Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
A friend convinced me to re-sub after ten years away. Fast travel? Solo exp? Is this the right game?

Oh well time to get seven jobs from 75-99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

that will take you like 2 weeks if you are lazy.

Imagine my surprise when I trade a login reward key to a goblin and get Usukane body. I worked my rear end off for Ares body eleven years ago and now it’s a drat lootbox drop haha.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Classic ffxi was camping HNMs for 3 hours every 2-3 days against other link shells and accusing eachother of claim botting. Then when you nabbed Nidhogg another ls would cure spam your tank and get your whole group spike flailed when it turned to that other person.

Ah memories. Low-manning Fafhogg as a RDM/NIN tank was fun as hell.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I’ve been back on Bahamut for about a month now and have been wondering the same things about bots/rmt. I’m doing tons of content with my one friend (and trusts) but eventually I’m sure I’ll outgrow that and need a decent group/LS to do anything. Or I’ll just quit again :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

Some friends and I made that climb a couple times a week because we used to spam the ENM up there, the antlion one, for some easy exp in an event and the TP Bonus Great Katana dropped semi-regularly for some decent but not incredible exp and cash flow.

Because of that I am confident I could still run up that dumb mountain over a decade later.

This thought also sent me on a trip of even remembering ENM's were a thing. We used to do the Brothers one in Uleguerand Range too for exp when we didn't feel like partying. I don't thing it really dropped anything regularly. Did anyone ever do ENM's?

I used to do both of those, I would trio Brothers on RDM with my two BLM friends, it was fun and you got the pop item for Ouryu, and then we'd do the Attohwa Chasm one for Hagun. Good times.

Enjoying my return to XI, I've been back for about three months and have played on NIN and THF a ton and just gearing up BST now. Abyssea and farming upgrade items loving sucks though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

When a game does everything in its power to force people to communicate, I think that they wind up being friendlier to one another in general. In WoW you could solo huge chunks of the game, especially early on, so people never needed to learn to get along with each other, really. I remember a few FFXI players back in the day that were assholes, and it kind of became known across the server who the assholes were and to not invite them to parties.

The game being so brutally punishing maybe helped too, like how soulsborne players often enjoy helping each other. It was super easy to die and lose literal hours of progress, like if your WS just did a bit too much damage and you got one-shotted by Sickle Slash or something, welp there goes the last two hours of grinding. Everyone kind of empathized with how brutal the world was, and I noticed people being more selfless in FFXI than any other mmo I've played.

Along those lines, considering I just came back and know literally one other person on my server, I've had to /yell for help a couple times recently. First was for Synergy (WS gorget/belt) and today was crafting an obscure piece for Oboro JSE weapons. Players have helped me almost immediately and been super nice about it. :unsmith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

SerCypher posted:

Wooo finally hit 99 and got my charity gear.

Now time to finish RoV and CoP and everything else.

Congrats! I’m still on the last RoV mission. Everything up until then is a cakewalk and then the final boss is wrecking my face. I got close on MNK with 5 trusts focused on AoE heals and wiped at 2% when it started absorbing damage.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mayakov has uh, not aged well.

That’th prepothterouth!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

RoZ, CoP, and ToAU all have legit good stories. Then came WotG... I think I’m on the mission where you run around Beaucedine playing mini games with 14 different Cait Siths, you know, for reasons.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Dinged my first 99, and I've now got a billion things I want to do.

:hf:

Just in time for the update tomorrow. Hope you did all your monthly RoE stuff! :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The Chairman posted:

last year I wrote an arrangement of Bastok's town music, a group asked to record it, and here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAm6td-tWrA

Absolutely fantastic stuff, thanks for this!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When I came back it was because some friends on Bahamut roped me back in, but it seems like some of the complaints about Asura are because there are actual EN players doing the content and it's not a ghost town. If I was starting fresh and wanted some semblance of a community I can't think of a reason not to go on Asura.

kirbysuperstar posted:

you'll likely also want to set up dgVoodoo because the game still uses Direct3D8 and modern GPUs don't like that much.

Also thanks for this, I've dealt with random d/c and crashes recently and tried everything with my ISP so I'll give this a shot.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

WarMECH posted:

The boat ride was one of my favorite parts of the game when I first played years ago. There are a couple of interesting things that can happen on that journey at random times.

I re-subbed my alt last week and rode the airships to get all the home points/books and that music still holds up. XI OST has some of my favorite game music. Part of the reason 15 minute boat rides were tolerable IMO.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I don't think anyone who played back in the day would ever forget their first time crossing the ocean, or making the trek up to Jeuno.

For me the most vivid example of that was beating the last 30-cap Promy and appearing in Lufaise Meadows for the first time. Those fights were a loving pain at release and it felt like a real accomplishment, then to be rewarded with a new land to explore (and dope loving music to boot) was just the best.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think RNG got Hover Shot after that and it supposedly changed how they played quite a bit?

Isn’t RNG just another SB spam job still? lol

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Decided to start over. Didn't delete my original character but bought a second character slot, FrostyPox on Bahamut if anyone is on Bahamut

Bregor (and Bregolas) on Bahamut :wave: let me know if I can help with something

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ort posted:

Please stop making me miss this game and all of its mechanics that make it unique vs the new bad MMOs.

Re-sub already :yeshaha:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

I loved all the weird items in ffxi.

By toau the only way I could get my paladin into decent merit parties was to do pld/nin with joyeuse and the justice sword, which I got from some random rmt groups that were in Sea at the time and didn’t have a buyer for it so I got it for cheap. Thank u rmt’s.

Had to learn how to solo the big VT shark guys near Temenos in order to reliably get fuckin organs for the justice sword. Which actually involved switching over to staff and fighting them down using Spirit Taker and drat I love ffxi just talking about this stuff

Bless this weird Frankenstein’s Monster of an MMO

I tanked RDM/NIN which was kinda weird. Then there was NIN/BRD Mazurka tanking because for some reason they made the movement speed song generate a ridiculous amount of enmity. There were any number of niche combinations of DD setups because the 75 cap limited you to a degree. For instance WAR/NIN Jugg/Ridill or Jugg/Joy was en vogue until the introduction of Hasso and then two-handers could /SAM and be competitive. I remember the RNG nerf and the MNK nerf and all the things they did to try and balance the game. And it worked to a large extent and it kept the game hard. A lot of iLvl content now is bulldozed by SMN spam or Savage Blade spam but I do think there is a lot of challenge out there, which is why I’ve been back for almost a year

Holy poo poo I’ve been back for almost a year :stare:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When I came back to the game, I was still 75 and running around getting Survival Guides and went blindly through Ranguemont Pass. All of a sudden I had a half dozen evil eyes on me and got owned pretty quick. Now that’s nostalgia for vanilla XI right there.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ort posted:

I always figured they made it bad on purpose to help emphasize you’re waaaay out in relatively uncharted territory.

Yeah it’s the classic FFXI move, thematically consistent but in practice a real kick in the dick.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Quick add on question: what’s the best way y’all keep track of party buffs? I’ve been using Timers plug in and it’s bad, and the more I’m playing COR or RDM I’m paranoid I’m missing something.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Dho Gates is gonna be fuckin LIT

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FFXI: a nice touch that should never be repeated in a game again

New thread title please

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Final Fantasy XI: please make sure you are killing the correct leeches

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The correct answer is Zeid

Bregor
May 31, 2013

HKR posted:

I'm also current on Bahamut after swearing off Asura. Monday morning /sea all shows 1392 people. Saw around 1700 on tuesday last week. Server seems active without having the extreme toxicness Asura seems to have attracted.

Granted how many of those are jp only/bots/actually capable of helping you in endgame etc are unknown, but so far I haven't had trouble with the market board like others constantly bring up.

Server transfers are $10 and if Asura's toxicness is too much for you come be chill over on bahamut.

Bahamut4Life :black101::hf::black101:

Yeah I've been back for about 18 months now and play with the same 2-5 people, depending on who's currently subbed and who's off playing another game at any given time. Bahamut is not busy but not a ghost town, the AH is usually fine (although I had to wait a while for some random crafted stuff like Su3) and there are enough PUGs for ambu/odyssey/dynamis RP farming that you can get stuff done. Very much the speed I'm looking for these days.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Took about 40 shanks on my main when I re-subbed, then of course my alt got it in five or six :shrug:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1652368001461809152?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

probably olde but I found it amusing

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bahamut owns. Felt active without being the cluster that is Asura.

That said I don’t think anyone I used to play with, either from 2009 or when I re-subbed three years ago, is still active. If you get really stuck on something I could put out the batsignal on my old Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

If THF is your main just level WAR or MNK as a sub, it doesn’t matter at all for leveling with trusts.