Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This isn't exactly gigabit speeds, but Charter recently upgraded me, at no extra cost, to 130/4. They've been really good about upgrading my internet speeds. Several years ago I was paying ~$50/month for 30/3, then they upgraded me to 60/3, then 100/4, then 130/4...all without increasing my cost other than the like $1/month they add once a year.

I've also been very happy with speed consistency...it never dips below advertised speeds. Also pretty reliable. Maybe 1 short outage a year.

Here in the US, I expect my cable ISP to be poo poo, but Charter has actually been very good and it's so confusing!

I really wish they'd bump up this anemic upload, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh good, an argument where both sides know what the other side actually means, but the participants want to argue about what the other side should mean.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

I agreed that perfomance is very good, but my point is that it's not dedicated. That's still worth keeping in mind because you are not guaranteed to have full throughput even though some people want to think that they should. It's all about realistic expectations.

Yes, everyone understood your point. Even fishmech.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

The tech came out, saw how bizarre my very old house was at and just sighed.

We talked for an hour about how they could set it up, I talked to one of their HQ techs about the service and decided to cancel it.
I didn't want the poor guy crawling across insulation on joists just because the salesman was wrong about what the setup would entail.

The guy is paid to do work and he didn't want to do the work so he convinced you to cancel the job.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Incorrect but thanks for insulting my intelligence.
It ultimately came down to me running the cost vs. service against my current plan. Plus the potential damage caused to a rental house owned by a grumpy old man.

I called Comcast, let them know that I now have options to switch and they gave me a good deal.

Why did the tech have to come to your house for you to compare the costs?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Not that he added the charges but the potential money I would have to spend if he damaged the house. I have insurance but my landlord is a prickly pear about it. It would have been a lot more drilling and whatnot than the salesman had let on.
It's hard to describe but my house is very oddly shaped with few walls that go directly to the exterior.

This is all information that you left out.

Anyway, it may or may not be worth it, but such damages would be on the installer or the ISP, but you'd have to fight to get them to cover it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

surc posted:

Hey I'm moving in to a new apartment tomorrow, is this the thread to ask for advice on ISPs? I was stuck on lovely AT&T fake fiber or whatever at my last place because housemates, and am now totally out of the loop. I'm hoping to be able to stream myself playing an FPS without it looking like poo poo, and also to pay less than $100 for internet (I have no interest in phone or TV). How much is fiber still limited to certain neighborhoods, and what's the price like? Seems from the recent posts in here that hitting sub-$100 isn't hard with fiber any more I guess?

You're lucky if you have more than 1 or 2 choices for broadband internet. Find out what you can get at your location.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fishmech posted:

Every address that can get DSL can get it from like 10 different providers,

How cute.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Also, I can recommend algo for setting up and configuring the cloud-based VPN.

Its a set of scripts that automatically creates, provisions, and configures a VPN server on any of the major cloud providers once you give it the credentials for your Google/Azure/AWS/DigitalOcean account.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You should just use Defender which is built in to windows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I posted about this in the usenet thread, but seeing a new post in this thread made me think to post it here...

If you have Charter they might be offering faster speeds in your area without advertising it.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, I feel the same as you about Charter.

What prompted me to call them was I found a link to this page and after putting in my address it showed 300/20 available and it showed the price as $90.

The lady I talked to didn't really seem to know much about it...she had to put me on hold and talk to a supervisor...but she got back on and said "we're adding that to your line now please continue to hold".

5 minutes later I was done and had faster speeds.

They did want to send out a tech to install a new modem and wouldn't let me order it without that. I'm sure they wanted to get me on their whole Charter-managed modem/router/wifi device, but gently caress that.

After I got the upgraded speeds I got on their online chat and cancelled the install appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Charter upgraded me to 100mb and never said anything

Yes, they did that to me like years ago.

• Locked thread