Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Auckland, New Zealand, VDSL, $99NZ/mo 500GB monthly cap, fully naked (no tv, no landline, just a VDSL only connection)

Speed is just whatever the VDSL standard can handle (think the current profiles go up to about 70/10) best effort depending on how lovely your home wiring is, how close you are to an exchange/cabinet, and whether your exchange/cabinet is backed by fibre. Lucky for me I only have about 100-200M of copper until I hit a fibre backed VDSL cabinet

If my line profile is feeling happy I can get up to 65mbit but get too many errors, so the VDSL exchange tends to drop me to a lower speed profile, I'm currently synced at 60/10

NZers tend to hate on Telecom as an ISP (largest & oldest telco and all that, with a bit of a monopolization history) but in my experience they by far and away have the most consistent low latency/browsing/downloading experience all around the clock compared to other ISPs, doesn't matter whether it's school holidays at 7pm on a Sunday, other ISPs tend to crumble at that point, especially with international bandwidth

Speedtest to Sydney:

Other ISPs can only dream of getting international speeds like that, let alone local

More representative of intl. speeds going to LA close to one of NZ's international cable termination points

Can't wait for fibre to the home, my ISP does unlimited 100/50 fibre for $139NZ/mo for those that can get it, it'll be a couple more years yet until there's a lot more coverage in my city

I'm happy. Thank gently caress for regulated lines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

sanchez posted:

That's actually not a bad deal and something I could live with, which is not something I thought I'd ever say about NZ internet. When I lived there i think we paid about the same price for 10mb telstra cable with a 40gb cap.

Yup it's actually mostly palatable now, especially now that it's actually consistent and reliable and able to get those speeds all the time

Most ISPs are also now trending to unlimited data on these top end plans, hell, even a power company can offer unlimited 100/50 fibre for $130NZ/mo - it's a good time for NZ internet

Since you've been gone, Telstra has been bought out by Vodafone, so VF now run the cable network (TCL were still the only company that ran coaxial). They now offer unlimited cable on 130/10 speeds for $109NZ/mo, with no landline or TV required. Unfortunately VF are probably bottom of the barrel in terms of actually getting the speeds they offer, especially on their cable network :( but you could still easily pull TB's a month

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 15, 2014

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

More New Zealand related stuff

Chorus (the main fibre & copper infrastructure provider in NZ, and also the governments choice to roll out the fibre to the home network) has completely done away with the entry level 30mbit fibre plan and bumped the minimum up to 100mbit (100mbit was the goal set by the government to have in every home) - so soon you won't be able to get any fibre connection less than 100/20 - this is sold wholesale to every ISP at a regulated price of $40NZ/month (approx $35USD/month)

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/chorus-re-engages-isps-offering-1000-customers-double-speed-ufb-fibre

quote:

Today's cheapest fibre plans offer 30Mbit/s speed (or very roughly three times the speed of DSL copper line broadband). Chorus wholesales the plans for $37.50/month.

100Mbit/s will become the new entry-level plan for $40 a month — a monthly price that will increase by $1 every year every year until 2020.

And Chorus will now provide a 200Mbit/s plan, double the speed of the fastest residential plans today.

With that, they are now offering 200mbit plans wholesale to ISPs, $55nzd for 200/20, $60nzd for 200/100 and $65nzd for 200/200 - these are fully uncapped for the ISP and it's up the ISP leasing these lines to actually provide domestic & international bandwidth over it.

You can see a full table of wholesale line leasing options that the ISP's get here:

With that, Chorus also announced they're implementing new core switches http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...ture-2014-05-14 which will pave the way for 10gbit, 100gbit and even 400gbit when the standards allow.

quote:

The 7950 XRS shatters current density norms with up to 80 100GE and/or 800 10GE ports in a single 19-inch rack and can double this capacity in a dual-chassis, back-to-back system configuration. The 7950 XRS is designed to scale to 40 Tb/s in a single chassis with future expansion to 240 Tb/s system forwarding capacity in a multichassis configuration.

Also in the previous article, the HD Boost ADSL/VDSL stuff is basically just a service level guarantee to ensure even when all customers in 1 area are streaming HD content, Chorus will still guarantee their infrastructure will handle the bandwidth required. It's still up to the ISP's themselves to ensure they have enough bandwidth and their core can handle it - with so much competition (literally anyone with switching gear can buy off Chorus), providers that don't have the bandwidth to cope will fail very quickly in favour of those that do.

It's a strange time for NZ internet and great to see it come so far so quickly with the regulated carrier environment and the government initiative to ensure homes get a world class internet connection.. :gizz: :gizz:

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 18, 2014

• Locked thread