Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

$70/month for 30/3. Kinda pricey, but the connection is more consistent than Comcast in my area, and the customer support is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

3peat posted:

1000/100 for the equivalent of $18/month

I don't wanna use up my SSD with torrents so I need to get a normal hard drive that can stand over 100MBps without doing the disk overload thing, I'm thinking a WD black might work? I don't wanna deal with RAID..
That and the cost of a gigabit wireless router makes this gigabit internet thing kind of a pain in the rear end :(

Oh boo loving hoo!

I suggest the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite for a gigabit-capable router. It has acceleration hardware which makes it actually transfer at line-rate, and retails for $99. No wireless, though, so you'll need a separate AP, but any inexpensive wireless router can serve that purpose well enough.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

this would be faster if speedtests and speedtest servers weren't so hilariously broken.

Here's an alternative test site that claims to be more accurate. It'll also give you nifty graphs!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Apparently testmy.net has an optional "multithread" mode which can pull from several servers simultaneously, including Cloudflare's CDN. If that isn't enough to stress your connection, then :drat:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

revmoo posted:

Getting my DSL installed currently, are there any things I can do to optimize for ping? I don't care how much throughput I have to trade. My LAN is gigabit with a iptables router and I'm getting service run to the pole and a brand new line run from the pole to my house. Anything else I can do to minimize latency?

Linux router you say?

Shape using HTB at 90-95% of your connection speed (without "powerboost" shenanigans) and use qdisc fq_codel, which will keep latency down even during heavy utilization. The 5-10% bandwidth sacrifice is necessary to ensure the ISP's equipment isn't buffering, but it's worth it. I recommend reading about bufferbloat and CoDel.

Here's a script to run at startup which will configure the shaping and fq_codel queue management. Tweak the config knobs for your connection, which are set for my 30/3 cable.

Test by continuously pinging your ISP's gateway while running a speed test. Compare results with and without the shaping. It's magical :magical:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Comcast Blast 50/10 throttled to 45/9 with fq_codel for debloatification.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Does anything in the consumer space do gigabit PPPoE?

The only one I know of is the EdgeRouter Lite. It has hardware acceleration that does line-rate PPPoE forwarding for both IPv4 and IPv6. Wired only, so you'll still need your R7000 for wireless, or sell it and get something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

cr0y posted:

What is the latest trick to eliminating the fios router if I have fios tv as well? I think I have to keep the device on the network somewhere but also heard I can do some sort of port forwarding.

The drat thing is so ugly.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

• Locked thread