Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just throwing this out there or looking for advice. I live in a semi-rural location that only has 1 company for DSL internet. They only offer a 1.5Mb/s for ~60$ a month and many inquiries into when something faster will be available only get me a "sign up for email notifications" reply. That's been the same answer for 5 years now.

For a period of time from about September 2012 to October 2013 I was getting an average of 4.5Mb/s speeds for some unknown reason with no changes to my bill. I didn't mind so I didn't look in to it. Oh man was it nice to finally be able to watch streaming stuff in HQ without buffering and download game updates that didn't take a week to complete and do modern day internet stuff!

Then it went back to 1.3Mb/s average since then. I've emailed and called multiple times to ask why I can't just upgrade to that speed since it was obviously possible and got the same "you only get 1.5, thanks!" reply. Would this be something that can be argued for that I'm not asking right or are there legitimate technical reasons why that was just a temporary strange thing that some kind of filter messed up with?

To add to the frustration, they have some issue with Google and throttle all Google services so I can't really use Maps, Youtube, etc without buffer time reminiscent of dial up days, which I guess matches the only related reply I got from them last year that talked about limitations of copper wire and reaching full 56Kb/s speeds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Hi I just want to say gently caress you to all you goons with speeds better than 10 mbs and reliable connections. gently caress you AT&T :(

I'd be happy with even just 3mbs... Been paying $60+ for 6 years for my DSL which keeps getting slower and is my only wired option. Any call for help results in only wasted time. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had a random 6 months of 4.5mbs and an upgrade to 7mbs in September that was then taken away a month later. My upload speed has been getting slower and slower making most things impossible to do. I have an unlimited cell data plan and get this speed which helps for some things, but I can only do so much on my phone. My 10gb tether cap gets used up quick.

2010 (my d/l was usually 1.3 - 1.5mbs most of the years, this is just the oldest one I have saved)

I can't play any online games with this upload without disconnecting or unplayable ping. It's been quite frustrating. The only good thing is the contract I renewed for that brief upgrade period halved the cost, so I'm only paying $30 or so now. I'm just in a small rural pocket barely a mile or so from normal neighborhoods with either CL DSL or Comcast at 10+ mbs.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I mentioned in the home networking thread order wireless service from Karma (https://yourkarma.com). I've been using it since Christmas and it's been a great alternative to my crumby rural 1.3mb/s only DSL.

It uses the Sprint data network and caps speeds at 5mb/s, but you can either pay for limited data or around 40-50$ a month (depending on how many months you buy) for unlimited data on a non-contract month to month plan. The device was 100$ with the holiday sale (150$ normally) and is an open wifi connection. Anyone can connect, and I think it's 3 or 5 simultaneous users at once. You have to authenticate through a browser login into your account which then draws from whatever plan you have. You can only have 3 devices assigned to your account, but can easily remove/add different ones. You can connect to any karma device out there, but you have to link the one you buy to your account to have basic control of it.

If someone else connects to the device you own you get credit towards the plan you have. It's worked great for HD streaming and downloading games and patches with a constant rate. Some games have issues with NAT stuff since you can't open ports or anything like that. It gives me weird routing, too, since the IP I get can end up being all over the US on Sprint's network. I can't get authenticate into my account on my blu-ray player since the browser function isn't adequate, but read if you can mac spoof with something you can authenticate on, you can then use console systems and the like.

Although I get 20mb/s+ on my cell phone, it's data capped for tethered devices, my DSL company refuses to upgrade my connection past 1.3mb/s, and there are no other services available. It's nearly 4x faster than my DSL for 60% of the cost I had been paying. Upload speed varies from 250kb/s to 1mb/s at my home, but faster in more urban places. So, it might be good for some one on the go or in non-permanent places wanting decent internet for streaming and stuff. The range on the device has been fine for my little home to connect my PC on one side and laptop a few rooms away.

It's a young company and idea. The device lacks any type of customization or admin type stuff other than rebooting, battery status and changing the 3 assigned devices through a mobile app. I accidentally added my co-workers device to my account since he hadn't logged in to it yet after purchase and I was the 1st to connect to it, so that's a bit of a security concern. An email to support got it changed that day. I'm happy so far, though, and am glad to finally be able to stream stuff in HD at my home. It's the 1st unlimited cell data device I've seen.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Well drat. I hadn't and had been away for a day or two. It looks like I'm only getting 1.3mb/s now with it... Figures that soon as I find something that works nicely, and make a recommendation, it ends up failing.

Guess I'll be using that 45 day return window.

• Locked thread