Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thermopyle posted:

Oh good, an argument where both sides know what the other side actually means, but the participants want to argue about what the other side should mean.

I agreed that perfomance is very good, but my point is that it's not dedicated. That's still worth keeping in mind because you are not guaranteed to have full throughput even though some people want to think that they should. It's all about realistic expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well y'all have a real funny way of showing it.... :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What modem/router are you using? I have a Ubee DDW36C, and apparently it suffers really bad bufferbloat.

Now I don't know how big a deal this actually is - at least not for us since we don't really do a lot of time-sensitive stuff online. My wife plays MMORPGs from time to time but I don't think that I'm ever slamming the connection (pretty much the only time that ever happens is with a Steam download) at the same time. I'd like to improve that figure but it doesn't seem like there are any wired QoS settings in this gateway. Lord knows even with a maxed connection web browsing doesn't seem to suffer so there must be SOME QoS. I wonder if the test artificially provokes bufferbloat for absolute worst-case scenario.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rukus posted:

The modem is a Hitron CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode, and the router is an Edgerouter Lite. You could try putting your gateway into bridge mode and see if that improves it.

I might just break out my RT-N56U and try that. Last I knew the wireless portion was being funky but that may have been driver issues with the (identical) PCI WWAN adapters I was using.

• Locked thread