Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

First is my home Internet. That's the normal speed with about 13% packet loss. No data cap, but only thing that really works is torrents. We live less than a mile outside of a large metro area and comcast wants 4000 dollars to run a line to our house along with 4 other houses.

The second is tethering to my phone which I do 90% of the time when I'm home. 8gig cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Comcast finally finished my line construction and put in my business 50/10 service yesterday. It's pretty awesome going from a 1/1 WISP to 50/10 hardline. The 1/1 Wisp was down about 20% of the time randomly throughout the month. I finally told them to pack their poo poo up and called comcast. 3 months later, I have 50/10 service with no out of pocket costs with about 2000 ft of line/amps that needed to be run.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

vandalism posted:

I am addicted to the internet, bad. Just moved to a place with no internet: bad. Might be buying a house in the boonies with no cable or phone line to it. Talked to Comcast, their line ends at 1700 and I am about a mile away--4800 feet. There is one intersection and the whole setting is rural as gently caress. Open fields, farm, etc. There are like 4 other houses around mine, but I will have like 5 acres and the house is about 20 feet from the road.

I talked to customer service and she put in a ticket for them to get back with me about an estimate. I'm hearing horror stories of $4-5 a foot, $20,000 bills to get to a customer, etc. Is this what I can expect, if they even agree to do it? Is it a huge pain in the rear end for them to build a mile? There are power lines to my house already on telephone poles, don't know if that makes a difference. There are tons of trees between me and the neighbors.

I made an offer on the house that got accepted and it's a fuckin sweet house that I want. I am living with the possibility that I will have to get satellite/4g hotspot and I'm psyched up for it. It's gonna loving suck. Like this house is amazing, except for the fact that there's no cable or dsl option.

My significant other would probably be pretty pissed if we backed out now, and we would lose $500 earnest money. Probably would be a bad move. As infantile as this sounds, I loving want internet access and am having a tough time imagining life without it. Yeah, I'll have plenty of outdoor stuff to do. I'll be busy throwing piles of money into a furnace, I mean "owning a home", but I still want to be able to kick back and play some games online for like a half hour every few days.

Judging from everything I've seen, cable companies charge retarded amounts to dig out to places that are very close. I'm not getting into the morality of that here, but what do you guys suppose my options are?

I did almost the same thing you are doing. My house is 1700ft off the main road and Comcast had to build out the lines to our house where power/telephone poles were already there. Don't waste your time with the residential service people. They will never get anything done. Call comcast business and see what deal they can work for you. I had to sign a 3 year contract for phone and voice (~140 bucks a month for 50/10 & 1 phone line) for them to run the line out to my house. It was a hell of a lot better than the 1meg/1meg wisp w/ 50% packet loss for 50 bucks a month.

• Locked thread