Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

wwb posted:

Fun with special exhibit networks:

[actual top end is a bi-directional gig, ookla can't handle it]

Man, and I thought I was excited about Maxx rolling out...if it ever rolls out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I just figured that Activision's company network would need good upload and wouldn't skimp on it regardless given that they've invested in a plan with 700 down. I mean, that's a slower upload than my home cable connection.

Why wouldn't they have equipment on site that could shape the upload depending on their needs?

We run a slower network and have to put that in place or else a few connections make it painful for everyone else

Anyone here on TWC after the Maxx upgrade in Los Angeles? I can't get a straight answer on when it is launching.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

:stare:

Where the gently caress does Webpass have 400Mbps Internet. I'm over the bridge in Oakland and this is all I get for $55/mo :(

I'm guessing an office, which is cheating IMO :colbert:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

beergod posted:

I've got 200/20 in Huntington Beach from TWC. It is expensive (I think it is ~$100 a month) but it owns pretty hard. Do you not have TWC in your area? I thought they were rolling out the really fast internet to pretty much everyone they service in OC/LA. They sent me a new free modem.

200/20 should be 54.99 through their current promotion, price locked for 2 years but no contract. That's for without modem rental.

I just got it in miracle mile and it is glorious.

Bye Uverse, thanks for raising your rates 2x in 2 months at one point with no explanation until I saw it on my bill.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Give http://speedof.me a try. I find the top end speeds to be much more reliable than speedtest.net, especially at 150mbps+

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You never say what your connection type is? And what speed do you require? And what do you pay monthly?

Leased line is the way to go. You'd be surprised what options may be available. TW Telecom has been an amazing provider for us but I didn't know previously that they existed as a separate entity from time warner cable and twc business

Edit: given that you're uploading that size videos to Dropbox (poor you) what's your upload speed? It sounds sizable and usually those type of lines have an SLA when on a biz account. Have you looked at the contract or agreement?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 17, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rurea posted:

This is at work. :negative:
My boss has been going back and forth for like 2 months with Cox trying to get them to run a line or some poo poo to our office in a crappy old part of town.

Dude. Telepacific can't do anything for you?

We had bonded t1s in our terrible part of LA. It wasnt the fastest but it was somewhat functional.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can vouch for the Time Warner Maxx they offer in nyc and la. My 200/20 is always up and I always get the full speed. It's awesome.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You need the increase in bonded channels on the 6183 to go above 100mbps. That's the max for the 6141.

Great modem though in that it just works as I did not want to use their gateway either.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

*whoosh*

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Possibly a silly question, but once you get into gigabit speeds is it a bad idea to download things to your mechanical HDD instead of a temporary folder on an SSD?

Even at 200mbps I found that my hard drive speed would suffer if I was attempting to do something taxing with other files / the CPU.

Upgrading to an SSD fixed those problems and allowed me to download at full speed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Time warner couldn't have been easier or more above the board on my 200/20 package.

One cost, all taxes and fees baked in. 54.99 or whatever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

huh? that's the price they gave me and i brought my own modem so I could use my own router and wifi ap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Pricing doesn't change with MAXX markets. Extreme just goes from 30/5 to 200/20 for example, no billing change. Make sure if you buy your own modem it has 16 downstream channels if you want more than 100 mbit down.

they'll rent you a modem that is capable of the new speeds, i just wanted a real router and WAP and not have to rely on their hardware being able to be set to "bridge mode"

• Locked thread