Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Looks like Shantotto II is in the login event starting Monday. 300 points, comes about rarely and is so insanely far ahead of any dps cipher you will ever get - don't miss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

orange juche posted:

Oh my god Shantotto II is fully stupid.

She's just a complete monster.
Lol "Lesson in Pain" good lord what a monster Trust.

She's insane by comparison even to the other casters because she uses level one spells and never runs out of mana, but they hit just as hard. Not to mention massive skill chain damage.

Friend and I played a lot during last year but hit this odd wall of not knowing how to really push farther into content. The big wiki guide is helpful but I feel like there's a gap somewhere around needing Rema or just what you can accomplish in ambuscade only. Tried some of the upgrade path for AF but didn't quite get it. Can't solo the last area NMs, can't reloably do the fight for malignant set on hard, etc. Also rolled on bahamut but thinking maybe more activity on asura? Back when we started people said the farmers and bots were so bad you couldn't xp on the plus weeks etc.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Use the guide I wrote specifically to counter this problem:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Endgame_Progression_Guide

Unless that was the guide you meant, in which case oops

Cool, thanks! This looks way more in depth and goes farther than what I saw previously. We played for about six months very early in the pandemic, I think the farthest guide was like the 119 Quickstart and it vomited all the endgame activities at you. Lot of YouTube content was "ambuscade carries all new people just do that."

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Make sure to use Windower, really makes the game much more bearable. There's also some graphics mods you can do to make it look really good for an early-era mmo. A friend and I recently put about 100 hours in during covid, got through all the story and made it to middle end-game. There is something super solid and zen about the combat in it that really hooks me, despite being an action-combat fan.

Another QOL thing is replacing the map image files with the fully annotated/revealed ones, makes life a lot easier.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
I vaguely recall she saves us or futuregirl or both at some point, but wasn't the main hook that she was PirateKingMan's daughter and we had to help her early on? My memory of how it all originally played out is slightly askew as I came back and did a full playthrough of rhapsodies instead of the real story grind.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Last time I messed with it on the deck, the performance was very bad. Did you have any luck on that front?

I had it running on Steamdeck and it played very well. Takes quite a bit of setup with their launcher but didn't have to do anything else performance wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
DNC also has run speed in addition to sneak/invis, it's pretty great for the amount of running and a lot of the quests later. When I re-ran the MSQ/RoV it was a life-saver. I also got COR pretty early for Bolter's roll, ton of movement speed on lucky number to help with some of the more insane long distance running (looking at you, WotG). With Trusts, class soloing isn't as important as class utility to mitigate the other factors in the MSQ like distance and running past stuff.