Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I need help. I hit level 15 on my character on my private server and then camped Leaping Lizzy for three hours. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Tanners posted:

Are there ffxi p servers that don't suck or do you mean one you're running on your own?

I have my own private virtual server at home, with a virtual machine client so I can easily port it to other people's machines if they want to play with me.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

That's pretty snazzy. Where'd you get the software, and how complete is it? If the missions are working properly, I could use that.

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Main_Page

It's really easy to setup. But I like running virtualized servers so I can take snapshots in case an upgrade breaks something. Is the game 100% working? No of course not, they are still working on getting everything up to Zilart working correctly. However, it's good enough to jump in and have some fun.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I hope you guys like cell phone games :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Are we gonna like...meet Altana and punch her in the face? Cause I poo poo all over Promathia, I ain't scurred of no light lady.:madmax:

Altana dies. Altana drops Impact Knuckles.

I need to check the private server stuff, but last I checked everything up to Zillart was working, and some jobs were still needing work.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

If you guys ever come over to that other MMO we have a linkshell of the old folks who yonder for DuQu parties galore.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

People play this with the mouse? I wish I could play 14 keyboard only :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I don't know why but I wanted to google one of those 10 hour youtube videos with a party killing colibri or crabs and leave it up in the background. :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I was watching a guy attempt a speed run from start to a Shadowlord kill today. i can't believe all the QoL improvements in this game now. The Norg quest, chocobo feeding times, trusts, goddamn instant warping everywhere...

He made about 10 hrs in around 4-1 at level 35ish before giving up saying it wasn't going to work out. The rules were no AH and no help from other players.

I almost want to try it myself and see what I can come up with :smith:

edit: He did it, 17 hrs. Hardest part was the SL magic immunity shield, trusts are dumb sometimes.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 30, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Thought I might try to come back to FFXI while it's free...after over 3 hours trying to figure out the difference between my play online ID and Square Enix ID, I just gave up.

Why the hell is the login process so convoluted?

The PO ID is something like four letters and then four numbers. The SE ID is most likely a username/email address.

I logged back in for the free trial and leveled two jobs from 1 to 99 and it was incredibly fun. Beat Rhapsodies and ran into a ton of NMs and finally got a Joyuese.

I'm still on Quez and won't server migrate until I'm done leveling or hunting NMs.

You know I had more fun over the weekend playing this old rear end game with Trusts then most of the time I've spent playing XIV in the last couple of years.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

I've got my Squeenix ID no problem; I can still log into the overall Square site just fine. Just have no idea where my Play Online ID is

I just logged intohttps://secure.square-enix.com and under services and options pick FFXI/PO and it should have your POID right there.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a XI Discord channel most of you hang out in?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

How does leveling with a another player work in regards to trusts? Do you join the same group or alliance and does that other player take advantage of bonuses like Kupofried in the alliance?

Also still on Quez if anyone wants to hang out. Might transfer at the end.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 25, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

poo poo gearswap looks painful to learn.

I spent 3m and got my welfare i119 JSE dagger, its so nice!

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

hagie posted:

I wish I could use Windower. It does NOT get along with my system.

Looking for some skill up location suggestions. I am currently around 158 on marksmanship for Cor, maxed out at 99.

I have the skill + head, body, hands, legs, feet, and I have a some ranged acc rings. Suggestions?

I dunno if times have changed but worms in abyssea were good for that with the right atmas.

edit: Also you could level other jobs and work on those kinds of skills. Dumb I know but better than standing in a spot for hrs.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Of course SE would end this free campaign in the middle of a holiday in the US :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I thought this was pretty great.

https://morbolvote.finalfantasyxi.com/?lang=en

Make sure to watch the video and listen to the sample song.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am an idiot and trying out this private server which reduces your level to 1 if you die.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

What a terrible idea!

Got to level 4 and died to a rarab. At least it's only level and not combat skills or anything.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I think the highest level is 20 and ppl are kinda sorting things out. I’m getting outposts and then doing a cross country trip from windy to Bastok before leveling anything.

Gonna conquer enemy newbie regions to unlock outposts :)

The server op is pretty open to ideas it seems I’m going to suggest some kind of rhapsody like based off key items or Cheevos unlocks to speed up xp if you die.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Yesterday I ran from windy to Jeuno at lvl 1 picked up the flowers for the mog house quest while doing outposts and ran all the way to bastok. There I grinded to 12 on monk and thought surely I could kill leaping Lizzy with my 2 hr. It went poorly and I warped in the middle of the fight and died inside the mob house due to the poison. Back to mnk lv1 at least you keep skills.

So I have learned carry antidotes and the mog house is not an instant heal on private servers.

Does anyone have a decent route solo 1 to 15 for windy zones? I might go back since I found out the WW in windys embassy is broken too.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Got back to 14 today ran around a corner into a bomb and blew up. I think this was a fun little experiment but it's not for me right now as it stands. Highest level is 23, they got their SJ and unlocked chocobo.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Just the active job level, you keep spells/skills and all that. Raise doesn't count, no outside healing so no dualboxing. Most people seem to have the 5 or so items that will warp you out at any time to save their rear end. The server operator is planning to make adjustments but wants to see how things play out for now.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I told a goon about this hardcore server and they talked me into playing again there , so we have been duoing together and it's been fun actually as a casual activity trying to puzzle solve situations with this massive drawback if we gently caress up. We hit level 20 and just finished chocobos. Need to get a couple of levels for subjob farming.

We had our first 40+ die and there has been some drama around that because they didn't know about the lv90+ mobs in DW.

To be honest I am confused about these 75 only purists who don't fix these QoL improvements on their servers. Ninjas was going to be a rare main job until crafting caught up, but they found a vendor selling shehei so all these 75 era only people are like gently caress yeah.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

That's a shame. I always liked the big variety in classes in XI. I just can't bring myself to play an MMO at this point if I'm not doing stuff with people until cap.

You can always find a couple of irl people and grind together. Duoing is just as fine since you can poo poo out a trust to pick up the slack in parties. Or you could find 5 really good friends with the same schedules...

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

There seems to be more interest in speedrunning this game. At least once a month now you can catch a fresh to shadowlord kill take takes less than 8 hrs on twitch. They are looking at how to tackle CoP next.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

So i'm going to the ffxi event at pax east. Anybody got any terrible questions i can try to ask the devs while there?

Since they made the game nearly single player for most of the content, can they consider a standalone single player version when the online game ends?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

CyberLord XP posted:

People talking about classic / progression servers, have you tried any of the various private servers? I've played on several and have landed on one recently which I quite enjoy. You can really find one for any level of commitment.

I played to lv 40 on multiple classes on a hardcore server (you die on a job you go back to lv1) it was an interesting concept until the server owner started breaking the rules to keep players from giving up and leaving.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

ryan_reynolds_but_why.gif

I dunno it felt like a survival game at that point where you are scraping by having to do your own crafting and pretty much everything and I leveled tons of alts in retail so it was a casual thing I did 2-3 hrs a day for fun. Got my ffxi fix out of my system for the year. It was a better experience than paying $15 logging into retail into a dead goon shell and realizing everyone I know is gone :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

treasure hunter finally explained

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/56550

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

That guide is why I was asking for something else. Garlaige is a bad dungeon.

You can hit up the old school locations if you have a party.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_Points:_Guide_for_Levels_37-75

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

New story content?

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/57098

I'm figuring it will be you do a side quest with Iroha where you look at plants so I don't get my expectations high.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Carmant posted:

I'm pretty new to Eden. Just hit 18 on my Red Mage. If anyone wants to help with that subjob quest...

Depending how impatient you are and if people are helpful, I would recommend just going to 30 so you can do the quest yourself.

Also my friends, our time is almost here for a single player edition of the game. The private server code has trusts somewhat working. Now they just need to fix bugs, jobs, storylines and few more things. With some RoV implemented and trusts I hit lv 30 in a day from scratch.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

That would make a great gift... but that's too much money.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Played piano mode too with keyboard only, really sad you can't do the same scheme in 14. :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Schir posted:

Reporting back in after playing a few more days of this deeply bizarre and strange video game.
  • for some reason unlocking the dancer class required me to start one of the expansions and then sneak past a bunch of level 70 mobs after time traveling to the past to get a rock. I'm a level 30 monk, why do I need to go through this whole song and dance ( :v: ) to unlock a class
  • for some reason, the fifth windurst quest needed me to kill 30 monsters in an area three maps away and then wait a minimum of 23 but no longer than 24 in-game hours (about one hour real time) to talk to an npc to finish the quest
  • lmao that you need to wait for boats to transport you in real time.
  • lmao that ff11's version of the novice network kicks you out after like 24 hours, while you're still just barely coming to grips with the game
Everything about this game is extremely 2000s-core, from the last time in the tech cycle where everyone in tech was distilling and huffing their own farts while jacking themselves off about how people were going to move into the virtual world. It's neat taking a look at that sort of experience with 20 years of hindsight and directly contrasting it against just how cynically metaverse poo poo is being pushed right now. I'm having a great time with it.

Ah the memories of herding a party of 10-15 people around areas with monsters 30-40 levels higher with sneak/invis pots being rare, with the spell versions lasting not long at all and finding safety spots for the whm/rdm to reapply the spell to you.

Also consider back in the day if FFXI was alt-tabbed/lost-focus it crashed/, we didn't have cell phones or second monitors so sitting there waiting for boats was definitely a more social experience for players. (we talked to each other lol)

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

The FFXI anniversary site is still getting updated, and there are some interesting nuggets in there once in a while...

https://we-are-vanadiel.finalfantasyxi.com/history/?year=before

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

gently caress I visited this thread to warn you guys about your physical tokens and instead just spent $200 on plushies. Also lol at $40 shipping.

Anyway check your tokens if you had them for 20 years, I just had to switch to the software authentication for this game as the internal battery was dying.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I know it's not a big deal these days and this is completely useless since I have all 99s but it was a nice thing for FFXI to do for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Some dumb goons might transfer to Bahamut for the MrHappy thing, might make sense to start a goonshell. If someone is doing this please make sure you are a lifelong player and not someone who will quit after 3 days TYIA.