Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I watched a friend playing earlier today, in less then an hour of all grinding he found over a dozen pieces of gear inside of treasure chests. That a pretty great fix for the games anemic AH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Skilling up in this game is still awful and should be killed off.

Buy skill-up pages.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Sweet jesus Regain+5 on that one

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I've been playing on and off since launch. I just need to hit 99 once and then I can let go. :negative:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My server is dead as poo poo and finding Aby parties is pretty much impossible, what's the best place to grind out levels 90-99? Been waiting 13 years to finish leveling. :(

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I did google, all I found were severely out-dated guides and a lot of stuff that hasn't been updated since WotG. I was assuming Bourbon Ostrich was the most convenient place, but after rounding a corner and getting obliterated by a level 99 slime last night I was wondering if anywhere else was better. I really just need to kill the Shadow Lord so I can do Rhapsodies already though. Thanks. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I had originally played at release, banged my head against the game for 4-5 months and gave up. So in early 2016 I picked up "FINAL FANTASY® XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition" on Steam for about $10, because I heard they had planned on gently sunsetting the game in such a way that they're going to do maintenance stuff but otherwise not be adding any new content or expansions. Did they actually do that? Is the package I picked up earlier everything that I need to experience the entire game in its current state?

You have everything. Notably this includes a bunch of mini-expansions of dubious quality. hmu on steam if you need information on what to do as a terrified newbie as I just figured that all out the hard way.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

do you just play every mmo in existence?

wow i can't believe i'm asking someone else this because i'm usually the guy that people ask this of

Only the dead ones. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Cart Mountain posted:

Does XI interact with Steam in any weird way (I.E. If I purchase it on sale through steam right now I always have to launch it from there or something) or can I buy it on Steam , copy the key and register it online to my SquareEnix account , and continue to launch the game through Windower/PlayOnline?

It works fine, that's what I did. And the goodies it comes with are great.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Ambuscade is a 99+ event you sign up for and get rewards from in mhaura

Also changing jobs without changing zones twice is real nice.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Kortel posted:

Shiva down, I forgot how much I hate the zones leading up to it. Loving all the new save crystals though. Making travel faster over all. I've seen people on mounts other than Chocobos, how do I get one?

Do you have the raptor mount yet? Quest in Jueno at the chocobo stables to unlock real mounts if not.

In addition to login points you can also get some mounts from mog pells if you have any laying around. Jetski Squid or no animation Magic Jar for instance.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

All the RoV bonuses at the very least up to 5 trusts are extremely worth it. Don't do the other stories first, RoV recaps some stuff, but really it's just hints at future events because RoV involves time travel. It introduces new players to every expansion's story in order, so as a new player it's arguably the best way to work your way into them all. After RoV is done, then I recommend going back and finishing the others in order. You've already pretty much beaten the main vanilla story by getting to the Shadow Lord fight.

I thought it was a nice touch that they changed the way the a lot of RoV missions go depending on how much you already had completed. It's the best use of a time traveler in an MMO story I can think of.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Kazy posted:

No it's the one where the guild spent 18 hours trying to kill it before giving up.

Also the one where another guild spent months working their way through a notorious monster system only to have the end boss be a placeholder. (Look up ATNM Test)

Wasn't the 18 hour fight due to the alliance trying to brute force the boss down through effectively infinite healing?

Now that I'm actually into the endgame properly and am doing lots of group content, I've discovered that the pubs in this game are alarmingly clueless for the most part. I don't get how people have played this game for like more then a decade and still gently caress up skill chains and poo poo.

Also Puppetmaster is officially the coolest.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

sounds like my Kam'lanaut farming the last week

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yeah, the only gear you really want* while leveling is a decent weapon, and that's only if if you're on a job that hits things. Grab a Sparks weapon ever 10 levels or so and like, a moogle costume or something.

*if you have the chocobo shirt/hat available(which you should), wear them all the time. They're stylish and wildly overpowered below level 30.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Verbose posted:

Really it's just the part where I have to run around Davoi to open that barrier

What a coincidence, I just helped Tsuru do that one and I think it might have been the single worst thing in the game. gently caress Davoi.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

TheBoat posted:

Afterglow is an an effect that a rema gets that affects the weaponskill. With ochain and daru, the afterglow does nothing.

Hey, it's does something!

... that something is just entirely useless and not tied to a weapon skill is all.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Fridurmus posted:

Nah, I mean more, what are some basic goals to shoot for? Aegis and Ochain are expensive enough that it feels like they're fairly long-term goals.

Also, what the gently caress do you even do to make money now?

Ambuscade, Salvage, Gain XP sparks cleaving, grinding Unity NMs, HT-VD Avatars...

Pretty much anything is a decent avenue for making cash provided you're killing things fast enough.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Assuming you mean WKRs, you're teleporting directly from one home point to another?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yeah, RoV involves some shenanigans that involve every other plot in the game, making you get a ways into each one before you move on. The RoV missions themselves also change slightly based on this. Early RoV spoiler: Time travel is involved, you either have already saved the world from X threat, or the time traveler knows you will save the world from X in the future and hurries you along. So the RoV plot is slightly different for new players compared to old players. It's a nice touch.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

That, that's not fair.

Scholar is ok.

gently caress wotg

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Verbose posted:

I like how the login campaign has just absolute crap.

Do they plan what they're gonna do? I want shantotto II and some goblin stew

gobbie stew is almost never in the roation, Shantotto II is frustratingly rare. For the stew at least, the next time the Mog Garden event rolls around it should be in there for cheap.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

And once you're in escha zi'tah, anyone with a decent -PDT set and a bit of cleave can get you to 99 in like 30 minutes. 10 if the Gain XP RoE is up.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I'm a degenerate who loves grinding, but I'm on a different server with a friend from home. I wish you luck finding someone with base 119 gear and like, the Shockwave WS who can spare like five minutes.

Did you already Limit Break by the way?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

cleaving escha zi tah is always packed but the gear required to cleave escha ru aun makes it less appealing so it’s usually up for grabs. namely the two wings off to the side past the dragon straight from the entrance.

i never got anyone from 1-99 in 10-30 minutes but i did get to chain 454 last time i did it which took a bit but got someone (specifically a COR so they had bonus + rings) from 1-99 in that time

but yeah, 3m is kinda steep if you’re just trying to burn one up. sometimes you can leech off groups in zi tah if you ask but it’s a total gamble.

edit: well not just gear but the casters are really not BST cleave friendly so it’s pretty much BLU exclusive

Anything with a decent Great Sword skill can do it slowly via Shockwave too.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yes. Use the basic normal Ayame trust, she will hold TP to open for you every time. Use a WS on anything after summoning her to activate that part of her AI.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I have good news and bad news, if you're getting that close, you probably already should have beaten her but she's HORRIBLY BUGGED*

If you're taking enough damage to blow through your WHM trust's MP, grab a good tank. I'm guessing you don't have August, so go with AAEV, Valaineral or Trion. Curilla works and is less likely to run into the bug if you don't have anyone better though.

Zeid II and Ayame are an amazing set for DD, and will skillchain with you. You need to make sure you DO NOT get a Fragmentation or Light skillchain.

Joachim is a good support and is better the more slow melee guys you have. Koru-Moru and Yoran-Oran are the best healing combo in the game IMO. Koru will also spam Paralyze on her, which is great.

Mumor AND Uka are a good pair for free healing, haste, and dancer debuffs. Both kinda suck separately though.

*Siren absorbs wind, but due to High Quality Squeex QA she convinces Trust AI to spam Wind damage on her at all times. I'm going to write that off as ~deepest lore~ about her nature as a corrupted seducer and outcast avatar. Here's a quote from one of the wikis:

quote:

Due to an AI issue, Alter Egos which have elemental damage spells including wind will prioritize using wind damage against Siren. This is less consistent on Iceday. Alter Egos will Magic Burst other elements if they cannot burst wind. If not for this issue, Siren would be easily soloable at 75. A combination of physical damage Alter Egos as a player with a main job that can use elemental magic (Black Mage, Red Mage, Summoner, Scholar) would be effective.

And here's the good wiki's page on her, if you need more help. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Siren_(Notorious_Monster)

Good luck dude. I'd help, but I'm on a backwater server. :v:

Edit: Also if you, like me, didn't know her deal at first: Her insanely overpowered Silence is a cone. Turn her away from your idiot WHM trusts.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 26, 2018

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Anyone with any decent experience with Automaton gearswap tables? Mine keep exploding and I decided to main PUP again because I'm a huge idiot.

Note: The gearswap code keeps exploding, not the automaton. He's fine.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Eighty posted:

Been getting the urge to play again, and have a little bit of free time coming up in a few months. I was thinking to finally 'finish' this game.

How long would it take someone who quit sometime after completing abyssea (thanks db!) To solo their way through the final expansion?

Do you mean final expansion as in SoA, or RoV, the capstone to the story that was released for free after?

For RoV if you've already completed the Vanilla/RoZ/CoP/ToAU/WotG/Aby story content, it's not that long. RoV is cool, but the first half of it is a FFXI clipshow/nostalgia trip around Vana'diel. SoA also had a cool story, and is pretty long.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Nope. Thankfully.

rip in pepperoni my first few years playing this stupid game

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

This is why I stay on my backwater server.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yeah, if you're stuck soloing, buying Aegis Shields at the Sparks vendor and vendoring them is decent gil while leveling.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 16, 2018

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

star eater posted:

acheron shields :P

Do you not routinely buy and vendor Relics? Pfft. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

this first boss is getting through the absurd and arcane registration process.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

speaking of, my account lapsed because uh...

no idea, actually. Sqeenix just doesn't want my money I guess? I'd log onto the website to fix it but... that's going to suck.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

See on live I play whatever because FFXI players are so fickle and weird that if you show up to a party as a PUP in random mishmashed crap but parse high enough while pretending not to speak anyone's languages they'll just roll with it to avoid looking like they're out of the loop.

But I also play on Phoenix, where the playerbase is slightly more aware of how clueless they are. This method doesn't work as well on Asura.

Granted, I had a falling out with the guy I used to duo with so I rarely ever team anymore anyway.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

no idea what layer of hell you're stuck in on that server, but a monkey necklace for TP gen before combat might be a decent investment. movespeed of some kind would also probably be a good idea, ninja shoes or something.