Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Someone give me a winning number so I can get a Mandau 10000 Byne Bill. Because I'd totally rather have a component than the real deal.

Lol@ blackbelt drops being rank 2 and HNM spawn items being rank 3.

The 10k Byne and equivalents are there if you happen to win on a mule. You can't trade a Mandau, but you can trade 10k currency easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

S-E made a hype trailer for the December update next week! Featuring good ol' PlayOnline music. :3:

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Oh, man, you can get Joachim as a battlefriend? This is the best update.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

:lol: I remember the old days when the Native American guy intro greeted you every time you booted up PlayOnline.

I do have to admit that I am somewhat interested in HardMode ArkAngels.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Shaezerus posted:

Oh, man, you can get Joachim as a battlefriend? This is the best update.

And Mihli! :swoon:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

What's the fastest way to burn through Imprimaturs and open WKR? Scout survey Ceziak?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Courier's supply delivery to Ceizak is super fast and it opens up the later ones which provide a lot of bayld for just running a couple zones away.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's the fastest way to burn through Imprimaturs and open WKR? Scout survey Ceziak?

Scout Survey is fast if you have the bgwiki page for that particular scout survey. You have to be a certain distance depending on what time it is. Courier's Supply is easier than Scout's Survey. Is it faster? Depends on the person, and whether or not they are using waypoints and/or cupper to get through reives.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Patch notes!

Datamining currently underway.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
These new items actually have the item effects listed right on them? What game is this again??

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Majumbo posted:

These new items actually have the item effects listed right on them? What game is this again??

I'm sure the problem will be actually getting them :v:

"Beat Divine Might 2.0 18 times to complete 1 player's armor"

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Wow, the ilvl 119 AF doesn't disappoint at all. The amount of merit points you need to make a Key Item is absurd, but I like the idea of it so people finally have incentive to exp again.

Oh cool, finally an upgrade from Rose Strap. Now I never have to do Campaign, hooray!

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 10, 2013

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
"Everyone runs faster" is a cool feature. This whole update sounds great, but I don't know if I can get back into it.

FFXIV has kinda left me cold, because it doesn't feel like as intricate and well-realized a place as Vana'diel, but I just don't know if I can handle it.

I'm stressed out just thinking about it.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like Records of Emminence is a pretty large thing with REM -> 119 upgrade items dropping, purchasable ilvl 117 weapons and armor, and the ability to buy pages to upgrade to AF109 and AF119

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

LiquidFriend posted:

Wow, the ilvl 119 AF doesn't disappoint at all. The amount of merit points you need to make a Key Item is absurd, but I like the idea of it so people finally have incentive to exp again.

Oh cool, finally an upgrade from Rose Strap. Now I never have to do Campaign, hooray!

As someone who needs a bunch of exp and merits I am super excited by this news.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

In an hour and a half I ended up getting PLD from barely 23 to just under 28, and managed 2800 and some change in sparks. Awesome.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Cool got home to check out some new things and emergency maintenance. :shobon:

If any goons hate themselves enough to dynamis farm, I'm looking to buy currency and am paying 3000 for bynes, 5000 for shells and 5500 for bronze.

Need about 2300 byne bills, 2500 shells and 9500 bronze pieces. I'm a rich jerk and can buy whatever quantity you've got, so don't hesitate to sell me your buttcoins!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I was actually wondering, what's the possibility for solo farming relic/mythic stuff now that we can get spark gear

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Soloing farming a relic with most jobs in a few months is very possible, and its even easier now with ilvl gear. Soloing alex efficiently is more dependent on what job you use (PUP/BST are both very good, so is BLU, other jobs do less well).

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

With a strong BST or THF, pulling in 300 coins a day dynamis farming should be very possible. Basically, you can solo farm a relic from start to finish in under 2 months.

If you want some easy exp, it seems S-E has yet to notice that you can use the HomePoint warps without disqualifying a task for the courier's coalition. Basically, you can pull in about 17k exp in a few minutes work. So abuse the hell out of it before some lame jerk tips them off about it and it's fixed.

E: Made 72,000 exp/bayld in less than 30 minutes doing Support: Marjami Ravine. :)

E2: Double exp is back starting now for the next month.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/11335/detail.html

Newer goons need to make sure to check the blue chest near the Abyssea NPC's in Port Jeuno for starter cruor and essential atmas.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 11, 2013

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Why do I love this game so much?! I've logged back on to do Monstrosity for a bit and now I can't stop. It's so good, why does it have to die?!

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why do I love this game so much?! I've logged back on to do Monstrosity for a bit and now I can't stop. It's so good, why does it have to die?!

FFXI is not dying, it is just eleven years old which is ancient for mmos. If you enjoy monstrosity, you should do the dragon quest and ffxiv crossover events. If you get all three items from each, you can get a fetish. Slime fetish and Spriggan fetish are used in monstrosity.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Gruknor posted:

FFXI is not dying, it is just eleven years old which is ancient for mmos. If you enjoy monstrosity, you should do the dragon quest and ffxiv crossover events. If you get all three items from each, you can get a fetish. Slime fetish and Spriggan fetish are used in monstrosity.

Ah, I was wondering where those came from. I'm powering towards unlocking Behemoth but I'll definitely look into those.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Reportedly, if you collect each of the Naakual paragon items (that you get for doing the Naakual Eminence quests), you're then able to select an item from Hurkan/Kumhao/Yumcax as well as the 115s from the first three Naakuals. Don't know where you turn them in, probably an Eminence NPC.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So this latest update (combined with the last few) is great if you are totally new to the game or are coming back without a max level job.

The new Records of Emminence system (RoE) combined with the old Fields/Grounds of Valor give you large boosts in experience. RoE are basically mini-quests that reward you for doing what you would be doing anyway. Killing x number of mobs in a zone, dealing x amount of damage, healing x amount. Each time you complete one you get bonus experience and a currency called 'sparks'. RoE don't require talking to an NPC to initiate (apart from the initial quest) and most automatically repeat. Field/Grounds of Valor are books that are in most leveling zones and ask you to kill a certain number of a certain type of monster and upon completion reward experience, gil and tabs (another currency used to buy buffs form the books).

Combine those leveling systems with the new Trust system and you can basically summon a party at will and allow you to either experience on content that is more rewarding and complete a decent amount of quests/missions without relying on others. With the ability to summon healers, tanks and damage dealers you can have a party of 4 ready to go in no time.

The gearing problem has also been mostly solved. While the auction house is still quite lacking in leveling equipment, there are other ways to get gear now. Most mobs can drop treasure chests which, after playing a simple mini-game to unlock, contain equipment appropriate for the current level of the mob. And those 'sparks' you are earning from RoE can be used to purchase weapons up to level 50. Also all those NMs that used to be immediately killed and/or constantly camped are generally forgotten about so you can get some pretty good stuff just killing whatever you stumble across.

Travel has also been made much, much faster easier. You can now teleport from any homepoint to any other that you have visited! Once you make the trip from your home nation to Jeuno you can teleport back and forth for a small fee. Everyone runs faster now too. There was a 25% speed boost

The goon linkshell is also seeing a revitalization as we are emerging from the dark days of the FFXIV release and the doldrums caused by the lack of "fun" content in the latest expansion. SE also are doing all kinds of log-in campaigns and anniversary campaigns and weird events all the time that give some pretty good rewards. So yeah, now is like the best time ever to return or start playing!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Majumbo posted:

Combine those leveling systems with the new Trust system and you can basically summon a party at will and allow you to either experience on content that is more rewarding and complete a decent amount of quests/missions without relying on others. With the ability to summon healers, tanks and damage dealers you can have a party of 4 ready to go in no time.

I can attest to this. My pld went from 27 to 35 'solo' in 1:45:00 last night with GoV/RoE/Trust killing worms and bats in korolloka. I got several self-exp chain 3's (which at double experience made a single kill ~780xp).

Abyssea is currently abandoned :( I hope I can get in on a worms party on Friday night so I can level pld to 99 and hopefully get decent sword skillups.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Abyssea may see a bit of a resurgence since the new ark angels battlefield require 20-30 merit points to enter each time. This may also see a return of some voidwatch NMs since they are a super easy way to get fast experience.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Majumbo posted:

Abyssea may see a bit of a resurgence since the new ark angels battlefield require 20-30 merit points to enter each time. This may also see a return of some voidwatch NMs since they are a super easy way to get fast experience.

And the battlefields are where you get the artifact upgrading papers. I really wanna get in on some upgrading, Atrophy +1 just looks awesome.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

So is it pretty easy to get to cap without having to rely on level syncing in one place for hours? That was fast (when I could find a group) but grinding in level appropriate zones seems like it would be more interesting even with an NPC party, plus the prospect of skilling up from almost nothing at 99 didn't sound fun. I was thinking about resubbing to XIV but it just doesn't hold the same charm, so maybe I'll give this another shot.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Cool Blue Reason posted:

So is it pretty easy to get to cap without having to rely on level syncing in one place for hours? That was fast (when I could find a group) but grinding in level appropriate zones seems like it would be more interesting even with an NPC party, plus the prospect of skilling up from almost nothing at 99 didn't sound fun. I was thinking about resubbing to XIV but it just doesn't hold the same charm, so maybe I'll give this another shot.

I wish alter egos worked in parties, I'd put get a mule to a "sweet spot" level and park it on the other side of the zone out of exp range, then go nuts on "* of valor" pages.

Skillups are really easy through 30 if you have the beret/shirt, one of them gives + to skillup chances.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've talked a bit about it before, but the skillup system is really in need of a reworking for the three people every month who want to start the game fresh, and the people coming back after a long, pre-adoulin hiatus. They seemed to have fixed or alleviated most of the old-school grinding elements in this game, and yet they keep this one around. Sure, you can buy food to help it along, but it doesn't help new or poor mage players when Pitaru tends to be criminally expensive (although I just checked xiah and I guess prices have gone down some since?)

Really, if I had my way, A+ would cap at 100 and all other caps would trickle down from there. One skill per level up to the cap, with two at 99 for an A+ skill. Adjust all other gear with skill increases to fall in line with this. Either that or just allow skills to increase by whole numbers if you're incredibly undercapped.

The convenience options like teleporting between home points and Trust magic are really something, though. I'll probably be stopping into goon shell this weekend before the big XIV patch next week, but if I like what I see I might keep my sub going after the holidays. At least so I can scare up some of the new AF for my red mage.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

I've talked a bit about it before, but the skillup system is really in need of a reworking for the three people every month who want to start the game fresh, and the people coming back after a long, pre-adoulin hiatus. They seemed to have fixed or alleviated most of the old-school grinding elements in this game, and yet they keep this one around. Sure, you can buy food to help it along, but it doesn't help new or poor mage players when Pitaru tends to be criminally expensive (although I just checked xiah and I guess prices have gone down some since?)

Really, if I had my way, A+ would cap at 100 and all other caps would trickle down from there. One skill per level up to the cap, with two at 99 for an A+ skill. Adjust all other gear with skill increases to fall in line with this. Either that or just allow skills to increase by whole numbers if you're incredibly undercapped.

The convenience options like teleporting between home points and Trust magic are really something, though. I'll probably be stopping into goon shell this weekend before the big XIV patch next week, but if I like what I see I might keep my sub going after the holidays. At least so I can scare up some of the new AF for my red mage.
You can buy books with sparks that give skillups ranging from .1 to .5, so to max a skill from 0 to a+ you'd need...

(426/.3 (average gain))= 1420 books at what, 300 per book? 426k sparks.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You can buy books with sparks that give skillups ranging from .1 to .5, so to max a skill from 0 to a+ you'd need...

(426/.3 (average gain))= 1420 books at what, 300 per book? 426k sparks.

I'll see if I can take advantage of that, then. All I really remember is that my RDM and BRD haven't seen their spell caps since Abyssea hit, and it always kind of bugged me. Didn't bother me enough to make me run a spellcast script overnight to cap them, but still a bit of a bummer.

I also want to take a whack at that monstrosity stuff, because from what I've read it seems fun as hell.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'll see if I can take advantage of that, then. All I really remember is that my RDM and BRD haven't seen their spell caps since Abyssea hit, and it always kind of bugged me. Didn't bother me enough to make me run a spellcast script overnight to cap them, but still a bit of a bummer.

I also want to take a whack at that monstrosity stuff, because from what I've read it seems fun as hell.

I know I can script enhancement up by overwriting bar-spells on myself in town, how would you script healing/enf/ele/dark/div?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I know I can script enhancement up by overwriting bar-spells on myself in town, how would you script healing/enf/ele/dark/div?

I meant more with regards to scripting song/healing/enhancing. At least, last I remember Healing would still skill up even when healing someone at full HP, just that it had less of a chance to.

Skilling Enfeebling and Elemental is a hell I'd like to not experience again. If I can avoid it with sparks, I'll gladly do it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
In an effort to rennaisance the gently caress outta goon-ffxi and lure in more suckers, does anyone wanna make up some banner ads and/or contribute towards them, or help me flesh out the OP? I think if we did that we could luck out and get a few more addicts back.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

In an effort to rennaisance the gently caress outta goon-ffxi and lure in more suckers, does anyone wanna make up some banner ads and/or contribute towards them, or help me flesh out the OP? I think if we did that we could luck out and get a few more addicts back.

FFXI! It's not like you were going to be doing anything else this Kwaanza

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

All I want for Christmas is my addiction back.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Moldy Taxes posted:

I meant more with regards to scripting song/healing/enhancing. At least, last I remember Healing would still skill up even when healing someone at full HP, just that it had less of a chance to.

Skilling Enfeebling and Elemental is a hell I'd like to not experience again. If I can avoid it with sparks, I'll gladly do it.

Skilling up Enfeebling and Elemental is a lot easier than Healing/Enhancing/Singing/Wind/String. The best way to skillup Enfeeb/Elemental magics is to go to Abyssea La Theine when there is an exp party there. Silence the worms, and spam the lowest mp cost spell you have. Rinse and repeat till you have capped Elemental/Enfeed magics.

The best way to cap Healing/Enhancing/and any magic that you can spam on yourself is to go to Abyssea Empyreal Paradox. Grab your refresh and fast cast atmas. Use either a skillup script or spam your magics yourself. As long as you stay outside of Shinryu's zone you can stay there for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Be careful about using scripts in abyssea - Empyreal Paradox: GMs have been known to make the rounds and suspend people who don't respond to tells.