption thus far. On the other hand, if Google rolls out to Charlotte but one of the local municipalities doesn't have their poo poo in order, they'll probably skip that area and build out around it. Check out the KCK coverage map to see what I mean. Overland Park's city government was causing quite a few delays in their planning and approval, so they were left in the dust with no guarantee of ever being built out.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Has there been any evidence of local ISPs fighting google? I could easily see my local cable community handing certain people money to keep Google and other competitors away.

Tons. AT&T will canvas entire neighborhoods begging people to switch to U-Verse. At my old place AT&T would throw a party at the clubhouse once every few months to try to build goodwill and distract people from realizing how hilariously bad AT&T's offerings are.

A few weeks ago one of their droids went door to door in my old neighborhood and warned my wife that Google Fiber crews have been "destroying property". They pointed to the big reel of conduit going into the ground at the start of our block and said that was actually AT&T's fiber being installed, despite the fact that one of the Google contractors was doing the work.

They also said to "beware the fine print".

AT&T. Warning people about fine print.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Got a good chuckle out of this today.

Verizon is threatening legal action if Netflix doesn't stop blaming them for users' streaming problems. Says it's harming their reputation with their customers, and they might lose business as their customers drop them for another internet provider.

Please Verizon, tell us all about that fierce competition in your markets. :allears:

• Locked thread