Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the sale encouraged me to try ff11 since it's been a big empty spot in my final fantasy experience; the only one i've never touched. so i plopped down ten bucks figuring worst case scenario the game loving blows and i'm out ten dollars, oh no.

first of all, playonline sucks. how have they not fixed this in eighteen years. how is it still this much of a pain in the rear end to get the game installed and your account made. madness. took me two hours.

once i got into the game, however, it was ... interesting? i've never played an mmo older than vanilla wow so it was really fascinating to see all the enormously different design choices. the lack of any kind of npc marking, the menus nested in menus nested in menus, the extremely slow (but surprisingly not super boring??) combat. at this point i'm doing the nation quests that want me to go to the other ones (The Three Kingdoms or w/e) and i'm a level 20 monk.

idk if people here would give a poo poo about my thoughts on the game but i'm just finding it a fascinating trip into the early 00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just remember that you can just get trusts right away which act as party A.I.s (think of the trusts for FFXIV dungeons except they follow you everywhere) and play the game more or less as a single player experience. Also, you can just do the city quests up until rank 5 or 6 and complete it to "clear" the vanilla game and thus technically "beat" Final Fantasy XI. At least the original version.

oh i got trusts right away. they make combat doable. it's just a thousand other things that are baffling and weird about the game.

traversal is a huge mess, for instance. i spent more time just walking to a place (the walk from windurst to the canyon in the north is mindnumbing and i must have done it like 6 times before i found scrolls of warp.)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

other notes:

- why is giving items to npcs done through the trading interface. bizarre.
- the mog wardrobe is cool but all the guides online just say "yeah put it in the mog wardrobe" without telling you where it is or how to access it. the fact that it's in view house is baffling.
- that's the case with a lot of the stuff online about this game. the writers of all the guides and wikis just seem to assume you've been playing the game for ages. "oh the nation quests? yeah those start from any gate guard." wtf is a gate guard. there are a lot of guards and a lot of gates. why not just say where they are!!!
- having to target doors and open them instead of just walking through. minor thing but it hosed me up for a bit before i realized that's how they worked.
- i started as a monk and combat is a ton of autoattacking and sometimes using weaponskills. i don't mind this necessarily, the slow pace kind of works for it. i'm sure it gets a little more involved as you get deeper in.
- they tell me about synthesis early on (my "here's some items to try it!" tutorial failed lmao) but then are like ... gently caress it, try whatever, throw poo poo in crystals and see what happens. Ok.
- very early they show you the cutscene for rhapsodies of vanadiel and give you no indication of how to access and start those.
- that's a common thread. not much indication of where to go for anything. i get that you're intended to infer stuff through dialogue, but it goes kind of extreme.
- speaking of dialogue, why do the tarutaru talk like that. i don't ever in my life want to read "peace-weace" or "sistaru" ever again.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ive been playing over the last few weeks and been having a fantastic time overall but there sure are some sticking points. following the quickstart guide, hit 99 on mnk, been just exploring and doing whatever. there is an absolutely insane amount of content in this game

however, who decided that dynamis beaucedine was okay. Who hurt the devs. Why is it so big. Why does the first popped nm do chainspell death.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i was determined to unlock corsair as soon as possible and let me tell you that's a job that's incredibly obnoxious to unlock if you're still new