Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

TTBF posted:

I'm going through all the Final Fantasies and am stuck wondering what to do for XI. I had fun with it back in the day but I don't think I ever made it past level 30. I've heard it's much faster nowadays. How long would it take to get through the story? Assume an hour or two on week days and up to five hours on weekends. Is it fast enough that a 14 day trial would do? Would the free thirty days from getting the game be enough?

Also does anyone know how free trials and the free thirty days interact? It says "free thirty days gameplay for new accounts" on the square store and I don't know if a free trial would count as a new account.

Just the story and about 16 hours a week? Lets see. Assuming one nation story, one Job, using the wikis, and no side expansions aside from Rhapsodies.

Base: less than a week

Zilart: a week

Chains: a week

Treasures: at least a week or two

Goddess: at least a week or two

Adoulin: two weeks (6 months for the extra ending)

Rhapsodies: a week?

Like FF14 when you buy the game and enter the key you get 30 days, so free trial then enter the key when done. After the 30 days that come with the game you can either pay the $11 or $12 a month or wait for a free login in period.

Let's Play Final Fantasy 11(SHAMELESS PLUG) also exists but playing it for yourself isn't as much of a time sink as it once was. The game just has a lot of story and travel that make the play time numbers bigger than you'd think, 20 years will do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

frodnonnag posted:

there's multiple stories. with a goon or two's help youd get pretty drat far, but there is absolutely a ton of storyline, with even more hidden in various events.

subjobs are no longer a concern, you get them by doing rhapsodies instead of farming.

Also you don't have to do them in order, If something looks to be more your jam skip ahead, Rhapsodies requires a little progress in each expansion, that is it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

TheHoosier posted:

I have a couple of stupid questions that I haven't been able to find answers for. Note, i've been following the Quickstart 1-119 Guide on FFXI Wiki. 30 RDM/15 BLM.

- Should I be buying equipment? I've played plenty of MMOs, but not really any older ones outside of UO shards, so I'm used to getting a drip-feed of equipment via quests or dungeons. I think I'm still rocking the same equipment i've had since like level 10

- Is there a text command or keyboard shortcut to have my Trusts initiate combat, or is running up and punching something my only option?

- Other than the Acheron Shields, is there a recommended way to earn some gil? I haven't delved into any tradeskills, but I have been saving crystals and seals.

- I just finished San D'Oria Rank 2 quests and the Rhapsody in White KI quest. I have my mount license. Before moving on to the level 30-40 stuff, is there anything else I should go do or somewhere I should go visit?

Again, probably stupid questions, but rather than interpreting answers in forums to not-quite-the-same questions I figured I'd ask.

1. Your trusts can carry you to 99 with you being naked, accuracy gear is nice to keep your weapon skill up as you go but don't go out of your way. Since you have magic you are extra golden.

2. Nope

3. Aside from what others mentioned, bat fangs are all over the 1-50 leveling range and sell for a lot on the AH. Sparks and accolades will be your main money source until 99.

4. Getting to 99 will make everything easier and start gears turning on other activities. That said just do whatever is fun. Try to do all the monthly quests before the 10th, a couple may be rough to reach in time.

I am on Bahamut if you happen to be there and need anything.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I'm on Bahamut as well.

When I'm actually subbed (soonish, I have one update left stored in the LP tank) feel free to ask for whatever.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's the goto staff for non-nirvana summoner physical blood pact? I managed a +8/+25 grio for magical with 2 stacks of fern so I'm happy with that one for now.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Gridarvor Augmented gives 70 acc, attack, and 15% double attack.

Grio is the best you are going to get pre Nirvana for magic so gg.

Espiritus is nice to just have laying around. Honestly Summoner is pretty simple because it doesn't have many choices and the choices it does have are easy to get save for Nirvana.

All this said I don't play Summoner so if someone else knows some secret take their word for it.