Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I chanced upon some extra crysta and felt like firing this up to see how long I can stand it (or get sucked in??? who knows) and made a new catgirl named Misandry

So far I killed one Mandragora and got 320 xp then died of poison. The more things change, the more they stay the same~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Made a new character on Asura to check out the changes during the free week. Character is Kouhainoticer.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oh so another thing about that Rhapsodies quest, you get a key item that's some kind of Gilgamesh letter fairly early on. This lets you bypass getting the items for the subjob quest, you can just go pick up your subjob from the quest giver. Would have been nice to know this before I went out and got them :v: Some nice JP player even just up and insisted on helping me get the magicked skull even though it's totally soloable. Oh well that one limit break quest will be easier later on I guess.

The quest also teleports you to Norg, so that's yet another obnoxious unlock that's not a problem anymore.

The only really annoying thing so far is I was able to do missions solo until I hit I think it's 2-1 where you have to sneak past a bunch of stuff that aggros to level 99s and I couldn't afford oil/powder yet, but I found something that sells for good new player money so I can go back and do that next time I play

Speaking of: oh my loving god they finally added a price history when you sell an item it only took them a loving decade holy poo poo I'm going to cry

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Valle posted:

Getting the new KI's will unlock sales from a moogle. The one in port bastok is just outside the mog house, east of the other moogles. He sells oils/powders for 500gil each. Not sure if the first KI is enough or what, but yeah.

KIs?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My experiences so far with XI have felt a lot like playing XIV 1.2ish, where they had really done a good job polishing the turd and it's very shiny but it's still at its core an inaccessible mess that only appeals to the devoted. I've had a great time traipsing around and soloing things and bathing in xp, easy unlocks, warps, sparks, but I can't imagine explaining this game to my friends who never played, or them caring about it at all.

I always suspected the RoE and Trust and such was to prepare for an eventual single player version, and I wasn't too far off in that it seems to be geared toward the eventual mobile version. However, there's still a lot of work to do to make it a compelling product launch that appeals to people who didn't waste their adolescence on the game.

I get the feeling that they're going to do something of a mini-ARR for the mobile version. I predict the rank quests will be reworked into basically a main story quest that guides you through the game's systems and holds your hand through 99 and unlocking everything important. There will also be quest icons and a quest tracker, but with a more elaborate system of icons to indicate the kind of quest and its relative importance since they're less straightforward than the kind in WoW/XIV. Some kind of duty system might also be implemented for things like the rank 2 cap fight which would be retuned appropriately, and for various other content, complete with a roulette that gives good bonuses for helping out. The multiple, confusing layers of fast travel systems will probably be collapsed into just telepoints. They'll probably change the UI for skills significantly to resemble hotbar MMOs more.

The biggest danger of the moblie version I think is some sort of NGE thing that doesn't appeal to new or old players, but I have some faith that they'll be able to pull off something compelling and fun.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm trying to decide what to "main", and although WAR is pretty cool it'd be nice to be the hotshit class of the moment for once (I regret being BLM instead of RDM back in the day). BLU sounds great for that, but I do love tanking in XIV/WoW so I'm curious if any tank classes are in demand. Additionally, what classes even ARE tank classes other than PLD and NIN? Also is DRK good yet?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

Tank classes are PLD NIN RUN but outside of a few ilvl130+ fights you don't really need tanks for anything (and tanking requires gear you don't have/don't want to put the effort into getting.)

Also play BST, the Ready changes moved it from a poo poo job to upper-tier (possibly #1) DD with only a handful of fairly easy to get pieces of gear once you have at least the 100 Job Point gift. You're basically a SMN that can do blood pacts every 10 seconds.

And people actually take BST to party/group content now? :monocle:

Oh unrelated, is there a way to get a Peridot that doesn't require doing some crafting bullshit? It's the only Gobbiebag I item that doesn't seem to be in stock and is expensive besides.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Peridot

There's a merchant in toau that sells it for 50kish, it also comes from a quest and some bcnms

50k is even worse than the auction house and like most of my money at this stage ugh

I wonder how long I could go treasure chest hunting in Castle Oztroja or Crawler's Nest or something before losing it.

E: Oh there is a quest that rewards it that seems annoying but much less so than opening like 20 treasure chests http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Beast_from_the_East

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 20, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've gotten to level 45 or something now (I can't even keep track) basically by killing things on the way to my next rank mission or whatever I'm looking to unlock. I got 4 levels just meeting the "Kill 20 aquans" challenge in Qufim on my way to Delfbutt for the Rank 3 missions. Naturally my gear is godawful garbage but it doesn't really matter, I just go get a new sword with sparks every now and then and keep plowing through poo poo.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gruknor posted:

That is how you are supposed to do it. Brown chests sometimes drop armor and weapons.

Yeah that's how I have what I have but I get really bored of opening them after a while :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Well that was a frightfully productive labor day. Got to level 70, beat the shadowlord, got blm and whm to 30 in a few minutes each, finally beat that fucker Maat the first time (though with trusts it's practically cheating.) There is so much unfinished business to attend to.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I only needed help with Shadowlord because none of my trusts could do magic damage :v: Those fuckers made quick work of him until he went physical immune.

Speaking of, I noticed when playing BLM that it seems like cast times and recast times are much shorter and the MP costs of spells were way lower. Was BLM balanced to be almost playable? :monocle:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Speaking of Vagary and other content I've only ever heard of but never done, I realized that now I'm way farther in the game than I ever made it after playing for years, I'm not quite sure what to plan next. I'd like to unlock BLU and catch that up to my 70 WAR since it seems to be the hotshit class and I'd like to be the hotshit class for once, gods drat it, but after that I'm not sure. At least I have the jp midnight for Aht Urghan access ticking down, but still, it took me a while to figure out that Boyhada Tree was a good place to xp to get to 70, I am so clueless after that.

In general I'll probably start working on Zilart missions and AF quests and such but getting to 99 for the first time also seems like a good focus, where are some good places to go to xp at level 70 and beyond?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks everyone, those are some good levelling spots, and some of them are in places I heard about but have only been to briefly so it will be fun to finally get to experience them in some capacity.

From there my only other big concern is gearing. I was told that the AF and upgrades combined with a spark weapon, along with whatever garbage I find in chests, is the way to go, but is there anything else I might want to look toward, either on the way or fresh at cap?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I finally got around to unlocking BLU last night right before my XIV raid, and got it to 31 on breaks and afterwards. I can't really find much information on acquiring blue magic in the post-trust-and-quadruple-digit-xp-on-DC-mobs era. What spells are must-haves? Do I have to worry about overlevelling whatever I'm killing to learn the ability? Are there any tricks to getting monsters to build TP quickly or anything like that? I've gotten a grand total of 0 Blue Magic spells so far :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ah I somehow missed that Blue Magic skill is important for learning too, that's suuuper important, thank you. Also the hunting grounds link especially is what I was looking for but couldn't find, so again, thanks for that!

I'm continually overflowing with sparks so I see a bright future of mashing through piles of Life-form study books too :toot:

e:

Filthy Haiku posted:

A fellow XIV goon and myself decided to give this a shot during the downtime until the XIV expansion and I have to say I'm (largely) having a lot of fun, Its been a blast revisiting old content with modern quality of life changes. Problem is we decided to go blue mage and dancer, and guess what, we're around level 50 and I have no idea what we're going to do about AF mats :suicide: A friend of mine gave me half of his money to start out with and while I tried to use it as judiciously as possible, I didn't realize how steep this AF is now considering all the content is irrelevant. Which really sucks considering things have been going swimmingly so far.

I finished up my scimitar quest on BLU (which was a nightmare) and immediately realized that there was no goddamn way I could afford even a single piece. To be fair though, I'm extremely impressed I managed to get 5 ranks in and level 54 before I realized that FFXI still hates me and everything I believe in. Still, we're going to try to mash our faces through and get to a level where we can actually make some money, or at least get the mats for someone to craft them for us. We don't have a linkshell yet, but my In-game name is Sugilite and his is Diaspore, and we'd appreciate pearls if anyone can hand them out to us.

Basically, to anyone starting anew like me, avoid Blue mage. It is the path of suffering.

You also have the option of blowing past AF entirely for now and just levelling past it with sparks gear. Not that I did that or anything :v: That said, aren't they quests generally to go hunt down coffers and such? :confused: It's been a while since I've done any AF quests and I don't remember it being pricey.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 28, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

Some of the post CoP jobs like DNC have different things where you have to trade crafted materials to a guy to get your pieces. The coffer quests are super easy now though, since the curio moogle sells keys.

Oh geez I just looked up BLU and yeah this looks horrible. Also apparently they didn't remove like any of the jp midnight waits in there (I'd assume the wiki is lying but someone was complaining about it in /l the other day). The gloves alone are like 300k worth of poo poo, some with sporadic availability.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

These quests were certainly not designed for the game to be like how it is now wherein it is like any other offline Final Fantasy where you can just level a bunch in dungeons/fields on your way to whatever objective you're on, that's for sure. Even without jp midnight waits, there's so much running around and money to raise and out of stock items to dig up it seems like there may as well be. Also if I end up below level 80 by the time I finish just that first part where you run to all the staging areas alone I'll be shocked.

But unlike FFXI of olde at least I have some hope I can do it :shobon:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

As someone who just did it on a new character, yeah get the first one as soon as you can, it's super easy, teleports you to norg at some point wherein you can grab a teleport and not have to go through that whole bullshit, and it also keeps you from having to get the subjob items to do the quest (something I learned after collecting all the subjob items, rip).

The second one will take a bit longer but I did it around like level 60 I think? Levelling is so fast it's a blur, but that one requires you to get rank 6 (beat the shadowlord) which I could have soloed IF I had levelled a mage instead of WAR or had ANY magic damage trusts. Shadowlord is immune to magic half the time and physical the other half, and it's based on HP% so you can't wait it out. I didn't have any magic damage so a kind goon helped. There's a telepoint near the fight so getting help for it is pretty easy, or you can just take like what an hour? to level BLM to 60 or hunt down a magic damage trust or something.

The last one I definitely needed help with, I went to do that pretty much right away still at level 60 and had to /help on one pop fight I had to do and call in goon help on Siren, the second pop fight.

There's also this really stupid behemoth event going on that gives you a trust that boosts your XP earned* and a furnishing that also boosts your XP earned. I think ends soon so definitely get it done, but be warned that it's SUPER obnoxious. The first part you have like one minute to select the correct skill from a menu for some NPCs to continue a neverending skillchain and you get one point per level of the skillchain. If you don't gently caress up (lol) you get bonus points. You have to do it enough to accumulate 100 points and it's basically a test to see if you memorized the skillchain chart in 2006 it's really awful.

After bumbling through that you have to put on the behemoth suit +1 you get from playing the stupid game and go talk to a moogle outside the city that gives you a buff that lets you fight a behemoth with some NPCs. At various points you get a challenge, "do this skill chain!" or "do this many skill chains!" Pray for the latter because it's the only chance you'll get. Every time you do a challenge right you get one heroic level, your goal is to get 10. If you miss one you'll take damage, if you're damaged and near Behemoth when he uses lightning, he'll knock off the buff that lets you fight him. It's not really designed for people who are still levelling but I powered through it with a sword equipped, and just did Red Lotus Blade and whatever the two skills after that are over and over as they skillchain off each other. Behemoth needs to die when you have the buff up to be able to collect any rewards, and you need to reach heroic level 10 to get both rewards.

*I'm on the fence as to whether or not the Kupofried (XP) trust is worth it all the time. It's a nice XP bonus but I also seem to kill things noticeably slower than when I have another DPS trust out. Still, it's a nice option, and probably when my character is less lagging in weaponskills, magic, and equipment, the difference in kill time won't be as big.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

If its bad enough to kill your speed by like 25%, then yeah, use another dd trust.
If you are like me and hitting an artificial wall like wses being a huge killshot or waiting on timers to kill, (90% of my damage is a 30 second recast), then its better to use kupofried

Yeah that's what I figured. My trusts are doing like all my damage right now, so a second DD that also adds in a bunch of bonus damage from increased skillchain frequency is a huge hit.

But hey I got Atma of the Pollen and Atma of the Sandstorm last night, my BLU is on its way. Soon.

(I figured out quickly that it's a good thing I didn't level much past 30 yet, my evasion rate is too drat high and it takes too long for mobs to build TP, especially ones like loving worms where you can't just pull 3+ at once. Maybe I should look into if there is any -Evasion gear for lower levels. Thank you based Kupowers though, signet refresh is amazing and I basically spammed pollen between pulls while raiding in XIV while the worm I learned Sandstorm from took like a loving hour to use it, and now my BLU skill is like 70 and at this rate I won't need to blow sparks on skillbooks at all.)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah I'm not too worried yet, I tend to spark cap if I'm not careful, though I just cashed out everything for gil so I'll need to build them back up again. If I somehow don't cap again by the time I get blu high enough to need high end sparks equipment (and I'm making frequent stops to learn all the spells, so that's going to take some time) I'll be surprised.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

Right as the double XP/CP campaign ends on the first of June, it'll start back up June 2nd. Let the good times roll.

Huh, so we're getting a day off to remember that the XP is doubled, then back on the saddle? Interesting. Wonder if they'll just make it permanent soon, or if they are going to rotate bonuses in and out every month for a while, and after this month's all bonuses extravaganza, double xp and the others there were up first.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Wait, what's the clock?

The rewards for the Behemoth skillchain event are the Kupofried trust and the Vana'clock, its a furnishing that gives you a +xp bonus that stacks with everything else when placed in your house.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

mulodyne posted:

Did they turn off double EXP just for today?

Yes, basically. It will be back for another month tomorrow, along with some other bonuses that I don't remember because none really apply to me yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ThereWillBeBitcoin posted:

Thanks.
------
I'm just coming back to the game after not playing for 6 years. I need a bit of a refresher on some of the basics as well as a short summary of what has changed. Is there a guide that might fit my needs somewhere?

BlueGartr's So You Just Returned To XI guide is even a bit out of date, I haven't found much that's really comprehensive or entirely accurate anymore. Doing what the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel quest tells you to do is a good start for in-game goals but the last couple of patches changed so much so fast probably take the BlueGartr guide with a huge grain of salt remembering that it hasn't been updated since November last year and then read some of the more recent patch notes.

The big thing is that thanks to trusts you can pretty much solo anything, levelling is really fast and can be done solo, and you can get piles of gear, xp, and gil from Records of Eminence and sparks, at least for me anyway, but I never did nor have I gotten to endgame yet.