Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I am happy that I helped shaped the future of Something Awful FFXI thread titles. :shobon:

I'd also like to point out that account recovery went very smooth for me the last time I reactivated. It had been hacked at some point after I'd stupidly deactivated the one-time password dongle thinking I'd never use it again. I called up Square-Enix and threw as much old info at them as I could - POL ID, Square-Enix account username, my last log-in date, old credit card info, old address... Eventually they directed me to a form to fill out which I had to sign and get notarized in order to prove I was who I said I was. After sending this in, they were able to reset my password info and get me access to my account again.

My characters had been migrated to a different server and renamed. I would have to wait 90 days, then move them back to Quetz and rename them again and pay all associated fees. But after talking to Squeenix support again, I learned that they could gladly refund the fees since I never authorized these changes. I never took them up on the offer since I unsubscribed again before the 90 days elapsed, but I'm glad to know that is a thing they are willing to do if you ask.

Just my two cents, in case anyone has similar issues in the future.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:aaaaa:

I haven't played in a while. Did ADL just get a lot easier to kill since ilvl gear became a thing? I imagine making money is a lot easier now that players can go solo and stomp all over almost everything pre-SoA.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm considering coming back to this awful, terrible game for a month since my wife is going to be away with her family for a while. If I do, I'm going to have to call up Squeenix and ask them if they can still give me a complimentary server transfer back to Quetz and a name change, since I never got the chance to do that after recovering my account from gilsellers. But I did make sure to have them put a note on my account stating that.

The last time I played was 2012, a few months before SoA came out, so that's where I'd be starting from. I assume it would be a good idea to get the expansion and start getting some ilvl gear? 'Cause I'd probably do that and then go steamroll over some old world content as BST.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Spark gear. "Records of Eminence" is a thing where you do misc crap like healing, damage, killing stuff or soa events and you get exp and "sparks". Also, the biggest immediate boost for bst is getting an ilvl axe. The level cap of your pet is tied to your weapon's ilvl.
Pets in general have become tanky devastating murder machines at ilvl 119.

Oh yeah, I heard about that pet+ilvl buff. Man, BST has come a really long way from the days of "Brady Games said you guys steal exp!!"

What's better to use nowadays, FFXiclopedia or BlueGartr (or just use both)?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

Get ready for Merit Points 2: Merit Harder. And you won't be able to get them from Abyssea.

Where does it say you can't get Job Points in Abyssea?

Also, it seems they're finally enabling combat and magic skillups in Campaign battles. Something they should have done years ago, but hey, every little bit helps.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, that sounds kind of stupid, almost like a bug or an oversight but I can't really tell. How is EXP gain rate outside of Abyssea these days?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

quote:

Change respawn system for certain NMs in Mamook, Halvung, and Arrapago Reef

Sounds like they're going to make it easier to spawn Gulool/Gurfurlur/Medusa.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, GM Melvus is still around? He was the best GM on Gilgamesh.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I'm a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt.

That said, I picked XI up again for shits and giggles. Stuck on Asura with no one I know to play with. Is there even enough of a goon presence left to switch servers? At this point I'd just like some conversation while I plug along with alter egos.

I hear Asura is the official Reddit server! :suicide:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow, I think there's something to be said about a game that's only tolerable when you're hacking in your own QoL adjustments.

And to think I played this for almost 7 years.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, how delusional can you possibly get??

Also, you have a YEAR to move to PC if for some reason you haven't yet. It's not like they're turning off the service tomorrow and deleting all your characters.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Not gonna lie, if I could pay a couple bucks extra a month for a FFXI/FFXIV all-access subscription, I'd jump on that and mess around in Vana'diel some more.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Must already be November for the proofreaders

"A lot of stats, we're not getting paid enough for this."

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Did the devs ever mention if they were going to add an in-game achievement system?

I know titles have existed since the game started, but it would be cool if there was an easy in-game way to see what you've earned vs. what's still to be done, and the requirements for each.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

megalodong posted:

tfw you soloed bst to 75 in the boyahda tree.

At least Elder Goobbues would sometimes drop tree cuttings!

:smithicide:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh hey, was the free login campaign extended to June or something? Maybe I should let FFXI reinstall and update itself tonight so I can gently caress around and get some trusts or something.

Can you still uncap FPS with Windower?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

blablablabla posted:

Yeah no I wanted some good old, pull one crab at a time so a band of a few players could kill it. Oh well

If you are looking for a good old fashioned late-90's early-2000's MMO grind, you might want to look into Project 1999.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

So i'm going to be picking this up in the Steam sale, since i've gotten pretty bored of FFXIV and this looks more like my kind of MMO. I see that the OP mentions that most of the goons are on Asura, so does that mean that it's the most populated server? I'd like to get on a server with a decent amount of players, after all.

Also, out of curiousity, does this have anything like the glamour system in FFXIV to let you change how stuff looks?

Not currently playing, but AFAIK Asura is currently *the* server to join.

FFXI doesn't have a glamour system in the sense that you apply one item's appearance to another. Instead, they added the /lockstyle command earlier this year. It locks in your current gear appearance. It gets cancelled if you log out, zone, equip a weapon with different animations, or get stripped by a mob effect.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh wow, they finally added the Relic weaponskills to the auto-translate list. It only took them 12 years! :haw:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Place Ad Here posted:

Hi goons :)

Is this game still terrible?

The last time you asked you mentioned you were missing stuff like sky/sea/Dynamis/etc. So that's gonna depend on whether the current endgame content will tickle that fancy. Hopefully someone can answer that.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 27, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger and start up a brand-new character on Asura soon. Since it's been so long, I just need some pointers:

Is there a guide to quickly getting set up with the basics, essential items, and good trusts I should have?

I'm gonna main BST. What are the best subs for leveling and endgame?

Should I just cash in sparks for gear as I level and ignore the AH?

How's the controller support on Steam? When I played way back in the day I never needed to use the mouse since everything was keyboard-driven. I figure that a 360 gamepad would be able to handle whatever I want to do in the game aside from chat, but I'd like to know if that's doable.

Is Windower still a thing and should I be using it? I'd especially like to know if there's any working 60fps hacks.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 31, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Majumbo posted:

I started a new character about a month ago so here are some answers.

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, just being able to gently caress around and steamroll over Vana'diel is what I've wanted for a long time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I decided to start a new character. So I'm on Asura as Tavaria, gil plz thx.

So yeah, the game plays a lot better than I remember. Trusts and Records of Eminence go a long way. I already got this elvaan trust for free just for summoning Naji once.

Should I run to the other starting nations, tag all the home points, and get their newbie trusts?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dreamy Souffle posted:

If you want! They're decent trusts. But if you don't want to spend a day running around, you can check that same RoE tab that gave you Valaineral and keep summoning the trusts it gives you/do the objectives to summon them and you'll get a decently well-rounded party by the end of it. It's tedious, but at least you won't be pressured to run all over the world because Kupipi is the only other non-Unity WHM trust available this early and in Windurst, or etc.

Oh wow, that is super easy. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm online now if anyone's around and can pearl me.

Edit: I have been pearled, thanks Shinjobi!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 6, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sorry for the double post. Still trying to re-learn things and understand all the new additions.

Am I right in thinking that I should work on the RoV quests as they become available and get them all done ASAP? Seems like the game is pushing me in that direction. I was already able to unlock subjobs with a key item from one of the first quests, so that's pretty awesome.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It was a lot less painful unlocking BST the second time around. gently caress you, Kraken! :hellyeah:

Yesterday I did the Bastok Rank 1-2 mission. I started as BST 1 from Bastok and just fought everything in my way while running from there to the top of Palborough, ended up at BST 19 and got all the fetich pieces. Fun as hell, never felt like I was grinding.

I also appreciate all the readily accessible inventory options. I'm not stressing out about gobbiebag upgrades yet because I don't have to!

CrashScreen posted:

I'm trying to progress the Journey to Bastok mission right now. I've been asked to mine some Mine Gravel from Palborough Mines. Is there anything I can do to increase the success rate of this? I keep breaking all of my pickaxes on mostly pebbles, and the mining nodes don't seem to stick around for very long. I've been bouncing around the place and mining where I can, but I've been at this for a while now. It doesn't seem to end!

Also, I actually had no idea about RoV so I'm going to have to go and do that myself, too!

For that mission, you need to mine a Mythril Seam, not a Mining Point. According to FFXIclopedia, there's one at (F-7) on the first floor and (I-9) on the third floor.

And yeah, definitely work on RoV as you go. From my experience so far it's interwoven with the main story missions so you may want to open your preferred wiki and keep an eye on the requirements. The bonuses you get are game-changing.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 10, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just started the Magicite mission and hoo boy I forgot how stupid the pre-reqs are for that. You have to collect all those key items that let you get through the beastmen strongholds. And you have to go to Beadeaux twice because of the two NMs you have to kill there. At least now it's actually fun to push through an area filled with hostile mobs with your own personal army.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gruknor posted:

That is a fun part. You also have access to go to go and survival guide warps. That makes traveling a bit easier.

Yeah, being able to warp straight to the zone entrances is very nice.

I haven't had much time to play so I just spent my last two logins getting the Beadeaux key items. Now I'm ready to go touch the magicites. Also I hit BST 40 so I can do the AF1 quest now, just like old times.

Oh, quick question. Do Unity RoE tasks reset daily?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm looking at endgame stuff and I can't decide which ultimate weapon to get for BST. I always wanted an Aymur for the ridiculous pet bonuses on it, but Tri-Edge has the highest damage and lets you do Level 4 skillchains...

At least I know if I take PUP all the way to 99 again I can just get Kenkonken and be done with it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

For bst/pup boost your pet. The new aeonics are largely out of reach for most/all players, they need very difficult nms killed.

Aymur it is, then. Thanks!

Actually, when I was leveling in Onzozo a couple days ago, I saw my old buddy Mysticmaker Profblix. Then I remembered I wanted to build a MAB+ set for buffing Primal Rend, so maybe I can finally do that.

...Fucker still hasn't dropped that earring. :argh:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The FPS limit unlocker is nice when I'm running around in the wilderness, but I get massive animation lag when there's more than a few characters on-screen. And you have to do the setting that caps at 60fps, because if you try to uncap it, animations go haywire and it makes your character look like they're sprinting on ice. It's annoying, especially since this is now a 14-year-old game running on code held together by chewing gum and shoelaces. No idea if there's a way to fix it.

Also - Profblix finally dropped that goddamned earring! :woop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just hit 75, and spent a little time this morning getting the 3 merits for the first post-Maat limit break. Escha Zi'Tah is pretty nice with all the vultures in the middle, but it's a pain in the rear end to deal with all the corses and skeletons running around.

LiquidFriend posted:

Old habits die hard.

I am enjoying my new smoker though. Made some delicious brisket and burnt ends this weekend :)

How many fire crystals did that take? Also what's the cap on Smoked Brisket? I've been thinking about working on Cooking so I can make my own BST jugs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I haven't played FFXI since 2012. I've had a feeling of nostalgia for it. Is it worth it to come back? What's changed?

I think this is a great time to come back to the game if you played it for any decent length of time in the past. You'll be able to appreciate all the changes.

A brief summary of what's new:

- Seekers of Adoulin, a full-fledged expansion with 2 new jobs (Geomancer and Rune Fencer).
- Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, a "finale" storyline which ties together all the previous stories and gives you game-breaking key items as rewards. These do things like grant massive EXP bonuses, greatly reduce delays on time-gated content (e.g. Assault tags refresh in 10 minutes instead of 24 hours), and much more.
- The Trust system, a feature which lets you collect and summon AI-controlled NPC helpers. This allows you to solo level and clear almost all of the game's content by yourself.
- Job Points, basically Merit Points for Lv99 jobs.
- Equipment with "item levels", similar to modern MMOs. The current cap brings players to an effective strength of Lv119 and there's no plans to change it.
- New fast-travel systems, including the ability to travel to any home point you've visited, a network of "survival guides" (floating books usually placed at the beginning of dungeon areas), and Adoulin's proto-waypoints.

There's more, but that's the big stuff I can think of right now.

If you quit in 2012, I think people were still doing Abyssea alliances for EXP and Voidwatch was the endgame. And if you do start a new character, it's never been easier to level.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Yep, it was Abyssea all day every day. You have convinced me, I'll have to download it when I'm actually home and not working tons of freakin overtime.

I played Rift for some time and FF 14, and while they were cool, they all felt the same, where as FF11 always felt different (and more fun).

Thanks!

:getin: Remember to get on Asura 'cause that's where the party's at! Everyone in GetOut is sacked so it should be easy to get a pearl.

And just to give an example of how fast leveling is right now, I'm grinding out BST in Zeruhn Mines. By stacking GoV page 4 and turning on all the relevant RoE tasks, I went from 75 to 77 in about a half hour. And I "only" have a global 60% EXP bonus from the first two RoV key items, so once I take care of the next set of missions, that will be going much faster.

Also, all the items you amass down there (bat wings, flint stones, Zeruhn soot) can be traded in repeatable quests for easy fame in a few cities.

I enjoy FFXIV but I just had to take a break from it for a while. I actually unsubbed from it a couple months ago before I moved since I knew I wouldn't have time for it. And yeah, there really isn't anything quite like FFXI.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just plowed through CoP up through 3-2 so I could get more RoV done. Rolling along pretty well. I'm 81 BST now so I should be able to handle a good amount of the content in my way before I need to take it to 99. Now I have to do ToAU through M18.

Also,

Shinjobi posted:

I don't like the idea at all but I'm not gonna pay for it so really it changes nothing for me.

:agreed:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Atori-Tutori kicked my rear end. :(

It's ok though, I got 4 and a half merits just farming for two fossilized fangs. Still need the bones.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Celador posted:

I think you can buy the stuff from the login campaign moogle.

Tried that. I didn't see the items anywhere in his list.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Alright, so who do I have to talk to to get a pearl?

All goons can generate one for you. Post your character name here when you're logged in. Also troll through the thread for character names and bug people.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nice to see that "wait until JP midnight" is still alive and well in the land of Aht Urhgan. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Ride the kits? I saw some kits at the various crafting vendors. I thought they were for specific items only, are they instead like cheaper bundeled crafting mats?

And food helps level crafting? :psyduck:

Yeah, more or less. The kits are alternate methods of crafting certain items to skill up. The only downside is you can't HQ with them. And depending on what you're crafting, it could be cheaper to do it the traditional way and get the materials off the AH.

And yeah, there are new food items that increase skillup chance:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Crafting_Food

frodnonnag posted:

They frequently do double skillup weeks for crafting. There is also a quested helm in soa that gives a boost. Ride the kits for easy lowlevel then research the cheapest poo poo. Dont forget food.

I gotta remember all that for when I finally decide to do some crafting. I imagine there's a huge AH run for crystals during those times, huh?