Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Reading about the exp changes, teleports, trust npcs and everything is wild. Going back into the game from when I quit in 08 would be bizarre, like doing 08 endgame content solo?? (With trusts and stuff)

The changes they've made read less like actual developer notes and more like one of those unoffical wow servers where all mobs dropped full sets of gear and you leveled to cap in five kills. Especially with how stitched together it sounds like, I remember /sack being added. Weirder now since consoles aren't supported but the game is still built around that.

Wild. Tempted to gently caress around. I'd have to use a bootcamp or something though. I never even hit 75 cap. Did hit 74 though, lol...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dreamed about this game all night so I guess I'm installing wine or whatever

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm on asura as ziasquinn. Would love a linkpearl

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Spent an ungodly amount of time getting a summon mount and slowly cutting into new content for the exp bonuses. Pretty sick to let three npcs kill mobs and give me 1000 exp a kill. I popped some exp bonus items and practically skipped level 29 in two fights :eyepop:

Have to be on my higher level job to actually progess though.

The stat creep on l99 gear is hilarious

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Fuckin lol it just says in quotes "Catastrophe" without any weapon skill of the old legacy context from the insane relic hunters who were like servers firsts in obtaining the insane ceiling of being the first to unlock that exclusive weapon skill.

What when dynamis was hyper hard and single instanced with 24 hour resets...

I assume at 99 I'll be able to solo with trusts any old 75 content...

Today I swallowed four hours and ended up leveling in the sewer dungeon under sandoria and was reminded of how many zones are in the game like that which are used maybe a handful of times and other wise don't exist. Definitely an interesting world building aspect of an everquest mmo versus more utilitarian games like wow based ones.

Exploring those strange places, like the caves under la theine and the ruins under windurst was always really crazy cause, especially in pre 2010, it felt like you could run into or find things that were undocumented.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 8, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I still refer to tiamat when it was cutting edge and how bonkers it was. Tanks existed to die. Side alliances dedicated to killing adds and building tp, casters being told to log out for five minutes if they caught hate, people accidentally calling for help on him at 5% hp. Lmao. Lmao.

I wasn't around when absolute virtue killed people.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Come back and play the strange empty world where you slaughter mobs with npcs and earn 300 from easy prey and 1500-2000 from stronger mobs.

I haven't finished the rhaposodies so I'm sure it gets even higher.

I was level 59 blue mage yesterday and logged out at 70. It's wild. If I was really trying I could have easily gotten to 75 at least.

A goon helped me with a quest NM and was dumping damage as a 99BLU. they opened with an eight hit combo then pulled out a couple spells that did 3500 damage. It was awesome.

It's fun.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

frodnonnag posted:

You can get over 10k exp a kill, my smn frequently does 50k-99k damage moves, its great.

:eyepop: I'm gated behind a bunch of chains quests. I really want that last trust slot.

Why are red mage trusts so flipping hard to find.

I've been using the bard you get from finishing the ROE basics and he's okay. Throwing rocks though, Jesus dude.

I also wish I could tell the trusts to not blow their weapon skills on mobs with 5% hp. Looking at you zeid 2. Ground striking at 3000 tp.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
There were enough goons on earlier the linkshell menu had a scroll bar. :eyepop:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You use a controller you heathen.

Or switch to compact keyboard, maybe. That might help move poo poo over. Numpad stuff is wretched.

First time I logged into XI in like, 04? 03? whatever, I had to ask some random guy in port sandoria how to move because the concept of having movement keys on the numpad was insane to me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
This is all I ever think about in FFXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4FOd4e0rjM

"What am I teh gil bringer now"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ffxi mobile

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Melee need high rear end accuracy for end game stuff. You can still dick around but you gotta have hella good gear to reach the breakpoints.

14 made a good call deleting accuracy so quickly to avoid this nightmare.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
This game is good. Hit 99 last summer and quit but have geared up to 119 recently and the amount of poo poo to do and gear to get is awesome.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah get your rear end to mars (Asura)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ambuscade is a 99+ event you sign up for and get rewards from in mhaura

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Corsair is the new ranger

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
they're especially trivialized cause you can buy coffer keys from a moogle now depending on how far you've done rhapsodies of vanadiel quests (which it sounds like you'll be fine since you'll be getting the trusts)

the only real roadblock on the ROVs is an NM fight Siren but anyone in the LS can stomp it for you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
level MNK if you enjoy and like it but be warned it's extremely out of the current endgame meta cause it produces too much TP and all its weaponskills suck ultimately.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah blu/war with the right spells gets double attack, store tp, triple attack, attack and accuracy traits, dual wield, and a bunch of poo poo. it's a monster DD job.

the job point gifts are extremely good too: 100 and 1200 job point gifts increase the tier of all traits by one level each. so setting dual wield 1 gives you dual wield 3. (doesn't effect traits that change with higher tiers, like double attack/triple attack and gil finder/treasure hunter and auto refresh for some reason)

it's also a really powerful AOE job since it isn't limited by mob density (number of mobs doesn't affect damage done to each). this mage ability also lets it participate in a lot of higher end content since it can nuke decently where meleeing isn't as much of the focus point. the versatility is great.

a lot of the more traditional DDs are still good too, dark knight and warriors can do some loving work.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIwBDNDO4M

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
loving empy armor seals
:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did. I’d rather do that again that farm empy seals!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i got an ark scythe but forgot to get a loving trident from halloween for my ninja.

there’s an all jobs great sword you can get from a 250 merit battlefield.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

frodnonnag posted:

ahahaha ahahahaha

good loving luck.

word? i got no idea i’m just repeating information

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i’m a masochist so all my login points go to beastmen seals for running the kraken club BCNM. and they’re half off right now!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
erotic role playing grandpa

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

taels posted:

And how much does 165-180m Gil cost
Ssmesdit: how much are the dyna currencies worth now?

165-180 dollars. you can assume 1$=1m in most buying conditions (unless you’re buying from chinese gil sellers for 2-3x that like a scrub.)

iirc that’s about what 30k alex goes for, about 185$

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just buy oils and powders from the moogle if you’re too low to cast sneak invis in yourself as whm

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
cleaving escha zi tah is always packed but the gear required to cleave escha ru aun makes it less appealing so it’s usually up for grabs. namely the two wings off to the side past the dragon straight from the entrance.

i never got anyone from 1-99 in 10-30 minutes but i did get to chain 454 last time i did it which took a bit but got someone (specifically a COR so they had bonus + rings) from 1-99 in that time

but yeah, 3m is kinda steep if you’re just trying to burn one up. sometimes you can leech off groups in zi tah if you ask but it’s a total gamble.

edit: well not just gear but the casters are really not BST cleave friendly so it’s pretty much BLU exclusive

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
if you’re gonna buy parts of REMA buy the materials directly, it’s cheaper than buying gil then buying the poo poo.

if you’re like like unemployed you can finish a mythic and empyrean in 3-4 weeks.

twashtar is a dope rema. for empy you’re gonna want all red procs tho.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
why not use a whm trust so you can play another character as a DD?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Is it worth coming back to this game at all? I've had a weird nostalgic itch.

I think yes. I wouldn’t recommend this game to anyone who didn’t play it back in the day, because it’s just too esoteric IMO. but if you’re vaguely familiar with the game’s mechanics and have a nostalgic itch, try it out.

It is really refreshing and interesting getting all your HP unlocked as teleports, it’s a blast getting something to 99 and equipping lv117-119 gear and watching all your base stats triple. When I quit playing in january I believe my DEX base was like 89+280 when i was in my DEX gear.

doing story content is a breeze. you can equip two linkshells which is nice. party content is endgame now, ambuscade, capacity point parties, etc. and while true endgame content in the form of ultimate weapons (esp aeonic, which requires defeating all NMs in 3 endgame zones) + Omen + Ambuscade + New Dynamis for Relic+2 doesnt seem like very much, it isn’t very little either. if you factor in ALL content. there’s a SHITLOAD to do.

i’d say it’s a very different game but in many good ways. i don’t harbor a lot of sweet nostalgia for 75 or hold it up as a pinnacle. It’s just different.

to note, Asura is the most populated by a large margin. other serves can boast a peak player count of like 300... asuras gets closer to 2k at times.

if you’re more interested in relieving old school 75 content and old school partying, then the private server Nosomi might be more your speed. you can find people streaming it on twitch if you wanna just take a peek. the fact they have level sync means even lower pops can find parties anywhere all the time.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 11, 2018

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

DizzyBum posted:

That is looking pretty good!

FFXI has a lot of meat on its bones at this point. A proper remastering/repackaging of the game engine and a streamlining of all the major gameplay features would make for an amazing experience.

this will KILL me

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I do have to say, I miss the old style of play with parties hanging out in zones pulling mobs, how it was before the books and what not (like, 2004 times). I think I'm the weird one here though.

old school camps are cool but everyone doesn’t remember the standing in town hoping for an invite as DD aspect of it. but you can relive the joy on Nasomi!

omg yes the mount music is AWFUL

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
word

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the dream of ffxi is to not play it so who can blame them

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
lol at that OPs examples of bots. someone hasn’t taken a little trip over to the eft camp in gates

loving madness in there.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
when you install it the 6th time dig up the torrent with all the patches so all it has to do is check the files and you’re on your way.

unless you did do that and it still took 9 hours in which case RIP.

i still have it installed on the VM partition on my mac despite not having played since january simply because i refuse to ever go through the install process again (and i had weird undocumented graphical glitches I basically took 3 days to resolve) plus my stupid gearswap LUAs (that are easily backed up but hell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
my first thought was were the DRKs swapping into that hosed up SU3 gear that makes their HP go from like 2.4k go 5.9k cause that could make a healer DUMP in a panicked way (plus it makes you take 50% more damage, which isn’t that big of a deal if you’re only WS swapping)

then again if they’re swapping into that gear they’re prob using scythes and hopefully catastrophe.

but ultimately it’s probably souleater. it’s always souleater.

they will loving suck their HP dry with soul eater and even if it’s doing reduced HP loss (i think it’s 5% with traits at 99) but with haste and triple/double attack you can seriously devour your health super fast.

was it a heavy AOE fight? if the healer was panic healing the DRKS cause they saw their HP go orange they could be wasting tons of mp completely uselessly? idk what the rune could’ve done if it was super heavy physical AOE vs magic