Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
Hi, I am not dead.
Pearl me up.

Kisses and Hugs,
Ganache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Paws for Help posted:

My plutons! This is not going to be good for my pocketbook.

Your fortune in plutons may be on shaky ground, but your fortune in my heart will endure.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
Active FFXI Goons,
Are you tired of endlessly waiting for a Delve shout, only to wipe on t1-4 NMs due to Wolfevangelist's profound incompetence? Do you miss the days of being completely unable to walk leisurely through Whitegate due to congestion (too many players [not the stuff in your lungs])? Then I may just have the answer for you! Transfer to Asura, where there are Delve shouts aplenty and zones so crowded you'll long for the days of fewer-than-500-players-online. You heard me right! No more waiting to wipe despairingly and hopelessly to Podarge, or to eat yet another Incinerating Lahar! You can jump right into the action on Asura!

Potential benefits of coming to Asura:
- Access to a larger player base than most other servers (much larger NA population than Quetz). That means more opportunities to wipe in Delve or Incursion!
- POSSIBILITY of joining a thriving and active endgame LS that regularly mercs the stuff that you want to be doing. (I'm a pearlsack. Be a helpful, active, good person, and I'll get you in.)
- Failing the above possibility, you can always purchase mercs for a reasonable price. Something that other servers seem to be lacking (lookin' at you, Quetz).
- No more trash bags that rip and tear.

Potential risks of coming to Asura:
- There is a cool, active Goon community on Quetz. While the server itself doesn't have much to offer, GetOut does. By transferring from Quetz, or to Asura instead of Quetz, you risk not being a part of an active Goon LS.

I'll monitor the thread in case there are any questions or there is any interest. If you make the transfer, contact me in game. My name's Profiterole.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
Since it sounds like there will be more goons than just myself I made a shell. SAGoons, for nostalgia.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
Both Ganache and Jewbacca were taken. Bummer. So we both had to change names.

And yeah, even if you aren't ready for endgame yet, or even pre-endgame, you should come and join SAGoons. The more of us there are, the more stuff we can get done, and the easier it is to get people up to snuff for harder content.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
There's a rule for the non-Goon LS, for those of you in it/hoping to be in it: If you are pearled for that LS, it must always be set as your #1 LS. This doesn't prevent you from using SAGoons. It just means you'll have to set SAGoons as your #2 LS (since the dual LS system is now up and running).

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Time to resub, we're def. doing asura? Who has sacks?

Def. Asura. Sacks at the moment are Profiterole, Joobacca, and Hackenbush. I'll sack some more when I get a chance. (It's a process now -- both the sackor and the sackee have to have the LS set as #1. Otherwise everybody would have one.)

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Astaldo posted:

Hmm coming to Asura eh, I might reactivate then. Is everything except lolWKR still lowman? I miss camping HNMs for 3 hours and shittalking to eachother... /nostalgia

You can even lowman lolWKR as long as you don't have a bunch of morons feeding it TP (even then, many of them can be lowman'd). There won't be any 3 hour camps for you, but we can shittalk all the same.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
For people who want to go fast:
projecttako.com/index.php

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
I've only used movement speed. I can't attest to anything else.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Kieyen posted:

It's time...

Announcing the Next Version Update! (02/27/2015)
Fresh from the winter thaw flow the pristine waters of the next version update!

The March patch will see the addition of Vagary, all-new battle content that pits Vana'diel's heroes against the Xol Triumvirate. Also found amongst the uncovered treasures are reforged empyrean armor and the long anticipated final implementation of the /lockstyle command.

Also coming down the slopes are additional Unity Wanted battles, new spells and other job adjustments, adjustments to existing spells, and bucket loads of other additions and adjustments.

Good thing many of us have blown countless millions on upgrading the new skirmish gear, only to (probably) have it replaced the next month!

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

I really dont expect them to slap +7% bp damage, 25-35 pet mab and pet crit hit rate on each and every piece of callers 119. Smn got a insane as poo poo boost with the yorcia alluvion set, and convokers at best had two bp damage pieces and a nice set bonus.

Yeah, the SMN stuff is probably safe. Hopefully the same is true for Taeon jobs who got a pretty substantial boost as well (though not as much as SMN). I don't mind replacing a piece or two, but dammit! I just made sets of near-perfect Triple Attack and Dual Wield Taeon.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
It's tricky to find a good spot that isn't already trafficked. Try to find places that aren't particularly near any bivouac, but that have a high enough concentration of mobs. That's pretty unhelpfully general, but it should work as a rough guideline.

Alternatively, if you're just going to be semi-afk reading or watching Netflix or whatever, you can safely easyfarm anywhere. Just be sure to set things up so that you can hear it if somebody sends you a tell.

RazeChildren fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 7, 2015

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Zero The Hero posted:

GMs use tells, then?

This is new to me, so I'm not sure what to look for. I'll use ChatMon. Am I safe in assuming that as long as I respond to tells, my suspicious-looking farming methods won't be an issue?

If you set up your bot well enough it won't look terribly suspicious. And you shouldn't get into any trouble unless somebody gets pissed off at you. If they do, they might send a tell your way. And if you aren't completely afk, you can check in every now and then to be sure that you don't have competition from somebody who isn't afk. Unless somebody reports you, you should be fine.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
Old Cupper won't work, but there are new things.

The structure of the game has changed quite a bit since the old days. It is much friendlier to the casual player. Nothing is particularly difficult and most gear takes very little time to acquire. The bad: A good portion of the best gear is run through a random augmenting system. You have to buy the items to trade in for the augments you want, and this can get expensive if you want really good stuff.

In short it's gimmicky, nearly all the relevant content is easy, and it's friendly to casual players. I suppose that makes it fairly wow-like, except that ffxi is vastly aesthetically superior, if you care about that sort of thing.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

walruscat posted:

Anyone have experience on Eden and Horizon? I was thinking of starting up playing again and wanted to see if there’s any reason to go Horizon over Eden.

I played on Horizon for a little over a month. I will say that it's the most faithful to CoP era amongst any existing server. I managed to get fishing to 100 (there is no daily limit), got Ebisu, leveled all subjobs for RDM and was nearing level 65.

With that being said... there are some aspects of the server that make it feel exceptionally cheap and (at least for me, personally) ruin the experience.
1) Many mobs and missions are improperly tuned or just straight up don't work. A good example is the Snoll Tzar battle during Three Paths (CoP). The salts do nothing and the NM continues to grow until exploding. Even if you 'fail', you win. And most annoying of all -- during the Tenzen path as you're going through the Pso'xja tower, mobs in the small rooms blink in and out of visibility/targetability, making this insanely annoying to clear.
2) The game is HEAVILY populated by people who were poo poo-tier players during CoP era. This manifests in many ways; most annoyingly in crafting. Garbage players got into crafting early and monopolized the high-value synths (cursed gear, endgame HQs, etc.) while simultaneously making those synths just barely profitable. Contrast that with retail during CoP era -- tons of people had level 100 crafts but we still all made a killing because we weren't absolute idiots.
3) Crafting seems to be purely RNG percentage-based results as an output of your crafting level and the synth's requirements. They did not incorporate any of the complexities of the retail crafting system (because I guess people baldly assert that these complexities never existed??? Those of us who captured and analyzed the data know better...).
4) The balance team's decision-making suggests that they were garbage-tier endgame players (at best) during CoP era. Total lack of awareness of endgame meta, etc. See PLD buffs vs NIN nerfs, for example.
5) You can be banned for relatively nothing. I was just banned (perma? dunno... still unclear) for 'exploits'. I assume I was reported for abusing blink-casting (cancelling casting and ja animations so you can move sooner). Seems they believe I was using ja0wait because I could reliably blink-cast, and ja0wait is a banable addon. I wasn't using ja0wait.

With that being said, Eden is somehow even worse. It is less polished and just feels... I dunno... wrong.

I'm back on retail now, btw. I'm on Asura (Profiterole) trying to bridge the content gap between 2014 and 2023 right now, in case anybody else is on Asura and wants to do fun stuff.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Capital Letdown posted:

Are there more complexities? Are you referring to like, being certain skill points above a requirement makes you more likely to HQ. Or do you mean all that stuff abotu directions to face while crafting was all true!???

The latter. However I could never establish that direction mattered -- I held it as a constant (along with zone, weather, and even position in zone...) when testing. There were times of certain days/moon phases were you could essentially guarantee a t0 HQ. Semitry, Corwen and I did this standing together at the Ru'Lude AH a bunch of times -- synchronize crafting start time and all make the same t0 HQ simultaneously. I don't have any sort of general day vs crystal, moon phase, directional facing proof, but those factors are probably part of whatever equation was going on server-side.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

Lolno. Direction, weather, moonphase and day have no effect on crafting. It has always been a seeded random percentage based off skill tiers.

Ok. What the guy said in the post could still be fully consistent with what a few of us (who became ultra rich in game) found. They may not have used day/time/direction explicitly in crafting results, but that doesn't mean the "random" process wasn't hooked in to any in-game variables. Depends on how they coded it server-side. The possibility of 3 of us simultaneously HQing t0 synths (on more than one occasion) as a result of pure chance is nearly impossible. Again, this doesn't mean that "direction, day, moon phase" whatever is an intentional, explicit part of the crafting system. And if that's the case then I guess if you're coding for your private server, you might as well just follow the accepted HQ tier percentages. I could withdraw that (very minor) complaint from my list of issues with Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Kongming posted:

This is true of every private server and every retail server since the game launched.

Yeah that's fair. I think the difference is that private server culture is more dominated by these people than retail was. In retail, there was always an overarching culture of good and knowledgeable players, and the bad players were relegated to their own communities. I saw a sprinkling of good players on Horizon who were fun to play and interact with, but their 'voices' or whatever are not the dominant ones.