Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you can also reset/change the POL password on the website but it's buried in like Account setting I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Got a new ~timepiece~

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ive been playing over the last few weeks and been having a fantastic time overall but there sure are some sticking points. following the quickstart guide, hit 99 on mnk, been just exploring and doing whatever. there is an absolutely insane amount of content in this game

however, who decided that dynamis beaucedine was okay. Who hurt the devs. Why is it so big. Why does the first popped nm do chainspell death.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

An Actual Princess posted:

ive been playing over the last few weeks and been having a fantastic time overall but there sure are some sticking points. following the quickstart guide, hit 99 on mnk, been just exploring and doing whatever. there is an absolutely insane amount of content in this game

however, who decided that dynamis beaucedine was okay. Who hurt the devs. Why is it so big. Why does the first popped nm do chainspell death.

If you're ready to start breaking into lv 99 content, I recommend this guide for more detailed info on the massive amount of content. The quickstart guide isn't fantastic at explaining the details of content, and also doesn't give you a good idea of what order you can / should tackle things in.

And yeah dyna-beaucedine is lmao. Feel free to come join the discord linked in the OP and complain about dumb bullshit with goons!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CodfishCartographer posted:

If you're ready to start breaking into lv 99 content, I recommend this guide for more detailed info on the massive amount of content. The quickstart guide isn't fantastic at explaining the details of content, and also doesn't give you a good idea of what order you can / should tackle things in.
it's funny cause you wrote the guide

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
big no problem me use tako

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
prob wouldn't have made it past la theine abyssea almace without it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it's funny cause you wrote the guide

:ssh:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Thinking of getting into this again, starting over though because I don't remember where I left off. What's the best solo class to get through the story? Or is it one of those doesn't matter because there's a merc for everything situation.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Verbose posted:

Thinking of getting into this again, starting over though because I don't remember where I left off. What's the best solo class to get through the story? Or is it one of those doesn't matter because there's a merc for everything situation.
Dancer is excellent for soloing story content as you get Sneak and Invisbility as a 5 minute skill relatively early on from Jigs. You also get Healing dances and debuffs. Thief is also good to improve quest item drop rates and is relatively easy/cheap to equip for the post 99 content.

But job options aren't as important starting out thanks to the Trust system. You can have NPC party members to fulfill roles for you in most content. Add in the Rhasophdies of Vanadiel mission rewards which can be started at level 1 and experience isn't as much of an issue as well. You'll quickly hit an experience bonus that seems crazy compared to the old days.

So just pick what you think you'd like, unlock your preferred Nation's Trust NPCs and you'll be good to go. If you want any help feel free to hit any of us up on Asura. I'm hitting mid-late game content and focusing on Ranger and Thief but have a few decently equipped pre item level classes as well.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Verbose posted:

To get through the story, any job will do really. The easiest ones are probably Dancer, Red Mage, and Thief. DNC gives you lots of self healing, and has built-in sneak+invis - main downside is you gotta unlock it after hitting lv30, and it doesn't have any crowd control (sleep, bind, etc). Red Mage is available from the get go and has amazing self sustain, has sneak+invis, and can debuff + CC enemies - its main downside is you'll need to spend a lot of gil on magic scrolls to learn spells, and will need to upkeep a lot of magic skills to keep it useful. Thief doesn't have sneak+invis, no CC, and no self healing - however it DOES increase drop rates of items which can speed up several missions, and gives you Flee which can help if you get into a lovely situation (or are just lazy and want to walk around faster)

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
You can also Sub-Dancer for its Sneak/Invisible Spectral Jig and Healing. They're super early skills.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
DNC also has run speed in addition to sneak/invis, it's pretty great for the amount of running and a lot of the quests later. When I re-ran the MSQ/RoV it was a life-saver. I also got COR pretty early for Bolter's roll, ton of movement speed on lucky number to help with some of the more insane long distance running (looking at you, WotG). With Trusts, class soloing isn't as important as class utility to mitigate the other factors in the MSQ like distance and running past stuff.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
Wow I forgot how insanely difficult it is just to set this game up.

Like what's this poo poo about me transferring a playonline account to my Squenix account? I don't know what it wants me to do. I can't navigate all this poo poo.

I just bought a new copy of the game and it says "This playonline ID cannot be transferred"

Edit: Finally got it working by reactiaving an old account I'm gonna go jump off a building

Verbose fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 5, 2023

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
lol yeah, it sucks.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

So I'm on Bahaumut... how the hell do you get gear in this game?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Verbose posted:

So I'm on Bahaumut... how the hell do you get gear in this game?

Easiest way while leveling up / playing through the story is via Sparks of Eminence NPCs - you can buy tons of armor and weapons from them, and you earn sparks by just playing the game and completing Records of Eminence objectives.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Is there a good way to make gil?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Verbose posted:

Is there a good way to make gil?

A couple decent ones for low-level players, yeah. Lots of people use Sparks of Eminence to buy Acheron Shields (under the "Equipment (Lv.71 - 98)" tab) and sell those to vendors. You can only spend a maximum of 100,000 sparks each week (resetting on Sundays) so you shouldn't dump ALL your sparks on them since you'll obviously need them for other gear, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to pump n dump a few of them to get enough gil function. You can do a similar thing with Unity Accolades to buy an item called Prize Powder, which basically only exist to be sold to NPCs for gil.

Aside from those, selling all the random poo poo you get from enemy drops to NPC vendors is a good way to get pocket change. Nothing individually will be worth much, but it adds up and can keep you functioning in the early game.

If you speak to the guards at the city gates, you can ask one of them to bestow you with Signet - this is a buff that gives you some slight stat buffs along with extra exp, but also makes it so enemies you kill will drop crystals. Crystals can be sold in stacks of 12 on the auction house to other players for decent gil early on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CodfishCartographer posted:

A couple decent ones for low-level players, yeah. Lots of people use Sparks of Eminence to buy Acheron Shields (under the "Equipment (Lv.71 - 98)" tab) and sell those to vendors. You can only spend a maximum of 100,000 sparks each week (resetting on Sundays) so you shouldn't dump ALL your sparks on them since you'll obviously need them for other gear, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to pump n dump a few of them to get enough gil function. You can do a similar thing with Unity Accolades to buy an item called Prize Powder, which basically only exist to be sold to NPCs for gil.
fun fact, you don't have to buy the Shields specifically, literally every item has the same Sparks-to-Gil ratio of about 1-10ish, it's actually how gil prices are determined - Shields are just the highest vendor price item so it takes the fewest transactions to cap

also we wrote a new player guide that only started off as a joke stab at the one on BG Wiki that might be worth reading, it's a giant wall of text but I did my best to include everything I could, please disregard all the [someone fill this in] stuff :P

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere but what do I do with the trust scroll? I can't just use it.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

Verbose posted:

Can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere but what do I do with the trust scroll? I can't just use it.

You trade it to one of the Trust NPCs in the 3 Nations:

Gondebaud in Southern San d'Oria (L-6)
Clarion Star in Port Bastok (K-7)
Wetata in Windurst Woods (G-10)

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Anyone have experience on Eden and Horizon? I was thinking of starting up playing again and wanted to see if there’s any reason to go Horizon over Eden.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Population. Eden is super top heavy on top of just not being that populated these days, gonna be harder to get parties at lower levels and most people still playing already have things like Promy done . Horizon still has 1.5-2k online regularly even in off peak hours and the level distribution is less weighted towards 75. Horizon also has the eco-warrior quest enabled which is a nice little weekly that nets you about 2 levels and is easy to do.

Theoretically I think Eden is a better server, it has more/better content and I trust the devs more, but playing classic XI with a really low pop where everyone is already high level is just not very fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

walruscat posted:

Anyone have experience on Eden and Horizon? I was thinking of starting up playing again and wanted to see if there’s any reason to go Horizon over Eden.

I played on Horizon for a little over a month. I will say that it's the most faithful to CoP era amongst any existing server. I managed to get fishing to 100 (there is no daily limit), got Ebisu, leveled all subjobs for RDM and was nearing level 65.

With that being said... there are some aspects of the server that make it feel exceptionally cheap and (at least for me, personally) ruin the experience.
1) Many mobs and missions are improperly tuned or just straight up don't work. A good example is the Snoll Tzar battle during Three Paths (CoP). The salts do nothing and the NM continues to grow until exploding. Even if you 'fail', you win. And most annoying of all -- during the Tenzen path as you're going through the Pso'xja tower, mobs in the small rooms blink in and out of visibility/targetability, making this insanely annoying to clear.
2) The game is HEAVILY populated by people who were poo poo-tier players during CoP era. This manifests in many ways; most annoyingly in crafting. Garbage players got into crafting early and monopolized the high-value synths (cursed gear, endgame HQs, etc.) while simultaneously making those synths just barely profitable. Contrast that with retail during CoP era -- tons of people had level 100 crafts but we still all made a killing because we weren't absolute idiots.
3) Crafting seems to be purely RNG percentage-based results as an output of your crafting level and the synth's requirements. They did not incorporate any of the complexities of the retail crafting system (because I guess people baldly assert that these complexities never existed??? Those of us who captured and analyzed the data know better...).
4) The balance team's decision-making suggests that they were garbage-tier endgame players (at best) during CoP era. Total lack of awareness of endgame meta, etc. See PLD buffs vs NIN nerfs, for example.
5) You can be banned for relatively nothing. I was just banned (perma? dunno... still unclear) for 'exploits'. I assume I was reported for abusing blink-casting (cancelling casting and ja animations so you can move sooner). Seems they believe I was using ja0wait because I could reliably blink-cast, and ja0wait is a banable addon. I wasn't using ja0wait.

With that being said, Eden is somehow even worse. It is less polished and just feels... I dunno... wrong.

I'm back on retail now, btw. I'm on Asura (Profiterole) trying to bridge the content gap between 2014 and 2023 right now, in case anybody else is on Asura and wants to do fun stuff.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RazeChildren posted:

I'm back on retail now, btw. I'm on Asura (Profiterole) trying to bridge the content gap between 2014 and 2023 right now, in case anybody else is on Asura and wants to do fun stuff.

Come join the discord! We've got a few active goons on Asura, and more that pop online now and then during free trials or when they feel like wasting money etc. Very chill community that enjoys helping folks out.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

RazeChildren posted:

3) Crafting seems to be purely RNG percentage-based results as an output of your crafting level and the synth's requirements. They did not incorporate any of the complexities of the retail crafting system (because I guess people baldly assert that these complexities never existed??? Those of us who captured and analyzed the data know better...).

Are there more complexities? Are you referring to like, being certain skill points above a requirement makes you more likely to HQ. Or do you mean all that stuff abotu directions to face while crafting was all true!???

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Capital Letdown posted:

Are there more complexities? Are you referring to like, being certain skill points above a requirement makes you more likely to HQ. Or do you mean all that stuff abotu directions to face while crafting was all true!???

The latter. However I could never establish that direction mattered -- I held it as a constant (along with zone, weather, and even position in zone...) when testing. There were times of certain days/moon phases were you could essentially guarantee a t0 HQ. Semitry, Corwen and I did this standing together at the Ru'Lude AH a bunch of times -- synchronize crafting start time and all make the same t0 HQ simultaneously. I don't have any sort of general day vs crystal, moon phase, directional facing proof, but those factors are probably part of whatever equation was going on server-side.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comme...nt=share_button

They do not.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

RazeChildren posted:

The latter. However I could never establish that direction mattered -- I held it as a constant (along with zone, weather, and even position in zone...) when testing. There were times of certain days/moon phases were you could essentially guarantee a t0 HQ. Semitry, Corwen and I did this standing together at the Ru'Lude AH a bunch of times -- synchronize crafting start time and all make the same t0 HQ simultaneously. I don't have any sort of general day vs crystal, moon phase, directional facing proof, but those factors are probably part of whatever equation was going on server-side.

Lolno. Direction, weather, moonphase and day have no effect on crafting. It has always been a seeded random percentage based off skill tiers.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

Lolno. Direction, weather, moonphase and day have no effect on crafting. It has always been a seeded random percentage based off skill tiers.

Ok. What the guy said in the post could still be fully consistent with what a few of us (who became ultra rich in game) found. They may not have used day/time/direction explicitly in crafting results, but that doesn't mean the "random" process wasn't hooked in to any in-game variables. Depends on how they coded it server-side. The possibility of 3 of us simultaneously HQing t0 synths (on more than one occasion) as a result of pure chance is nearly impossible. Again, this doesn't mean that "direction, day, moon phase" whatever is an intentional, explicit part of the crafting system. And if that's the case then I guess if you're coding for your private server, you might as well just follow the accepted HQ tier percentages. I could withdraw that (very minor) complaint from my list of issues with Horizon.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

RazeChildren posted:

2) The game is HEAVILY populated by people who were poo poo-tier players during CoP era.

This is true of every private server and every retail server since the game launched.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Kongming posted:

This is true of every private server and every retail server since the game launched.

Yeah that's fair. I think the difference is that private server culture is more dominated by these people than retail was. In retail, there was always an overarching culture of good and knowledgeable players, and the bad players were relegated to their own communities. I saw a sprinkling of good players on Horizon who were fun to play and interact with, but their 'voices' or whatever are not the dominant ones.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm sure the old adage that Maat's Cap owners are terrible at all of their jobs goes double on private servers.

That exactly the "all grind no skill" that these throwback servers attract because that's all 75 era ever was, and they were all convinced of crafting astrology to boot. Want there a dev post that slapped it down entirely?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Ranzear posted:

I'm sure the old adage that Maat's Cap owners are terrible at all of their jobs goes double on private servers.

That exactly the "all grind no skill" that these throwback servers attract because that's all 75 era ever was, and they were all convinced of crafting astrology to boot. Want there a dev post that slapped it down entirely?

They did confirm it was a myth, but in like 2016. So only vaguely recently in the greens scheme of the game.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

RazeChildren posted:

I played on Horizon for a little over a month. I will say that it's the most faithful to CoP era amongst any existing server. I managed to get fishing to 100 (there is no daily limit), got Ebisu, leveled all subjobs for RDM and was nearing level 65.

With that being said... there are some aspects of the server that make it feel exceptionally cheap and (at least for me, personally) ruin the experience.
1) Many mobs and missions are improperly tuned or just straight up don't work. A good example is the Snoll Tzar battle during Three Paths (CoP). The salts do nothing and the NM continues to grow until exploding. Even if you 'fail', you win. And most annoying of all -- during the Tenzen path as you're going through the Pso'xja tower, mobs in the small rooms blink in and out of visibility/targetability, making this insanely annoying to clear.
2) The game is HEAVILY populated by people who were poo poo-tier players during CoP era. This manifests in many ways; most annoyingly in crafting. Garbage players got into crafting early and monopolized the high-value synths (cursed gear, endgame HQs, etc.) while simultaneously making those synths just barely profitable. Contrast that with retail during CoP era -- tons of people had level 100 crafts but we still all made a killing because we weren't absolute idiots.
4) The balance team's decision-making suggests that they were garbage-tier endgame players (at best) during CoP era. Total lack of awareness of endgame meta, etc. See PLD buffs vs NIN nerfs, for example.
5) You can be banned for relatively nothing. I was just banned (perma? dunno... still unclear) for 'exploits'. I assume I was reported for abusing blink-casting (cancelling casting and ja animations so you can move sooner). Seems they believe I was using ja0wait because I could reliably blink-cast, and ja0wait is a banable addon. I wasn't using ja0wait.

With that being said, Eden is somehow even worse. It is less polished and just feels... I dunno... wrong.

Thank you for this breakdown. Seems like a waste to spend time leveling on a private server then. I wonder what makes private server populations lean poo poo-tier. I always figured that type of player wouldn't want the classic experience.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly private servers just attract the kind of really niche interested people that unfortunately can sometimes have an over represented amount of jerks. Especially people who go hard on feeling superior for playing old mmos which is something I've seen a bunch. But also I've met a bunch of really chill and helpful people and I've avoided the most insane parts due to never bothering with NM farming which likely plays into the more toxic stuff.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

walruscat posted:

Thank you for this breakdown. Seems like a waste to spend time leveling on a private server then. I wonder what makes private server populations lean poo poo-tier. I always figured that type of player wouldn't want the classic experience.

Guys who are like "I was banned for no reason" who go on schizo rants about the server were almost always actually banned for a good reason and are probably not trustworthy sources. Horizon is fine. Most of the players are fine. You run into some assholes and control freaks but that's no different than the live servers. In fact I would imagine most grouping content on live servers these days is even more full of obnoxious minmaxers. If you want a classic experience Eden and Horizon both provide that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think the problem is the assholes and control freaks on private servers are the admins and their friends lol. I actually do believe you can be banned arbitrarily on places like Horizon especially if you're involved in endgame if you get on the admin's bad side, even if you don't explicitly break a rule. That's what happens when you have a big enough ego to write "Letters from the Developer" and call yourself "Aerec-P" when you admin a private server and are immersed in a discord server where everyone sings your praises and you get moderated for using clown emojis to respond to dev posts.