Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Two months ago I moved to a small corner of Sacramento served by Surewest, who has the neighborhood wired for FTTH, and signed up for their 30 mbit symmetric service. It's about $45/month. I needed a static IP for work, and surprisingly I was able to get the static IP plus a second dynamic IP for the home network for $5 more. I think that's really unusual, and it was a nice perk. Then I did a speed test.

Asked the tech about it and the answer was "oh yeah, we don't bother capping our upload." Thought that was pretty cool. I really can't say enough good things about the product so far. It's not gigabit, but it's so much better than my 30/2 cable modem from Insight/Time Warner, and cheaper too. Latencies are dramatically lower as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Flameingblack posted:

Not sure how to go about that but I'll call our current ISP. Nobody around here offers Fiber, we're basically put into a position where we're too big for our small city, but too small for a real city outside of West Virginia.

Use a broker if you're shopping leased lines. They do the legwork in finding out what's available at a given location, and the good ones typically get way better pricing for you than you'd be able to negotiate for yourself without serious effort. You don't pay them -- they get paid a cut of the lines they sell, so it's pretty risk free for you.

I've been using the same broker for years across two jobs and am phenomenally happy with them.

Don't go with the LEC.

• Locked thread