Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Gonna give this another try I think after about 10 years.

Should I use a controller or did they make using a keyboard not terrible at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
Is there any reason to grind low level gear or should I just grind to max level before I do anything? I was trying to get Leapin Lizzie to spawn so I could farm bounding boots but gave up

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

There's no way to get Goblin Stew 880 right now is there? I bought two upgrades worth of gobblebag stuff off the ah but it's already getting cost prohibitive

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

I'm wondering if there's any point to leveling synthing or just keep selling acheron shields for gil and buying the stuff, it doesn't look like the stew has been available for a few years now

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

They have a mog garden event here and there where you can buy the stew for 100k each. As a log in item, they mail it in for login events so don't count on that.

Crafting isn't worth it unless you go for the ultimate poopsock item.

....which is?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

so did I miss out on Shantotto II trust forever?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Wow these limit break quests are awful, at least with trusts. Guess I'm buying a lot of prism powder

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Really it's just the part where I have to run around Davoi to open that barrier

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

What a coincidence, I just helped Tsuru do that one and I think it might have been the single worst thing in the game. gently caress Davoi.

No, now the worst thing in the game is trying to find a god damned treasure coffer in god damned Eldieme Necropolis

EDIT: I logged in quick before work and it was in the first room I checked womp womp

Verbose fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 8, 2018

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Speaking of poo poo that gives you fits, can anyone link a good crafting guide?

I'm gonna do it, go full grognard

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

Unless you like being poor and love flagrant self abuse crafting is a shitshow right now because of the shields. The first few stages are fine but the last one is a gigantic shitshow gil and time sink. Since other people had a headstart and bots, people have already finished shields and completely ruined the market of high end craftables on asura.
Items that were 200m are now 30. Nqs are dirt and never ever profitable.

Oh I didn't want to make money, I just like maxing stuff out

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

Afterglow an ochain and/or dadaubla.

I do not know what this means

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Kieyen posted:

ERPing.

Or ambuscade and salvage.

ERPing eh

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

What shield are you all talking about

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

So are there any good crafting guides? Kinda got derailed with everyone going off about the shields

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

is it better to just buy stuff off the AH for gobblebag upgrades then?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Is there aoe tanking in this game? I've died trying to get my DRK helm twice and I really am dreading farming up another quadav mage blood

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

hey so should I just power farm until 99? Been trying to do stuff at the "appropriate" level but I get the feeling the window for the real experience is long past

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

You'd need to be a bit more specific.

If that means doing stuff like AF quests around level 60, than yes skip all that crap.

Should I just do enough to get the different color rhapsodies then

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

These limit break quests reeeallllly slow things down. What's the best place to farm dark knight testimony?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Gustav tunnels doom soldiers and doom guards

Aw man I was already there for an hour

I can get why rare mats and stuff have low drop rates but not stuff you need to keep playing the game

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Shout for a thief to help with the drops

I turned off global chat as it was like 99% people complaining about global leftist / jewish conspiracies

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Guess I might as well ask how I get a link pearl now

Also what's frod

Verbose fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2018

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Is there an easy way to level dark magic as a DRK

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Ort posted:

I just casted bio a couple times on every enemy as I leveled up and it kept it close to cap into the 60s, where I ditched the class!

why did you abandon the class out of curiosity?

I like being a goth elf and I like the idea of being a stun cannon

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

I like how the login campaign has just absolute crap.

Do they plan what they're gonna do? I want shantotto II and some goblin stew

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Ort posted:

These were just up in Feb in the Mog Garden event, not sure how often that happens

Buhhhh I haven't done any of the mog garden stuff, I thought it was only through the login campaign

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

So according to this guide, Siren should be doable around 75 with trusts, but she takes very little damage.

Are skillchains with trusts a thing? I only have Dark Knight at high level

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Verbose posted:

So according to this guide, Siren should be doable around 75 with trusts, but she takes very little damage.

Are skillchains with trusts a thing? I only have Dark Knight at high level

So I tried this at 83, keep getting close but everyone keeps running out of mana. I'm a 83 DRK, any good trust setups?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Good time to come back for retail 20+ trusts avail http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/login/login59.html

I believe someone said the Goblin Stew 880 was gonna be available too? Or is that a garden event.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I'm a fight away from getting it, I think. At this point I don't care how good or bad it is...I just want it.

green shrub trust?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Hey so what's the benefit of doing all the nations missions besides gil and the banner

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

+10% CP for each completion

Do your rank points reset when you change allegiances?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Does Square still do that thing where they delete your character if you don't log in for however many months

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

Nope. Thankfully.

rip in pepperoni my first few years playing this stupid game

oh good, need to pay off some poo poo so suspending any non essentials rn

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Do you think we'll ever get a classic server for this game? We didn't even get the vanilla version on release, correct?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Systematic System posted:

It is also difficult to say what is "vanilla." FFXI wasn't released outside of Japan till the first expansion came out. The level cap was initially 50, but it was up to level 65 by the release of Zilart. People originally fought the Shadow Lord at level 50 when it was a real hell of a fight. I think of classic FFXI as being everything up to CoP, ToAU was a transition period where the game was getting a bit kinder and a little bit less of a grindfest (until Mythics anyways), and then WoTG and Abyssea bring us to the modern era of FFXI.

Classic FFXI is a poo poo game from any modern perspective I think, but I still feel the siren's call of CoP once in a while. That was a good time to play (probably because I was in high school).

(https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/The_History_of_Final_Fantasy_XI if anyone wants to see how FFXI has changed throughout the years, especially in the era before the Western release.)

Yeah like I played the modern version in like 2018 and I let my AI teammates kill the shadow lord while I was looking at my phone. I just think it would be fun in a grindy old school mmo way to do the fight with 5 other players as intended

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Thinking of getting into this again, starting over though because I don't remember where I left off. What's the best solo class to get through the story? Or is it one of those doesn't matter because there's a merc for everything situation.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Wow I forgot how insanely difficult it is just to set this game up.

Like what's this poo poo about me transferring a playonline account to my Squenix account? I don't know what it wants me to do. I can't navigate all this poo poo.

I just bought a new copy of the game and it says "This playonline ID cannot be transferred"

Edit: Finally got it working by reactiaving an old account I'm gonna go jump off a building

Verbose fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

So I'm on Bahaumut... how the hell do you get gear in this game?