Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Canada.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So about a week and a half ago we had a big wind storm with 110km/h winds and it damaged something somewhere and apparently my ISP has approximately zero redundancy.

This was the result for at least 7 days. I did the math and taking into account my packet loss I was actually slower than a 56k dialup modem. It was so bad I couldn't actually completely finish a test and I had to take a screenshot.

I did however manage to complete a pingtest though.

quote:

Hi Brandon;

The AP on the tower that you connect to was quite busy at the time. On the tower we have multiple access points, which helps to split the load up, but it the distribution of subscribers connecting to the APs was more uneven than normal, and lead to a tighter crunch on the same AP that you connect to. I made an adjustment to even it out, which should really help for those peak load times.

After bothering customer support long enough they gave me this wonderful response. Apparently, instead of having redundancy of any sort whatsoever, what they did was instead load up ~500 people to a single 20mbps gateway and expected everything to go just fine.

http://mcsnet.ca/repairs.php

What a joke.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm pretty sure DSL stands for Dick Sucking Lips.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

revmoo posted:

Getting my DSL installed currently, are there any things I can do to optimize for ping? I don't care how much throughput I have to trade. My LAN is gigabit with a iptables router and I'm getting service run to the pole and a brand new line run from the pole to my house. Anything else I can do to minimize latency?

http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix

What about this:

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I thought all of Scandinavia had insanely cheap internet, or is that just sweden.

500 NOK is $87 Canadian

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agreed posted:

That seems reasonable for a fast connection? Then again I can't consistently test higher than 900KB/s download and about 75KB/s upload, and during high usage times the download dips under 500KB/s. Convert to megabits and yeah I have shiternet obviously, but is that considered a high price for what looks to me like very fast internet speeds?

I'm lucky to get 400 KB/s during the lowest usage hours. <100KB/s and 20% packet loss is normal for me during like 5pm-1am, with a 60gb/month total-shut-off-if-you-exceed cap for $60/month

I might not be the best judge of what something is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Be thankful.

• Locked thread