Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

AF upgrades require 5 pages for +1s, and 10 for NQs. They come only from 20 kindred seal fights using only the new seals, which only drop in SOA zones. There's 5 difficulty choices, and the droprate for them are 1,1,2,3,4 for those difficulties. You can't trade lesser seals to get these new ones, and can only farm 'em. So there's a bit of a grind.
You can actually get them from heroes abyssea zones too.

Victory Smite using Oatixur is really good.

If you want to do a WoE weapon, you can now pull one out of the magian chest that will skip all the NM's and VNM's. If you actually go through the hunt, the amount of seals/coins/dice you need is reduced.

Also, I think this dumb game has managed to pull me back in. Why can't I ever quit you, FFXI? :( Get back into FFXI goons and get loaded up with SoA gear and we can do a lot of stuff :)

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

LiquidFriend posted:

Also, I think this dumb game has managed to pull me back in. Why can't I ever quit you, FFXI? :( Get back into FFXI goons and get loaded up with SoA gear and we can do a lot of stuff :)

I've been burnt out on 14 for a while and never hopped back into 11 because pretty much everyone seemed to have left the shell, so guess I'll be around this week again. :toot:

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

LiquidFriend posted:

You can actually get them from heroes abyssea zones too.

Victory Smite using Oatixur is really good.

If you want to do a WoE weapon, you can now pull one out of the magian chest that will skip all the NM's and VNM's. If you actually go through the hunt, the amount of seals/coins/dice you need is reduced.

That's really cool. If you make a WoE weapon can you use it to unlock the WS for other weapons, or does that only work for empys?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

That's really cool. If you make a WoE weapon can you use it to unlock the WS for other weapons, or does that only work for empys?

You need to get WoE to 99 for the unlock. Empy just needs to be 90.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Does the chest weapon with all NMs complete work for Empys? When I left I had all the Almace items, but wasn't done the NMs. As useless as it is now it would be nice to get for completion sake if I do come back.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Does the chest weapon with all NMs complete work for Empys? When I left I had all the Almace items, but wasn't done the NMs. As useless as it is now it would be nice to get for completion sake if I do come back.

Its a new weapon that basically puts you through the woe content, so that you can unlock the weaponskill, its not a fullblown empy weapon. They did however reduce the requirements for doing a full empy weapon, so whatever you have now is a little easier.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Wolfevangelist is doing shouts for WKRs pretty much 24/7 right now. I've been home sick for the last couple days and managed to get the new axe, polearm, sword and knuckles as well as a bunch of mantles and other junk. If you still need any KIs now is the perfect time to get them.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

From what I've heard, they've drastically lowered the repop times for the NMs.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

From what I've heard, they've drastically lowered the repop times for the NMs.

They have also drastically lowered the bayld for the wkr temp ki to around 15k per wkr. Very nice. It use to be around 30k per wkr temp ki.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
How hilariously overpowered are those new weapons compared to any of the pre-SoA content? On one hand I want to resub and pick some of them up so I can farm up and kill a bunch of stuff I struggled against in the past, but then I'm not sure it'd even be worth doing anymore since the new gear is so out of control.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Male of the Century posted:

How hilariously overpowered are those new weapons compared to any of the pre-SoA content? On one hand I want to resub and pick some of them up so I can farm up and kill a bunch of stuff I struggled against in the past, but then I'm not sure it'd even be worth doing anymore since the new gear is so out of control.

Mandau at level 99 is dmg 55 delay 176. Izhikoh, the ilvl 119 dagger is dmg 108 delay 200 with +242 dagger skill, 242 parrying, atk +8 acc +10 dex +15
The upgraded mandau is dmg 91 delay 176

Balsam Staff is a summoner staff with +120 MAB for avatars.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 7, 2013

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Yeah I'm looking at some of the new weapons and it seems like you could just completely wreck Abyssea NMs and make any emperyan you want over the span of a weekend. Might be worth it to finally make an ochain, but I don't know if I'd actually get any use out of them.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah I'm looking at some of the new weapons and it seems like you could just completely wreck Abyssea NMs and make any emperyan you want over the span of a weekend. Might be worth it to finally make an ochain, but I don't know if I'd actually get any use out of them.

ochain is still quite viable, and i believe they lowered the requirements to get it now.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jesus god those numbers are insane. The drg polearm from the bee thing...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I need to finally start killing whats his face for the hearts. Still like 0/75 :I

I really hope they change the requirements for the 95, I don't think there are even 1500 HMPs on the server anymore.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Dealing with trying to get a T3 VNM pop is still annoying.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
if i started playin would someone show me the story...

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun

nene. posted:

if i started playin would someone show me the story...

Yeah sure. What story do you want to know about? A good one to start with is the Mandau (Relic dagger) quest story. Anyone here have any screenshots from it?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

frodnonnag posted:

ochain is still quite viable, and i believe they lowered the requirements to get it now.

Oh? Has there been a list put together somewhere that reflects the new requirements? I'm trying to google it but I'm not sure if I'm looking for the wrong thing, or the fact that the update has only been out for a couple days means nobody's compiled it yet.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

They changed Coin weapons somewhat wherein there's a path that doesn't require NM killing, haven't heard anything about Ochain (or other R/M/Es).

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Actually just today Matsui said

quote:

Unlocking Coin/Empyrean Weapon Skills

In order to further reduce the difficulty, we will be adjusting the content involved in upgrading the Coin weapons. Please note that we are not planning to reduce the difficulty of creating RME weapons.

But then he also said this unrelated thing

quote:

Shorter Play Experiences
For Final Fantasy XI in the future, we would like to continue moving in the direction of having meaningful play experiences even if you only have a short time to play. Right now, there are elements, like forming up parties, that can take a long time, and we would like to keep content experiences to two hours maximum.

For this reason, we would like to continue to add elements which players can enjoy solo, and will also continue to look into whether we can make a mechanism in which solo players can challenge content previously designed for six person parties. Additionally, we will cut back on the amount of 18 person content that we add in the future while continuing to implement main content for up to six players maximum. We also would like to set up convenient transportation so that it takes players no longer than five minutes to access the content they are looking to participate in.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

So if I were to resub, what would I be looking at in terms of getting a good weapon? I currently have a joyeuse. Is doing the magian trials thing still valid or what?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

So if I were to resub, what would I be looking at in terms of getting a good weapon? I currently have a joyeuse. Is doing the magian trials thing still valid or what?
Depends on the job. Magian weapons really aren't viable anymore (although good to do quite a few of them to unlock emp Weaponskills).

The top weapons that aren't a super grind to get would come from Wildkeeper Reives and fracture.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

quote:

Shorter Play Experiences
For Final Fantasy XI in the future, we would like to continue moving in the direction of having meaningful play experiences even if you only have a short time to play. Right now, there are elements, like forming up parties, that can take a long time, and we would like to keep content experiences to two hours maximum.

For this reason, we would like to continue to add elements which players can enjoy solo, and will also continue to look into whether we can make a mechanism in which solo players can challenge content previously designed for six person parties. Additionally, we will cut back on the amount of 18 person content that we add in the future while continuing to implement main content for up to six players maximum. We also would like to set up convenient transportation so that it takes players no longer than five minutes to access the content they are looking to participate in.

It seems my plan of not seriously playing the game, even though I like it, until they casualized it is paying off... Now to resub and get every job to 99 and every ultimate weapon -1.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

LiquidFriend posted:

Depends on the job. Magian weapons really aren't viable anymore (although good to do quite a few of them to unlock emp Weaponskills).

The top weapons that aren't a super grind to get would come from Wildkeeper Reives and fracture.

Pretty much this. Without a huge time investment you could farm up some bayld, get outfitted in bayld gear then hit up wildskeeper reives. Fight stuff for a few minutes, then go watch tv or whatever. When you come back you might have an ilvl 115 weapon. Congrats, you are now geared well enough to participate in most content.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Pretty much this. Without a huge time investment you could farm up some bayld, get outfitted in bayld gear then hit up wildskeeper reives. Fight stuff for a few minutes, then go watch tv or whatever. When you come back you might have an ilvl 115 weapon. Congrats, you are now geared well enough to participate in most content.

Skirmish is also viable

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Hey, did you guys hear the latest news about FFXIV? Hackers/gilsellers apparently discovered that they can send querys to the market(auction house) pretending to be you, if they can just get your ID. Which it is assumed they are currently getting by targeting you and selecting trade (they get the ID regardless of you clicking accept or not I guess). And then they just ask the game to buy single bone chips for millions of gil, on your behalf.

Cue emergency maintenance that has been going for 2 hours now, and considering what a huge security hole this is, I have no idea when the game will be back up. :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Valle posted:

Hey, did you guys hear the latest news about FFXIV? Hackers/gilsellers apparently discovered that they can send querys to the market(auction house) pretending to be you, if they can just get your ID. Which it is assumed they are currently getting by targeting you and selecting trade (they get the ID regardless of you clicking accept or not I guess). And then they just ask the game to buy single bone chips for millions of gil, on your behalf.

Cue emergency maintenance that has been going for 2 hours now, and considering what a huge security hole this is, I have no idea when the game will be back up. :v:

Like 11 was any better back then. We had what for memorable hack experiences, the ctd bug with chat, pulling poo poo from people's bazaars, the salvage dupe bans, and the continued and prolific use of the heinous cupper/clipper?

It seems the one thing SE adamantly refuses to learn is security.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

frodnonnag posted:

Like 11 was any better back then. We had what for memorable hack experiences, the ctd bug with chat, pulling poo poo from people's bazaars, the salvage dupe bans, and the continued and prolific use of the heinous cupper/clipper?

It seems the one thing SE adamantly refuses to learn is security.

My favorite was hearing about the memory tampering hack where you were able to literally fish up Royal Beds from the sea in Port Jeuno every time you cast your line, and sell them to the duty-free NPC vendors for an enormous amount.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

The joke's on them, I don't have any money. :smuggo:

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

Kudos to the brave goons who defeated Yumcax tonight! It was a tough battle, but I like to think the key to victory was us killing a bunch of trash mobs, dying a lot and generally loving around.

Shield me with your tiny bodies.

Jewy getting the hell out of dodge.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Trip Reports :3:

If you're on the fence about coming back because you'll be behind, right now is a pretty good time to come back. I got the original 5 wildkeeper reive clears on MH in one night and it isn't difficult to get caught up on skirmish. People still do fracture too, but you don't need fracture gear to be well geared.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
What's it like getting back into FFXI if you didn't have that much to begin with? My highest job was 60-something SAM with some nice gear and I... I miss playing it. Because of stockholm syndrome, mostly, I know I didn't enjoy farming for three weeks at level 30 to get o.kote.
I did find my old POL ID and the two cd-keys I got, so I don't think reactivating would be a huge hassle.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ledenko posted:

What's it like getting back into FFXI if you didn't have that much to begin with? My highest job was 60-something SAM with some nice gear and I... I miss playing it. Because of stockholm syndrome, mostly, I know I didn't enjoy farming for three weeks at level 30 to get o.kote.
I did find my old POL ID and the two cd-keys I got, so I don't think reactivating would be a huge hassle.

Over the years they increased exp gains, added book burning for exp, and added all sorts of ways to get gear easier, including a change to nm spawn mechanics and droprates this update. Gear is almost entirely irrelevant until 70 when you do maat, and 95 when you do the final fight to uncap. Hell i saw a 60s whm participating in the wkrs for gear and exp.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
Skirmish and WKR are two ways you can easily get geared. Skirmish requires three pieces as the pop set. WKR just requires you to buy a temporary KI for bayld. WKR and Skirmish guarantees you at least one piece of gear if you complete the main objective. For WKR that is killing the boss, for Skirmish that is killing a certain number of mobs/nms. This site is really good for all sorts of info. http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Main_Page

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 9, 2013

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I'm mostly interested in exploring the world I never got to see fully. I'm sure if I came back I'd start raiding, but first I'd go to the jungles and kill some gobs. Is there a goon population on some server that would take me under its wing so I don't feel all alone playing it?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
As the OP says, what goons play are on Quetzalcoatl.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kazy posted:

I need to finally start killing whats his face for the hearts. Still like 0/75 :I

I really hope they change the requirements for the 95, I don't think there are even 1500 HMPs on the server anymore.
If you're just aiming to unlock Wildfire, you'd probably be better served to farm up money for the ilvl 117 gun and spamming Last Stand instead. I'll probably unlock Wildfire anyhow because I'm about 20 hides in already and dragon is easy to farm.

Victory Smite is definitely worth unlocking.

Here's a list of emperyan weaponskills I'd do:
Victory Smite
Tachi: Fudo
Blade: Hi
Chant du Cygne
Torcleaver (if you don't have merit spots to cap Resolution)
Ukko's Fury (same as above)
Rudra's Storm (best WS if you don't have Mandau, if stacked with SA)
Jishnu's Radiance

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 11, 2013

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Another anniversary event has started! (please come back to FFXI Signed, S-E)

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/11198/detail.html

What's within:
-Double exp (monstrosity included)
-Double plan drop within salvage
-double skirmish part drop in reives
-some enhanced mog garden poo poo that I don't know what it means
-abyssea event
-double craft skillup rate
-random items added to kindred crests/HKC battlefields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Tachi: Fudo seems weak compared to Shoha, and without the aftermath of an Emperyan I'm not sure it's worth using at all.