Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

lost access to yoran somehow and am trying to do ROES to get him back but they’re mostly high level in the unity list...lean times for me, dang

You basically need to earn 5000 unity accolades in a week (even if they just get lost due to being capped), and if you have a week where that didn't happen, you lose the unity trust at the next weekly reset.

Fastest way - if the scheduling works out - to get your unity trust NPC to love you again, is to go on a murder spree when Gain Experience is the limited-time objective (if you're in the US, that translates to early morning Sunday, late evening Monday, and midafternoon Wednesday). You get 300 accolades per completion, and only have to get 5000 exp per completion.

You also get a shitload of sparks during Gain Experience as well, which if nothing else can be converted to gil via Acheron Shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

/cm [channel] will also set your default chat mode accordingly so you can then just start typing after that

/cm p = party chat
/cm l = linkshell chat
/cm s = say chat
etc.

Though really, the game's UX made an awful lot of functional sacrifices in the name of allowing you to start chatting by hitting any letter, rather than using enter and forward-slash to enter chat mode and otherwise letting letters be keybinds themselves.

That's why all in-game keybinds and macros have to be some flavor of ctrl- and alt-.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In most other MMOs, if you wanted to chat in your default channel it would be something like:

[enter]hey guys![enter]

And in the meantime, you could bind H, E, Y, space, G, U, S, and shift-1 to whatever functional purposes you like (such as keybinding your abilities, or having a quick shortcut to a given system function or menu section), though space is likely earmarked for some sorta jump.

In contrast, 11 lets you do the following shortcut of skipping the initial enter:

hey guys![enter]

... but the cost of that is that you can't keybind any of those alphanumeric keys or common symbols, to anything else. Nor can you keybind shift-modifier versions of them. You can (and do) keybind ctrl or alt-modifier versions of them, with limitations (abilities can only go on ctrl/alt-1 through 0 via macros, everything else is a system function or menu section).

My point is that's a lot of user keybinding customization potential stripped away... and all you get in return is that you can skip tapping enter before you start typing your chat. Not exactly a great cost/benefit ratio.

And while okay, I can see prevailing wisdom not necessarily being a super-common thing back in the early aughts and when your initial audience was PS2 users... we're two decades later now and they never took a cue - not even when FF14 came around - to revamp that.

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I loved and still do love about this game, but the UI/UX is very much not one of them.

Vil fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 17, 2021

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

Wish I could play this?? Seems like PlayOnline.com has been down for two days or so? Trying to download the client to play a free trial...

PlayOnline has not yet joined the last decade with HTTPS encryption (or redirect), and you'll want to go to the HTTP version:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

Or for a direct link to the download:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The games are definitely very different styles of gameplay, particularly when it comes down to How Not To Die.

11 is more about prep: getting gear in advance (and situational gear at that), arranging a party that can handle various unexpected BS, and then to a pretty hefty extent you're at the whim of the AI's random choice of spell or TP move, and have to fix yourself up after whatever bad thing just happened. You're very heavily reliant on your prep (gear in particular): mechanically preventing having something bad happen to you isn't often a direct option with 11's lack of telegraphs, so it's more about things like evasion/magic evasion to avoid attacks/statuses more often, or magic accuracy to keep enemies crowd-controlled more consistently, or sometimes just having enough passive -Damage Taken.

14 is more about movement: gear is (intentionally) trivialized, non-impactful, and very easy to catch up with, and every player of the same job has the same toolkit (unless they've been slacking on their class quest unlocks or they're a blue mage). But the fight mechanics are both more demanding of specific preventative reactions (primarily in the form of movement/positioning and Not Getting Hit), and more visually transparent/consistent what you're supposed to do with a given mechanic even if you haven't seen it before. Since Not Getting Hit is an extremely viable option, there's also a bigger penalty when you do get hit in later content: one-shotting you in the more severe cases, but more commonplace is to give you a debuff reducing the damage you deal, or especially give you a (stacking) vulnerability debuff making you take more damage from everything else.

On a related note, neither game fares very well - after the nice forgiving early levels in either case - if you approach it with a mindset of the other one. A long-standing 11 player will not fare well in 14, if they assume that they can just stand in mechanics and recover afterwards, and that dodging is very optional. Similarly a long-standing 14 player will not fare well in 11, if they assume that if they can enter content they can readily expect to complete it, and that gearing is very optional.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Continuing to try against my better judgement to play this game and had a question: for the Records of Eminence objectives, do I need to set them before I can complete them? For example there's one for doing the first Windurst mission. If I don't set that RoE objective before I do the mission, is it lost forever?

As a general rule, if an RoE is for a one-off unrepeatable (unlock this job, do this mission), then you will get credit retroactively and the RoE will instantly complete. Most anything quest/mission-related, for example. Note for missions that you'll then have to exit and re-enter that RoE submenu in order to get the next objective to show up (1-2 requires completing 1-1 for example, and can't be flagged until the 1-1 RoE is complete).

If it's for something that can be repeated, even if it's annoying to repeat it, then you will not, and will have to redo whatever-it-was.

Badger of Basra posted:

also separate question: how do I scroll up in my log windows?

+ on keypad (hit it multiple times to cycle through windows), then enter to fullscreen the window, then you can scroll the window with arrow keys.

Badger of Basra posted:

third question: how the hell do keybinds work in this game? it seems different based on which Keyboard Size option I choose but I can't figure out which I should actually be using.

for example, if I have Keyboard Size set to either of the compact ones pressing [i] moves my camera. When I check the bindings, [i] is bound both to move the camera AND to open my items. So I think maybe I should use full. But when I use full, pressing [i] just types a letter i in the chatbox and I can't figure out how to get it to stop doing that and just open my items.

One of 11's baffling UX decisions was to sacrifice keybind-ability in favor of allowing people to chat by typing directly, rather than the more-current standard of going into chat mode by starting with / or enter. So I by itself is "start chatting, specifically with the letter I".

So those keybinds are for ctrl or alt (either works) plus that letter: ctrl-I for inventory, ctrl-E for equipment, for example. Macros are your customizable keybinds and are ctrl 1-0 and alt 1-0 for the two rows.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In addition to that, the RoEs for wide-area combat - the ones that are for things like damage done, enemy kills, etc. - are good for having set general-purpose. Also under spoils, it doesn't hurt to set all 8 crystals because you'll always be getting them. At the very least the common ones like wind and earth crystals.

But yeah, generally you'll be setting and completing RoEs based on what you're doing. There's also some daily RoEs that you can find toward the bottom of the main list, both general daily objectives as well as another set under unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Step 0: Make sure your Square Enix account even knows what your POL account is, to begin with. If it doesn't, get them linked up first via the "Square Enix Account Management System" (linked on the websites for both FF11 and FF14). This step only has to be done once, period, and then it's saved over on the Square Enix account.

Step 1: When creating a login in POL ("Add Member"), you'll have to fill in a screen with these details. This step has to be done once "per installation", so if you change computers or something, you'd have to redo it. But other than that, it's one-and-done ... once you convince it to work to begin with.

Member Name: Arbitrary (?), it's what you want your displayed handle to be in POL. (It might be something you've already had to configure beforehand. All else failing, try using your Square Enix ID here too.)
PlayOnline ID: Your PlayOnline account ID. Probably formatted something like ABCD1234.
Set Password: "Save" instead of "Not Set", so it'll remember your POL password and not ask you to provide it every single time.
PlayOnline Password: Your PlayOnline password.

Member Password: Leave this blank for your own sanity. You do not need yet a third password involved in this nonsense.
Confirm Password: Should match the above, in other words blank.

Square Enix ID: Your Square Enix account ID / name. Probably something you picked and which is a familiar handle to you. (If you for some reason have several, you want the specific one which is linked to the PlayOnline ID used above.)
One-Time Password: If you have a security token / 2FA set up for your Square Enix account (which you should), set this to "Use". In the event that you don't, set this to "Do Not Use". It'll determine whether or not it asks you for your 2FA number when logging in.

Step 2: Click on the entry you just created / configured, click "Log In" on the next screen, and then enter your Square Enix password and (if applicable) one-time / 2FA number, then hit "Connect". If you've filled in all the right IDs and passwords in their respective fields above, you should successfully login to PlayOnline.

... Handily, when repeating the process for future logins, you only have to do "step 2" each time, which is to say providing your S-E password and 2FA. It should save all the other details.

(e: forgot POL password)

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 21, 2024