Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

:australia: Paying $120 a month including home line, phones/modem etc. This is a bad day, but the good days are still terrible. The speed they are selling me is 24MB/s, but they won't do anything about my lovely rear end connection even when we call/complain. gently caress that company and gently caress this country when it comes to internet. It is the only internet I can get in the area really, too.

What the gently caress, and I thought the previous post was bad.
Yours is shoot-up-the-ISP bad.

Not that mine is any good of course (here in the UK).

It is, however, cheap, and honestly, no better options are available, as I live in a small village connected to an exchange that hasn't been unbundled.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

3peat posted:

1000/100 for the equivalent of $18/month

I don't wanna use up my SSD with torrents so I need to get a normal hard drive that can stand over 100MBps without doing the disk overload thing, I'm thinking a WD black might work? I don't wanna deal with RAID..
That and the cost of a gigabit wireless router makes this gigabit internet thing kind of a pain in the rear end :(

The problem is if you're downloading multiple torrents, any hard drive is quickly going to be overwhelmed because you're not using the strongest point of HDDs - sequential speed - you're going to do a lot of random writes.

Essentially, a couple of raid 0 fast hard drives is a reasonable option, an SSD would be better.

Can you get a slower connection? Maybe you can save some goddamn money. Also, nobody feels sorry for you.

• Locked thread