Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Any goons playing FFXI classic on Nasomi server?

I apparently hate myself since I have this undeniable urge to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Frog Act posted:

I was on it til level 30 but it has a lot of serious problems I do not think will be solved

There's another server I was considering that has different policies and gives you a couple level 75 jobs / gil / equipment so you can jump right in and do endgame content with them, they have a core group. I'm sorta interested in it cus I've always wanted to explore the world of FFXI without getting owned at every turn.

Its called Nightbrood FFXI

http://nightbrood.freeforums.net/

just doesn't seem big enough, like...40 players to Nasomi's 1000

This sounds interesting other than the 40 player part. Gonna check it out though, thanks.

Holyshoot posted:

I tried it for a few hours and realized my brain is only broken enough to play retail. Not fully broke to go back to classic.

Be advised their install of ffxi totally fucks with your ability to play retail without some finagaling should you want to switch.

I suspect i may realize the same thing but Im willing to test how broken brained I really am.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Think I'm gonna keep playing till I hit 37 to see what the grouping and economy experience is like. I can give updates if anyone's interested. It looks like the try to fix bugs all the time, so maybe some of the past serious issues are gone. From what I read on the forum it seems the main issue is that sometimes when a nation takes over a zone it won't be possible for the new holder or previous holder to do supply runs. Along with PUP being totally broken.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Tanners posted:

Oh yeah one thing I just remembered was half the time when my friend and I would zone together, we would be invisible to eachother. We would have to make sure after each zone were still visible, which got old quickly.

Also aside from the wyvern thing which bothers me the most, it seems like the server owner himself has a lot of drama associated with him which just makes me wary of the whole project.

Will need to dig around and see what kinda drama nerd this guy is.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

You gotta have rdm or bst for solo and whatever subjobs you need for that. If you want to do endgame content and the pop is really low, you should see what classes they need.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

WarMECH posted:

All this private server talk is giving me PTSD flashbacks why would you do this to yourself? In the time it's taking you to get BRD to level 30 you could have gotten it to 99 with all subs leveled and soloed Zilart and CoP with your wacky gang of Trusts.

I know because I did just this. BRD/DNC fo lyfe.

That sounds awful.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

With the fast leveling, Im assuming gear is easier to acquire. How often does a typical player have to stop to farm gil to keep progressing their character and the plot?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Anyone have experience on Eden and Horizon? I was thinking of starting up playing again and wanted to see if there’s any reason to go Horizon over Eden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

RazeChildren posted:

I played on Horizon for a little over a month. I will say that it's the most faithful to CoP era amongst any existing server. I managed to get fishing to 100 (there is no daily limit), got Ebisu, leveled all subjobs for RDM and was nearing level 65.

With that being said... there are some aspects of the server that make it feel exceptionally cheap and (at least for me, personally) ruin the experience.
1) Many mobs and missions are improperly tuned or just straight up don't work. A good example is the Snoll Tzar battle during Three Paths (CoP). The salts do nothing and the NM continues to grow until exploding. Even if you 'fail', you win. And most annoying of all -- during the Tenzen path as you're going through the Pso'xja tower, mobs in the small rooms blink in and out of visibility/targetability, making this insanely annoying to clear.
2) The game is HEAVILY populated by people who were poo poo-tier players during CoP era. This manifests in many ways; most annoyingly in crafting. Garbage players got into crafting early and monopolized the high-value synths (cursed gear, endgame HQs, etc.) while simultaneously making those synths just barely profitable. Contrast that with retail during CoP era -- tons of people had level 100 crafts but we still all made a killing because we weren't absolute idiots.
3) Crafting seems to be purely RNG percentage-based results as an output of your crafting level and the synth's requirements. They did not incorporate any of the complexities of the retail crafting system (because I guess people baldly assert that these complexities never existed??? Those of us who captured and analyzed the data know better...).
4) The balance team's decision-making suggests that they were garbage-tier endgame players (at best) during CoP era. Total lack of awareness of endgame meta, etc. See PLD buffs vs NIN nerfs, for example.
5) You can be banned for relatively nothing. I was just banned (perma? dunno... still unclear) for 'exploits'. I assume I was reported for abusing blink-casting (cancelling casting and ja animations so you can move sooner). Seems they believe I was using ja0wait because I could reliably blink-cast, and ja0wait is a banable addon. I wasn't using ja0wait.

With that being said, Eden is somehow even worse. It is less polished and just feels... I dunno... wrong.

I'm back on retail now, btw. I'm on Asura (Profiterole) trying to bridge the content gap between 2014 and 2023 right now, in case anybody else is on Asura and wants to do fun stuff.

Thank you for this breakdown. Seems like a waste to spend time leveling on a private server then. I wonder what makes private server populations lean poo poo-tier. I always figured that type of player wouldn't want the classic experience.