Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Teamed up with misandry tonight, we started at the bastok market gate synced to my level 10 dancer. We killed everything in sight making 1 loop around vamp hill, then going straight to the dunes. By the time we crossed into the dunes we were level 23 and I had enough sparks to get an entire eminent armour set in addition to the sword i got last night.

By the way, can a level 99 party sync to a level 99? If so, we could totally spark/merit farm by getting an alliance in a zone with high spawns and setting the appropriate crystal gathering RoE. 100 sparks per 10 crystals, kills, high damage, and level sync kills. We'd be getting sparks at like 10-20k per hr and capping merits. Good way to get rem's tale pages and merits for DM pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Teamed up with misandry tonight, we started at the bastok market gate synced to my level 10 dancer. We killed everything in sight making 1 loop around vamp hill, then going straight to the dunes. By the time we crossed into the dunes we were level 23 and I had enough sparks to get an entire eminent armour set in addition to the sword i got last night.

By the way, can a level 99 party sync to a level 99? If so, we could totally spark/merit farm by getting an alliance in a zone with high spawns and setting the appropriate crystal gathering RoE. 100 sparks per 10 crystals, kills, high damage, and level sync kills. We'd be getting sparks at like 10-20k per hr and capping merits. Good way to get rem's tale pages and merits for DM pops.

I don't actually know, and suspect not, but if you got someone at level 98 in Merit mode you could also farm the "kill 200 mobs while level synced" RoE too at the same time. As well as the vanilla "kill 200" and "kill 500" ones.

Also if you want to skill up solo go to Aby-Tahrongi and fling spells at the NM turtle. He doesn't move until certain HP threshholds so he's basically helpless til you're done.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

frodnonnag posted:

In an effort to rennaisance the gently caress outta goon-ffxi and lure in more suckers, does anyone wanna make up some banner ads and/or contribute towards them, or help me flesh out the OP? I think if we did that we could luck out and get a few more addicts back.

Frod feel free to use/amend anything from my post about the new stuff and add it to the OP.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I need a pearl for the new shell whenever someone gets the chance.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I leveled BLM to 58 and WHM to 49 last night in la theine worms=, but then the party broke (it was a shell going for DM2 merits), so I switched to 99 rdm/blm and solo'd Genbu, Byakko, and Suzaku. I only needed to cast cure when fighting Byakko. Tonight I'm going to hit Seiryu and try Kirin, then do another pop set or two.

I wonder if I can solo the kings? I have 2 sets of pops

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Depends on your gear: if you have ilvl gear, I have no doubt they can all be soloed by RDM. If you don't, nidhogg and king behemoth might pose some problems.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Is there a comprehensive resource for Windower commands anywhere? Specifically I'm having trouble getting some Send/LUA commands to work when multiboxing, trying to send commands to alts. I'm aware of the basic syntax but still have trouble.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Living the dream.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Hello there, BBB ;-*

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I need a pearl for the new shell whenever someone gets the chance.
You should probably post you ingame name if you want one.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Genbu and Suzaku went down solo without even needing to heal

Byakko and Seiryu, I needed to toss a heal here and there

Kirin finally got me, but not before I took him down to 30%. I'm pretty sure I can do this, I just need to plan a bit better.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

LiquidFriend posted:

Hello there, BBB ;-*

I've evolved into Big Beautiful Elasmoth now, which is DRK/WAR to Behemoth's WAR/WAR. Souleater coming off 9k HP is hilarious, I can down IT mobs in 4 hits.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've evolved into Big Beautiful Elasmoth now.

ffxi crossed over with pokemon?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Paladine_PSoT posted:

ffxi crossed over with pokemon?

Now I wish I could run around Vana'diel as a Pikachu. :negative:

E; Souleater with 13k HP: 1500 normal hits, 2200 Wild Horns (in an AoE!). Insane.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 16, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Shantotto cometh

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I want to set up a weekly nyzul run if anyone is interested, we'd need enough to be able to succeed at lamp floors. 5 would probably be ideal. Ultimately I'm wanting to get my Murgleis so if anyone else is working on mythics or wants to, post or PM

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I want to set up a weekly nyzul run if anyone is interested, we'd need enough to be able to succeed at lamp floors. 5 would probably be ideal. Ultimately I'm wanting to get my Murgleis so if anyone else is working on mythics or wants to, post or PM

I am up for doing NNI.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'll come on MNK if you guys run on Sat-Mon. (I won't be available for awhile this saturday though!)

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
In regards to skilling up, I know the general strategy was always to target mobs 10ish levels above the current skill level. Is that because there's some kind of penalty for fighting mobs above that range, or is it just because normally you wouldn't have enough acc to hit them? With the new ilvl weapons, should I stick to the 10 lvl rule or just whack away at harder mobs as long as my acc stays capped?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

In regards to skilling up, I know the general strategy was always to target mobs 10ish levels above the current skill level. Is that because there's some kind of penalty for fighting mobs above that range, or is it just because normally you wouldn't have enough acc to hit them? With the new ilvl weapons, should I stick to the 10 lvl rule or just whack away at harder mobs as long as my acc stays capped?

Combat skill? Throw on acc, str, and atk atmas and smack worms in a party.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The farther away something is from your relative skill level, the faster you get skill ups. Or so I've been led to believe. That's why it's encouraged to find a wide enough disparity and then make up the difference with +accuracy. However, with the introduction of ilvl gear and massive amounts of +skill on it, the best thing to do is get your hands on an ilvl weapon you want to train in, and then go whack worms in a party like frod said. My Greatsword skill is only 190-ish, and while training it in a worms party with Kaquljaan equipped, I've got more than enough skill to hit 90%+ of the time while getting frequent skill ups.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
And use those Stalwart's Tonics since they give you an Acc boost and refresh pretty much instantly.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

The farther away something is from your relative skill level, the faster you get skill ups. Or so I've been led to believe. That's why it's encouraged to find a wide enough disparity and then make up the difference with +accuracy. However, with the introduction of ilvl gear and massive amounts of +skill on it, the best thing to do is get your hands on an ilvl weapon you want to train in, and then go whack worms in a party like frod said. My Greatsword skill is only 190-ish, and while training it in a worms party with Kaquljaan equipped, I've got more than enough skill to hit 90%+ of the time while getting frequent skill ups.

P. much this, I had 232 sword skill and an eminent scimitar. I ran through the sky bosses once, now I have 245 sword.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gruknor posted:

I am up for doing NNI.

I'd like to do at least one standard nyzul climb first if that's cool? I haven't started yet so I need the complete.

LiquidFriend posted:

I'll come on MNK if you guys run on Sat-Mon. (I won't be available for awhile this saturday though!)

What times are good? Saturdays and Mondays are good for me, I prefer later in the evening because I'm generally putting the kids to bed until 8:30-9:00 PST

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Evenings would be better.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Cool, thanks for the advice guys. Weirdly, I've been having a hard time getting aby parties lately. For now my solution has been to park my rear end on the beach in ceizac with kupipi out. I can fight one urganite for like 15 min and the only tp move they use is poison, which she removes instantly.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Are you doing this on WAR? If so you can equip your abyssea regen atma, a level 1 weapon, and just use retaliation and aggressor and pull 10 or so Altepa mandragora.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
I'm downloading FFXI right now. I have played the demo a long time ago but now I want to play for real, this late in the game's life. Is there an irc or some way to contact you goons? I'm thinking I'll be a Red Mage but if there are a lot of goons on consistently and there's a demand I'm down to do White Mage.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Just make a character on Quetzalcoatl and post your name here and someone can grab you

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

GreaseMonkey posted:

I'm downloading FFXI right now. I have played the demo a long time ago but now I want to play for real, this late in the game's life. Is there an irc or some way to contact you goons? I'm thinking I'll be a Red Mage but if there are a lot of goons on consistently and there's a demand I'm down to do White Mage.

Sorry I'm leveling Red Mage right now so you'll have to do something else. No but seriously I don't think it matters at all at this point and you'll most likely be leveling solo or in a big alliance anyway so be whatever you want.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
Edit: Figuring out how to get it working. I'll be in game soon.

Power Edit: I'm in the game, installing the updates. I'll be in quezlcoatl or whatever in no time.

GreaseMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 18, 2013

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
Well, I set up Greasemonkey in Quetzlcoatl. A hume Red Mage. Unfortunately, when i boot the game up it shows my hp and stamina and a message saying im in bastok with a black screen for an environment and then crashes. I tried all of the settings in the config with no luck. I'm trying to get it fixed but I'm not seeing daylight.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Unlocked salvage earlier today, ran through bhaflau rem. and died at the long bow chariot after chainspell/convert/stoneIV spamming it to less than 10% hp with less than 1 minute remaining. Bought craptons of spells I was missing, as well. Coming back is fun :)

I hope I get faster alex gains... I only got a total of 3 that run :/

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

Is NNI able to be soloed now as well? I heard they lowered the entry requirements, curious if it's actually feasible though.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GreaseMonkey posted:

Well, I set up Greasemonkey in Quetzlcoatl. A hume Red Mage. Unfortunately, when i boot the game up it shows my hp and stamina and a message saying im in bastok with a black screen for an environment and then crashes. I tried all of the settings in the config with no luck. I'm trying to get it fixed but I'm not seeing daylight.

Are you using Windower? Also if you have a newer graphics card make sure "graphics stabiliziation" is checked. FFXI is DX8 and the new cards don't natively support that and it can get messed on sometimes.

Is NNI able to be soloed now as well? I heard they lowered the entry requirements, curious if it's actually feasible though.

You probably couldn't do sufficient damage and the time it would take for one person to run to all the mobs, even at 400% speed, would be too long.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'd like to do at least one standard nyzul climb first if that's cool? I haven't started yet so I need the complete.

What times are good? Saturdays and Mondays are good for me, I prefer later in the evening because I'm generally putting the kids to bed until 8:30-9:00 PST

I would also like to do a regular nyzul climb as well. I am free anytime in the evenings EST.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

Are you using Windower? Also if you have a newer graphics card make sure "graphics stabiliziation" is checked. FFXI is DX8 and the new cards don't natively support that and it can get messed on sometimes.

You probably couldn't do sufficient damage and the time it would take for one person to run to all the mobs, even at 400% speed, would be too long.

The lamp floors that require you to do it in order would be a pain.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gruknor posted:

I would also like to do a regular nyzul climb as well. I am free anytime in the evenings EST.

Is 9pm PST on a saturday still "in the evening"?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Depends on what you mean by soloing. If you mean getting to floor 80/100, that's probably impossible. I'd guess that a trio, with good luck could do it though.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Systematic System posted:

Depends on what you mean by soloing. If you mean getting to floor 80/100, that's probably impossible. I'd guess that a trio, with good luck could do it though.

NNI is very much a clusterfuck. Back then a group of 5 top geared players could consistently hit 99 (with cupper ofc) but i'd say if you want to go lower, you'd still need i115/119 gear (basically wkr/skirmish and delve) and cupper. Possibly 3 dd/dnc and a brd/whm. Best would still be 4 dd, sch, and brd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

NNI is very much a clusterfuck. Back then a group of 5 top geared players could consistently hit 99 (with cupper ofc) but i'd say if you want to go lower, you'd still need i115/119 gear (basically wkr/skirmish and delve) and cupper. Possibly 3 dd/dnc and a brd/whm. Best would still be 4 dd, sch, and brd.
I'd say at least 5, so that you aren't hosed on a big lamps floor.

MNK and WAR are really good for NNI, as you can mow down a large group of mobs with Retaliation/Counterstance and AoE Weaponskills. It can be done without speed hacks, but your probability goes up a lot when using it.

Now granted, this is what you need to do if you want a high chance of making it to floor 100. If you're willing to settle with a floor 80 finish, your setup is a lot more forgiving.

I'd probably run with this:
WAR
MNK
SCH
BRD
Another SCH/WHM/RDM

Last slot can be filled with whatever DD you want, or you can try it with just 5.

Honestly though, I think it'd be fine to settle with just going to floor 80 and having a 100% success rate. There are only 2 pieces that I'd consider must haves (Thaumas coat, Nares pants), one really good piece (phorcys body) and maybe phorcys hands. The rest of the stuff got replaced with better gear.

E: Looks like I really underestimated how easy this event got! Just bring a healer and 5 ilvl DDs and you'll be fine!

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 19, 2013