Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Ok, so if I haven't played this horrible game in a decade what do I need to buy? The last expansion I bought was WotG, so does buying the normal Aldouin expansion give me Abyssea or do I need to buy the Ultimate Starter Edition?

Honestly is it worth recovering my account with a single 75 and Zilart/CoP story completion or would starting from scratch with 30 free days be more efficient money-wise?

Can I just buy off Steam and apply the key(s) to my old account?

Is there anything else I should know (besides Don't Do It)?

And yes, I know how the game has changed and all the things mentioned in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

What was Aldoulin like at launch? The whole Colonization thing sounds interesting on paper, but it's one of the few systems that isn't alive or dead, just... gone.

I really, really do not regret not playing this game in over ten years, but if I had, I would have liked to drop in at the end of Abyssea and see what that was like before being around for Aldoulin launch, I think.

Though honestly it seems like most of what makes current FFXI at all tolerable was added in the last few years.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I don't have Abyssea or Aldoulin and I've done all the old mission content and RoV as far as I can. What else can/should I poke at before the free login campaign ends?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I've settled into things pretty well overall but I still don't understand Abyssea/Voidwatch at all. All the stones and atma and abyssite and assorted jargon just makes my eyes glaze over. It feels like Escha with five extra layers of complexity but I still can't really wrap my head around it. The wiki is informative but difficult (for me at least) to follow. Are there any good visual guides out there?

Also, is Abyssea basically deprecated content? A lot of RoEs say 'non-Abyssea areas' and the XP I was getting at-level in one was garbage.

I get that Abyssea was unpopular, but was it that bad beyond just nuking the economy and replacing HNM items people fought for over seven years with the equivalent of welfare greens?

I can't imagine anything being worse than the first year of WotG. At least people engaged with Abyssea. People basically looked at WotG and went back to Whitegate to do Nyzul/Einherjar.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Kongming posted:

Abyssea was unpopular? I loved it, and it was extremely active when it was current content. Abyssea was also THE way to level before Adoulin and Trusts came out. It's just totally irrelevant now unless you want to make an Empyrean Weapon.

Edit: I guess to kind of answer your question it would be "don't worry about it" unless you want to do the aforementioned Emp grind in which case I'd have to ask why. Abyssea is not as complex as it seems but like everything in FFXI there are a lot of layers to it. It's useless for EXP now and there is no item level gear except for reforged Empyrean armor (which I think you can just reforge the NQ and not have to go through the Abyssea upgrade process anyway).

My understanding was that when it was all over the game was left in a much shallower state with really unbalanced jobs and a nonfunctional economy relative to the 75 era it replaced. Even Square-Enix said that it was a mistake, supposedly?

Anyway, the reason I was asking was because there are some accessories from there that are still good, and I either can't figure out how to get most ilvl-era gear solo or need a group for it, so I thought I'd start more toward the bottom and work up.

I looked at the upcoming March campaign and wow, that's pretty dull. Are the campaign bonuses more like February or March in terms of how much gets boosted?