Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

fireshit (with 119 empy feet)

What's this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Prepare to Cosmically Elucidate.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I look forward to needing the 2100 gift title to start one job's weapon.

(no not confirmed, but I mean, come on)

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

It helps with "keeping people subscribed past the last content update"

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

In general, if you need information on missions/quests for anything abyssea and earlier you should look for on FFXIclopedia, and for anything newer, use BGwiki.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Oh hey so FFXI mobile is still going along.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Probably returning sometime soon, left right before the final Rhapsodies update. What's a few good ways to get money these days?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm gearing up my Scholar and am almost done with getting the best non-escha gear I can get (fast cast, MAB/MACC/MBD stuff), mostly just missing AF3 feet and the Tenzen necklace, and maybe a few macc pieces that I'm still looking over. That being said, as a 8 JP holder, what all am I gonna be expected to juggle in an Apex party? I figure I'll at least be spreading storm spells, either Thunderstorm because Thunder V/VI is the strongest, or Hailstorm for the INT bonus, but anything else? Are kills slow enough to where I'll actually be getting stratagems back mid-fight? Am I going to be the sole MB maker? AoE regen?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

If you're talking about Grandmasters, I don't think it's ever coming to the US.

Not quite-
https://m.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/4iwc77/everything_we_know_about_ffxi_mobile_updated/

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

:psyduck:

You'd think they were threatening to burn down Windurst to read that. Are people not aware that the game is basically in maint mode since almost all the PS2 dev kits are dead?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'd pay some bucks for a FFXI version of the fantasia but I'm willing to bet the same bucks that race is something embedded so deep into the code that it'd break the entire game.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Hivac posted:

Sorry for asking so many dumb questions, but I've been messing around with BLU on the side and is there any decent method for getting stuff from enemies that you massively outlevel? I can sit afk and go to the dang store and come back and an orc still doesn't have enough TP to use Battle Dance.

Get them to less than 25% HP, they'll weaponskill at 1000 TP rather than 3000 TP. DMG:1 weapons. Dia spam generates 100 TP a cast.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Resubbing after nearly 2.5 years because I've got some IRL friends who are getting into XI after being sort of meh on XIV until Shadowbringers. I'm assuming Ambuscade is something I can run relatively painlessly to start getting back up to speed, or should I go back to refocusing on Escha NMs for stuff?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I came back hard in the past month and have been barreling forward in gearing my RDM (pretty certain I can debuff the wave 2 Dyna-D bosses and Omen caturae now) and am about halfway through Coalition ranks for Epeolatry.

The CP powerlevelling shouts on Asura drive me nuts, like it'd be nice to have a little quiet from time to time.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

While this thread is moderately active: how is Ninja nowadays? I've been enjoying leveling it, but I hear it's in a pretty useless niche nowadays in endgame. If I level it up to 99, will I be able to use it at all at meaningful endgame stuff?

So long as you can read, follow instructions, and understand the basic mechanics of the game, you're already ahead 95% of the paint-chip-eating playerbase on Asura that needs REMA weapons and Idris GEOs to fight apex mobs. The sad news is that katana weaponskills are kind of meh and any utility that NIN has (such as their ability to self-skillchain into magic burst, various low-to-mid-strength enfeebles, enmity +/-, subtle blow) isn't going to move the needle in most 135+ content, moreso in alliance fights. If you do a bunch of lowman stuff you'll find yourself getting more out of it, but any content that requres a deep drill into being extremely good (or just having a big number) at something will find NIN to be lacking.

Gorelab posted:

What's a fun damage focused class that isn't too expensive to gear to level on the side anyways? I'm thinking THF because the gimmicks look amusing/extra farmability but I know nothing really.

Dancer. Rudra's Storm is a stupidly good WS able to keep pace in a WS zerg and in lowman there's a lot of people who underestimate DNC's WS/skillchain potential, easily able to skillchain with itself while supercharging the closing Rudra's for extra damage, on top of having innate +23% SC damage. Not to mention the general survivability and utility that DNC brings: unique EVA/DEF/MEVA down debuff, debuff that increases crit rate, JA haste for anyone hitting a targeted mob, TP based healing both ST and AoE, TP-based Erase with AoE capability on cooldown, -damage taken stance, +double attack stance. It's a great job if you don't mind being overlooked but it definitely has a lot of things going for it that NIN, sadly, doesn't.

That being said, if you gear Dancer you'll also basically gear Thief as well as they share a lot of sets, so the sidegrades you need to do is get i119 TP gear to apply TH8 and keep beating on the mob to make that number go up (this is a quick and dirty explanation of things). That way if people look at you funny when you say you can bring a dancer, you can add on "also TH8 thief" and you might get more bites just because of drop rates. :v:

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 25, 2019

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I only this last Sunday botfarmed out 50k beads, rip future Aeonics.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The good news is definitely a lower bar of access to Escha drops, which honestly I will never complain about. Wyrm Ash prices may or may not be worth the wait but until then I'm just glad I got a pain-free Eabani earring and later duo of ludicrous RDM enhancing/enfeebling duration pieces.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If there's one reason I'd want a legacy server it'd be to do all the CoP fights in their levelcapped state but agreed that all the bullshit required to get there may be a bit much.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Francis posted:

What was Aldoulin like at launch? The whole Colonization thing sounds interesting on paper, but it's one of the few systems that isn't alive or dead, just... gone.

I really, really do not regret not playing this game in over ten years, but if I had, I would have liked to drop in at the end of Abyssea and see what that was like before being around for Aldoulin launch, I think.

Though honestly it seems like most of what makes current FFXI at all tolerable was added in the last few years.

Adoulin launch was 50 characters throwing themselves against colonization reives since the Colonization Rate inversely determines how much damage reives take... and it started at 1%, and ilvl gear wasn't out yet. Wildskeeper reives were equally hilarious, except the body count was closer to 100. No Trusts, no sparks- those would be introduced about nine months later.

Ceizak/Foret/Morimar fractures/Delve were the first ilvl content, which was a hilarious jump from 99 to i113 and then i119 equipment. Tojil was the most farmed Delve for a while, as SCHs could stunlock their more vicious TP moves and Monks were briefly FOTM because of Formless Strikes/Hundred Fists being able to cheese two of the NMs, Tojil included (also because they had A+ weapon skill but at least various other jobs had that. Distract/Frazzle also didn't exist yet).

The first Skirmish was released not too long after Delve and I remember being confused on why I would spend time on a gacha system for i106 gear when I could just tough it out in Delve and get far better rewards.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Retail FFXI is a living anthropological experience that provides you exponential levels of advancement over how things were,

but if you engage the systems as they are,

summon a few trusts and pull of a skill chain into a magic burst,

you can start to see FFXI As She Was Designed.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

please make sure you are killing the correct leeches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

50-odd here, much love to my friend who got one after FOUR