Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Upgrading to gigabit fiber from CenturyLink on Tuesday... stupidly excited. Like the first time I got broadband installed excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll just leave this here -

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Motherfucker

This means a lot coming from a fellow IT guy. :bigtran:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should be getting your rated speed with Comcast. If not, start the troubleshooting process with them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

Our local fiber provider does this too... Residential customers get 1000/500 for $100 per month. (and it regularly achieves 1000Mbps, I know because I have it). But charges business customers 3 times as much for a partly 50/10.

Their reasoning is that businesses are likely to actually use a lot more data... Except that I don't think that is the case anymore. At home I regularly have well over 500GB in usage per month due to the sheer amount of streaming. While our office and branch locations with your typical office usage such as windows updates, email attachments, etc.. are lucky to use 50GB in a month.

Generally speaking, not sure about your specific example, is that the business line will have a much better SLA, better support, etc. And thus the higher price. The lovely part though is that ISPs won't sell residential service to business customers, so it's pretty much just a price gouge.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's because the port is already defined in the UPnP table, which is beyond dumb. It's a poo poo router.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, I had that modem for a day when CenturyLink installed my gigabit connection. It's garbage. Here's a post on the Plex forums, about half way down you can see the comments about UPnP. Any port that is in the UPnP range will be a problem.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/226189/century-link-w-technicolor-c2100t-modem

It's a poo poo router. I always had an EdgeRouter Lite and replaced it with that after configuring PPPoE on the ERL. If you have fiber coming in they have a model with a fiber port. https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x-sfp/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You don't have to get an ERL and you don't have to get Unifi WAPs. There are other solutions to your problem. You can put the current router in bridge mode and use something like the Archer line. I'd check the OP of the home networking thread and post there if you have questions. This thread is a little more "post your sweet speed test results."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also use a non-admin account, have an adblocker, leave UAC on, etc. etc. But yes, Kaspersky is garbage and should go in the garbage with Symante and McAfee.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Speedtest.net uses Flash and has trouble at higher speeds. Try the beta - http://beta.speedtest.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I remember using Kaspersky once, then I realized it actually fucks up the NTFS filesystem of the drives it scans. Only way to fix the corrupted NTFS was to format the affected drives. What were they thinking?!

I don't know, but ask my predecessor who decided to buy 10 licenses and then install precisely 1 license. On our main file server. And then rebooted it. In the middle of the day.

• Locked thread