Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
oh my god logging back into this game for the first time in four years is fuckin insane I have no idea what any of this was or what I was doing lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Frog Act posted:

ed: wow they must get a lot of those cus they fixed that poo poo instantly. I guess I'll log back in and see how I feel about my level 99 RDM. I wanted to get BRD to 99, which has been an aspiration of mine since I was 13
personal testimony: my account was inactive from 2006 to 2020 and it literally had my father's name on it somehow (and I have no idea why)

took exactly one support ticket + one email to get that resolved and me back in, they are accustomed to wanting people to give them money for FFXI

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how the everloving gently caress do i even log into this game? they sent me a playonline account number and password but it just tells me they're both incorrect and my SE account password also does not work

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Step 0: Make sure your Square Enix account even knows what your POL account is, to begin with. If it doesn't, get them linked up first via the "Square Enix Account Management System" (linked on the websites for both FF11 and FF14). This step only has to be done once, period, and then it's saved over on the Square Enix account.

Step 1: When creating a login in POL ("Add Member"), you'll have to fill in a screen with these details. This step has to be done once "per installation", so if you change computers or something, you'd have to redo it. But other than that, it's one-and-done ... once you convince it to work to begin with.

Member Name: Arbitrary (?), it's what you want your displayed handle to be in POL. (It might be something you've already had to configure beforehand. All else failing, try using your Square Enix ID here too.)
PlayOnline ID: Your PlayOnline account ID. Probably formatted something like ABCD1234.
Set Password: "Save" instead of "Not Set", so it'll remember your POL password and not ask you to provide it every single time.
PlayOnline Password: Your PlayOnline password.

Member Password: Leave this blank for your own sanity. You do not need yet a third password involved in this nonsense.
Confirm Password: Should match the above, in other words blank.

Square Enix ID: Your Square Enix account ID / name. Probably something you picked and which is a familiar handle to you. (If you for some reason have several, you want the specific one which is linked to the PlayOnline ID used above.)
One-Time Password: If you have a security token / 2FA set up for your Square Enix account (which you should), set this to "Use". In the event that you don't, set this to "Do Not Use". It'll determine whether or not it asks you for your 2FA number when logging in.

Step 2: Click on the entry you just created / configured, click "Log In" on the next screen, and then enter your Square Enix password and (if applicable) one-time / 2FA number, then hit "Connect". If you've filled in all the right IDs and passwords in their respective fields above, you should successfully login to PlayOnline.

... Handily, when repeating the process for future logins, you only have to do "step 2" each time, which is to say providing your S-E password and 2FA. It should save all the other details.

(e: forgot POL password)

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 21, 2024

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
or if you're a visual learner:

stole this image from another goon, thanks Arc Impulse!

edited for future searchability:
this image is how you log in to playonline.
pol login. square enix password playonline password man I don't even know what else people would look for

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 28, 2024

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm jumping in after spending a few hours installing over the weekend. What server do goons play on? Should I just solo somewhere random and transfer later when I get to the point where you'd actually play with people?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The first boss of FFXI claims another victory

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

biceps crimes posted:

I'm jumping in after spending a few hours installing over the weekend. What server do goons play on? Should I just solo somewhere random and transfer later when I get to the point where you'd actually play with people?
Asura is the server that basically all of NA is on - including most goons, because the ones that weren't ended up biting the bullet and transferring over. Transferring costs IRL cash and goons can get you a password to just start on Asura for functionally-free (1000 gil, aka "0.01% of one of the weekly income streams") so I'd vote for that

someone get this goon a Gold World Pass!

also we're all in the discord in the first post and there's a few guides kicking around somewhere - here's the one we collectively wrote for instance

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Here is a gold world pass if you need it.

I am Tanag in game if you want some starting gil or to get together for the gold pass rewards in a few weeks (I forget when we have to get together off hand).

I am AFK 90% of the time though but if you send me a tell Ill eventually see it.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 22, 2024

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Thanks! I should be able to get in on a few hours after work

e:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Asura is the server that basically all of NA is on - including most goons, because the ones that weren't ended up biting the bullet and transferring over. Transferring costs IRL cash and goons can get you a password to just start on Asura for functionally-free (1000 gil, aka "0.01% of one of the weekly income streams") so I'd vote for that

someone get this goon a Gold World Pass!

also we're all in the discord in the first post and there's a few guides kicking around somewhere - here's the one we collectively wrote for instance

Awesome! Thanks for the guide link. My character's name is xjesse on Asura

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 23, 2024

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Have been wearing my chocobo shirt and hat with a brass subligar that dropped. game owns.
Am already level 25 and I've spent a lot of time not leveling and just running around. The leveling speed is crazy compared to what I remember from almost 20 years ago. It's kind of nuts just running around these deadly zones I spent so much time grinding in without much danger and a full trust party. I think I might be hooked but I need to play more first to make sure

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 27, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

biceps crimes posted:

Have been wearing my chocobo shirt and hat with a brass subligar that dropped. game owns.
Am already level 25 and I've spent a lot of time not leveling and just running around. The leveling speed is crazy compared to what I remember from almost 20 years ago. It's kind of nuts just running around these deadly zones I spent so much time grinding in without much danger and a full trust party. I think I might be hooked but I need to play more first to make sure

It may be hard to believe but you're still SLOW leveling. Once you progress through story and such you'll get tons of KIs that grant frankly ridiculous exp boosts, to the point where you'll get a level every single kill up until around lv50ish, and that is not an exaggeration. Getting your fourth or fifth job up to 99 doesn't really slow down until around level 80ish.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Awesome!

e: nvm, answered my own question

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
Posting here on the off chance; did anyone end up with an extra key for the game in the recent sale that I could buy off em?

I was playing the trial, having fun and didn't realize the sale would end before a payday :(
Would feel pretty stupid spending like 29 on something that was 9.99 a few days ago.

European account if that matters

Cheers!

quick edit: also, I already checked with customer support if they'd let me slide an order in still but no dice

Sapphira fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 28, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
If you are playing the game on Steam Deck or Linux and have been getting a “heartbeat” kind of stutter, the reason appears to have been identified: https://gist.github.com/atom0s/e6ddbb94408baba43e6fed5bee18ea9c?permalink_comment_id=4989027#gistcomment-4989027

Looks like some bad WINE api code introduced in version 6.16.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

What's the goto staff for non-nirvana summoner physical blood pact? I managed a +8/+25 grio for magical with 2 stacks of fern so I'm happy with that one for now.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's the goto staff for non-nirvana summoner physical blood pact? I managed a +8/+25 grio for magical with 2 stacks of fern so I'm happy with that one for now.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Gridarvor Augmented gives 70 acc, attack, and 15% double attack.

Grio is the best you are going to get pre Nirvana for magic so gg.

Espiritus is nice to just have laying around. Honestly Summoner is pretty simple because it doesn't have many choices and the choices it does have are easy to get save for Nirvana.

All this said I don't play Summoner so if someone else knows some secret take their word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Okay also Avatar's Favor. does it go in tiers based on precast/midcast of summon, precast of avatar's favor, or what you're wearing when the 'tock' hits? Like, do i need to precast it in the gear and sit in it for a minute and a half or