Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

~£26 a month. It's OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today at work I'm only limited by the switch:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds expensive. Or is it about right for the US?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jack the Lad posted:

Long shot, but any UK goons have an opinion on the best FTTC ISP?

I'm with fast.co.uk at the moment, (on ~6Mb/s 21CN ADSL) and they're honestly pretty great support-wise, but their 100GB FTTC package is a 12-month £51.05/mo contract plus £101.99 setup and you have to get your own router.

I'm considering AAISP, who are also highly rated and do 100GB FTTC on a 6-month contract for £40/mo with a £1 setup and a free router. Which seems pretty great honestly and I'm wondering if I've missed something in the small print.

This will probably sound like blasphemy but I've been with BT since Infinity launched and I haven't had a single issue. £26 a month for 80/20 (line rental is on top of that like with everything). They have a reputation of terrible support but I haven't had to deal with it, just ordered online and it got installed.

If you want a separate FTTC modem instead of an all-in-one box then just ask the Openreach guy when he comes to swap your faceplate over and he will give you one off the van.

Going up the pricing scale a bit, Zen do unlimited for £30 and they should fit the bill of a more professional ISP perfectly.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 13, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See my edit re: Zen

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That upload :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tk posted:

Decided to treat myself to some gig internet. I'll have to see if I can find something to max this out.

Jesus gently caress…

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess it goes quite nicely with trying to further encourage the tech sector there, Xero are pushing the recruitment from abroad thing quite heavily along with the Wellington govt.

Makes a change from the :britain: approach to 'Tech City', where they have some soundbites, a photo opportunity, pay a succession of different people lots of money to run the scheme, and do absolutely nothing about the availability of decent connections in the area so people are stuck on ADSL.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

£23 per month, it's OK I suppose. Crosstalk is killing VDSL at the moment as it gets more popular, this was around 60Mbps a couple of years ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You cant go faster than the speed of light.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like you should be on a leased line, which are totally uncontended and never capped.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Free installs over here in :britain: happen with 3 year contracts, but if there's roads to be dug up and ductwork to install then you pay the costs of doing that. Which are actually really reasonable.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...lSgtIFAKw%3D%3D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably you can claim for costs when defending a frivolous lawsuit? I know nothing, discuss it with your lawyer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's crazy. At my office where people bring in money for the company we spend ~£600 a month for a 200 Mbit fibre service. At home I only have 60 Mbit because £26 is all I wanted to spend on Internet each month.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:eyepop:

More at the latency than anything else.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It also rules out poo poo like "have you changed your wi-fi channel?" and "OK now let's go ahead and clear your browser cache". It clearly shows the issue is not on the side of the router that is your problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:eyepop:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

So just like every other company then?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus gently caress that is insane.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Motherfucker

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Set up a SSH proxy in my butt...

C2B keeps delivering

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep the modem separate from the router/Wi-Fi. You're likely to swap the router out for newer Wi-Fi or other features or whatever more often than you need a new modem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Multithreaded vs non-multithreaded tests maybe? IPv4 vs IPv6?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does your CPU load look like during the test? What virtual NIC drivers are you using?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What NIC do you have? There's no reason for your CPU to go mental unless you have some poo poo Realtek or there's an antivirus/firewall installed that is scanning everything and doing badly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What process is eating the CPU when you're downloading on Steam? I'd put money on the Kaspersky thing loving it up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It shouldn't really have anything to scan unless it's slipped a root cert onto your machine and is MITM all SSL stuff. Which is bad and should be removed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you using their DNS servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have visions of ISP DNS servers being some dusty old Sun boxes that haven't been touched in years.

• Locked thread