Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

quote:

Shorter Play Experiences
For Final Fantasy XI in the future, we would like to continue moving in the direction of having meaningful play experiences even if you only have a short time to play. Right now, there are elements, like forming up parties, that can take a long time, and we would like to keep content experiences to two hours maximum.

For this reason, we would like to continue to add elements which players can enjoy solo, and will also continue to look into whether we can make a mechanism in which solo players can challenge content previously designed for six person parties. Additionally, we will cut back on the amount of 18 person content that we add in the future while continuing to implement main content for up to six players maximum. We also would like to set up convenient transportation so that it takes players no longer than five minutes to access the content they are looking to participate in.

It seems my plan of not seriously playing the game, even though I like it, until they casualized it is paying off... Now to resub and get every job to 99 and every ultimate weapon -1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

The only hard part about leveling up is not knowing what to do. If you are a true newbie to this game and don't have anyone to turn to for advice, here is a small sampling of very important things the game makes no mention of, let alone how to unlock them: Subjobs, chocobos, advanced jobs, limit breaks. Then there's all the time gating and the stuff you should unlock ASAP to build up stones, imprimiturs, ect. And then there's stuff that has no mention in game but that you'd probably happen upon eventually. Such as Homepoint teleports, maps, FoV/GoV, ect....

I still wonder how the first Japanese player who happened upon the subjob quest reacted. In a game who's quests give mostly worthless rewards, even back in the day, this random unassuming quest gives you one of the game's defining mechanics.

As for the limitbreak quests, only 2 of them are actually difficult anymore. 60 and 70. 60 can be trivialized with help, but god help you if you're anything but a WHM or THF for the 70 one.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I'm on Asura as Cardan. But if this is as it sounds, a non goon run LS taking refugees, I doubt they'd want to carry me as I just restarted literally a few days ago. If they wouldn't mind, however, I'd happily join and give them 50/50 odds of me becoming obsessed and playing a lot.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I'll join. I had planned on going it alone seeing how far I could get 'soloing' everything. But not doing that is better.

As I said above, I just started a few days ago as Cardan and just finished unlocking travel around the old world.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 30, 2015

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Anyone want to take bets on how many tabs you can have open in Firefox before it crashes or eats up 8GB of ram? I'm up to 60ish. And each one is vital to keeping me from forgetting what I need to do and how to do it.

Speaking of which, is anyone available to help in getting a testimony? The mobs are easy enough but they're usually surrounded by a swarm of other mobs.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

quote:

Players will be able to call forth alter egos in the following quest battles by progressing through the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions:

Shattering Stars / The Beast Within / Breaking the Bonds of Fate /
Achieving True Power / A Furious Finale / Survival of the Wisest

:raise:

Are the Rhapsodies quests all max level or are they level agnostic? I recently tried to get a friend to play this game but he got stuck on Maat and abandoned it. If the ability to summon for the limit breaks were possible when you actually need them, I might be able to convince him to try again.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Sarabutra zone line to Muhara is shorter but trickier to navigate without getting agro. Jeuno to Bastok/Selbina is much longer but safer if you're mindful... I'm assuming you're a Windhurst char and did the Muhara subjob? How did you get to Jeuno?..

Maybe I'm not remembering something; in the way too many times I've started new chars, I always started in Bastok and did the Selbina subjob quest. But you should have the Selbina homepoint. So you should port there and use that as your start point and run to Bastok then port back to Selbina and run to Sandoria.

...If you haven't run to Jeuno yet, be sure to get the wildly flapping books next to the FoV books at outposts and in random locations in zones without outposts. I think they're called survival guides? in anycase, they let you port between them for 500g and basically let you ignore who owns outposts. Most importantly for the trip to Jeuno, is that there are 2 on the way that you can use as checkpoints. One at the outpost that is usually monster owned in Pashhow and another near the zone line between Konschtat and Valkrum.

Also remember that all things that you can teleport to and from are visible on the map, now.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I would like to suggest that if you have any interest in playing this game within the next year but can't right now for whatever reason; subscribe for a month and pick up the ring that gives a 30k exp bonus every 2 hours. If you want to make a new character, that's fine as you can pick it up at level 1. Then just hold it until you can play.

It's part of the anniversary event and will disappear for a least a year on June 2nd. It's also insane. Especially when combined with the rhapsody bonus.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Downloading is the same as downloading anything else. Patching still takes forever but there are .zips with the patches you can download... from... somewhere. I looked upthread but I didn't see a link to it. But I'm fairly sure you can get a link to the patch off the bgwiki forums-- Here: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125605-May-Update-files-zipped

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

After the intro cutscene, find the anniversary moogle-- the one in Bastok is near the fountain in the market-- and get the 2 exp rings. You can get all the junk in the red chest on the other side of him, too, if you want but the important things in that chest are 3 'ciphers' on the last page.

After that, look on the menu for the quest tab and then under 'records of eminence' select 'objectives' then tutorial and active it. This will direct you to an NPC who will tell you about RoE.

Then, get signet, go kill some bees and in 5 minutes when you're level 7, look for the objective in the quest panel that talks about 'trusts'. This will lead you to an NPC who will give you a short quest that will give you your first trust. After you complete that quest, go back to the NPC who gave it to you and give him the ciphers you got from the red chest. That will give you 3 more trusts, of which you can summon 3 at a time. The moogle just gives a small refresh and the goblin is awesome.

Then stumble you're way around, slowly heading toward the Zulkhiem Dunes while killing everything on the way. But the time you reach them, you should be in the high teens or low 20s, at which point you should be able to do the first rhapsody mission in Selbina. Which, among other things, will let you bypass the subjob quest and let you summon a fouth trust.

Then keep killing crap until you're level 30ish, then head to Jeuno, where you'll spend 20 minutes watching very slow cutscenes. But most importantly, you should talk to Jochiam in Port Jeuno ASAP, so you start getting traverser stones... If there's a red chest next to him, get it and it'll make traverser stones irrelevant but I'm not sure if it's up right now.

That should get you 'started'. Other than that, also go and touch every crystal and survival guide you pass. And be sure to add as many RoE objectives as are relevant to what you're doing at the moment.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Speaking of starting timers for gated content, if you haven't already, you should go to Adoulin and start collecting imprimaturs. I don't know if they've lowered the requirements, but you used to have to have used a fairly large amount of them to progress in the Adoulin missions, which are required for unlocking many exping areas in Adoulin.

As for where to go after 70 that doesn't rely on killing mobs 20 levels below you, I'd like to know, too. Since that is a slow spot for me as well. In the old days I did Abyssea, now I have no idea what is a viable exping spot outside of it.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Your question might be answered by now but I swear Asura is much busier now that it was during the last time I played, a year ago. And maybe the year before that-- I tend to play for a few months at the start of every year.

I think a lot of people have been consolidating on Asura.

edit: I cannot begin to say how livid I am that the super saiyan Shantotto alter ego was a limited time thing... I swear to god, they better bring her back. And I really wish they would stop making things time limited.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Just so I'm sure. The Shantotto II alter ego for sale for 300 login points is the super-saiyan Shantotto I saw when I logged in for a few minutes a year or so ago, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I'm not sure if it's an error or something but the Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition appears to be 100% off, for a total of -0.01$ during This weekend's Steam sale... I've already bought it on Steam so I can't see what happens when you buy something with a negative price but I'm sure it's boring.