Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Here is the discord link
https://discord.gg/MKw5d5a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

You definitely want to stay up to date on Rhapsodies as you go.
The bonus' you get from it are amazing(exp, skill gain, key items to skip annoying/tedious poo poo), it unlocks more trust party slots (from 3 to 5 total), and in general the story will be better if you do it alongside the missions as intended.

Once you max out levels and story, there is plenty of "end game" that can be done solo with trusts. You really only need an LS/group for top tier content. And that's a very small amount of content these days.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I remember Front Mission Online running through it.
Tetramaster as well for the 5 people who played that.

Odds are slim SE will ever ditch POL for XI if they haven't by now.
Given the dev time required and how small their team is it just doesn't make sense to put effort into it. It's clunky as hell, but it works.

The one change they really should consider is removing a few clicks to login though, just skip right to the play button.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

PS: Do not join a private server. They are all hosed and run by terrible people, especially the 2 popular ones, and the insane grind is not worth it.

Casually level to 99 (which is super fast nowadays, even as a newbie) and group at 99. You'll have the most fun that way with a huge mix of solo and group content readily available.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

New OP is a great idea.

Linking the BG Wiki article is good.
I would also maybe go over the actual account creation/login steps. Making a new account in SEs insane system always jams people up.
Stressing the importance of RoV would be good too.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Zaphod42 posted:

I still call them tarutaru though and refuse to say 'lalafel'

You're not a falafel you're a gnome

Same. They will always be Taru, Galka, Mithra, Hume and Elvaan.

I am 100% racists towards Galka in both games too. They can't be trusted...

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

CodfishCartographer posted:

I know I can probably just Google all this, but it's fun to learn via word of mouth, just like the old days :v:

Feel free to hop on our Discord and we can answer all your questions pretty quickly!

As mentioned the days of super hard HNMs are gone, but SE has released some quite difficult BCNMs for the dedicated to challenge. Most content is a walk in the park these days, but certainly not all of it.

I say give the free login period a try. It's pretty fun to go stomp old content, experience all the story, and try things that needed a huge LS before. There is also a poo poo ton of new content since the 75 days. It would take you months to experience everything.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

For THF, TH isn't as craved as it once was. THF is a moderate DPS now and still a great farmer. They wont find much place in top tier end game if people want to min/max. But for your average group they do fine.

The LOLDRG meme is pretty much gone. DRG are decent DPS and can become monsters with top end gear. They aren't top tier, but aren't far off.

BST still solos mainly, but they are monsters now and can solo a ton.
PUP is much the same, they are used in some groups here and there. Sometimes they really shine in Ambuscade as their pets can tank and not be charmed. But thats pretty niche.

BLU are incredible well rounded jobs. But learning spells still sucks hard.
I wouldn't level one as your first job, but as a second they can be huge assets and easily become your main.

SMNs don't heal at all anymore. They do insane amounts of damage when well geared. Bordering on OP in some situations.
In others they do good damage and provide buffs.

NIN are meh these days. They aren't very good tanks anymore, damage is mediocre. Still great soloers though.

Gil is pretty easy these days. Itcan be earned just by earning exp now by trading in sparks. Or farming Dynamis/Salvage is really easy as well. Just boring.
You won't be as gil strapped as the old days. There is more rare/ex gear to get instead of buying as much and farming expensive spells solo is easier.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Rynoto posted:

The level 30 promyvions were incredibly fun and not really that hard.

After they were nerfed it wasn't so bad, but originally they took an alliance to get through and were pretty brutal. It was a major roadblock for the first month or so and really turned a lot of players off.

Def a shame, COP is by far the best expansion. It's story rivals mainline FF games.

nyttyn posted:

And if anyone else is starting this game to try it and sees this, don't pick bastok. There's a part early on, the 1-3 mission, where it asks you to get items with a really low drop rate that cost a lot on the AH and are being camped by bots. Just went through it, super frustrating.

That's pretty lame. But also Bastok is the worst city anyways, don't pick it. There is a reason we all called it Lastok.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Private servers are all terrible, mainly because they are run by terrible people who don't know what they are doing or play favourites with their pals and make end game unfair.

You are better off just playing retail. The 75cap nostalgia isn't as fun as it seems.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 21, 2020

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Frog Act posted:

Someone repost the discord link there are a bunch of goons now but we're not all in the same LS

Here ya go

I'm not currently subbed but god drat reading all these questions and advice about old FFXI content really hits you in the nostalgia. I really wish I could relive all that fresh (but also the grind was so brutal back then so pass).

I've often debated resubbing as a new character, but it's very hard to leave behind all your progress as well.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 11, 2020

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The new story is 3 quests so far. It involves a newly reincarnated Galka child named Raebrimm which is super close to the Shadowlord, Roagrimm. So My guess based on that, and Resurgence being in the story name, is this will be a new Shadowlord type deal.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

frodnonnag posted:

Private servers for xi are peak terrible. Don't drag people into that void.

This.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Robo Reagan posted:

Sweet, thanks. Should I grab Windower of Ashita? I think those were the two big boys of plugins?

Windower.
Ashita might technically be more powerful, but Windower is easy to use and has less shady devs.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Capital Letdown posted:

This thought also sent me on a trip of even remembering ENM's were a thing. We used to do the Brothers one in Uleguerand Range too for exp when we didn't feel like partying. I don't thing it really dropped anything regularly. Did anyone ever do ENM's?

I think we mainly did the Uleguerand one (Brothers) for gil, as I recall. Back then R3, Hedgehog Bomb, and Anelace weapons sold well. I was also after Cloud Evokers so I could drag my HNMLS to Ouryu so I could then drag them to Bahamut as I really wanted a Bahamuts Mask. Never did get that mask...

Edit: Also yes, I am confident we could both climb Parradamo Tor first try a decade later.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 18, 2021

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Bland posted:

Could I get an invite to the discord server? I just started playing again for the first time since like 2008 and getting stuck on seemingly one of the few missions that can't be soloed (Windurst 3-2) made me realise I should probably start acknowledging that this game isn't a single player RPG.

https://discord.gg/MJ7m5qMUKA

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Space bar for general say chat, though no one uses that really.

Or you can do CTRL T <name> to send a tell, CTRL R for reply, CTRL L for Linkshell(guild chat), CTRL P for party, etc.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I still play purely with keyboard and could never be convinced otherwise.

Even when I played on PS2 it was all keyboard. Though I was RDM main back then and felt it was too involved for a controller.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Now is a good time to come back. The story is completely soloable with trusts.
It's also free login week if you want to see if it grips you before committing to a sub.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

FrostyPox posted:

I see. Honestly that's not what I'd consider maintenance mode all though obviously it's not as good as getting 100% new stuff. Still, cool that they're not just letting it totally stagnate like most other MMOs that are considered to be in "maintenance mode" where there's practically nothing new to do at all except for perhaps the occasional event.

I believe that was their intention but then the game has had a very consistent player base, and even increased at times. If we go by FFXIAH stats there are about 90,000 active players, and that only includes ones using the AH. Pretty safe to say the game is still making them over 1 million a month with numbers like that.
I guess that justified them doing more. Given its age the amount of content we do get is impressive.

As was already mentioned we get a monthly update that always has a new Ambuscade battle, and sometimes we also get balance changes, more Voracious Resurgence story, and a new battlefield (Shinryu last month).

They've announced they are doing updates to all jobs "soon". Though we don't have much info on what exactly.

They have also announced something big is coming for the 20th anniversary next year. Again we have few details, but with the new We Are Vana'diel website they just launched I suspect we'll see some news trickle in over the next year.

So yeah, the game is thriving and far from maintenance mode. Hell, we get more now than we did during the tail end of WOTG.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 8, 2021

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

punk rebel ecks posted:

There was a recent interview where Square said they will never shut the game down since it's a numbered entry. Plus the game is still profitable according to them. And from my observations and talking with other players is still relatively active and not declining.

Relatively active is putting it lightly. With over 106k active characters, the game is easily making over 1 million USD a month. FFXI isn't going away anytime soon.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The real answer is to skip it and if you ever need to go through the door again use Tako.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That's my thinking. If SE bans me they would be doing me a favor at this point.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I think most goons are on Asura, I am not so I cant provide a gold pass. But here is our Discord: https://discord.gg/Wg2JE4Z2Bu

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Private servers stink. Just play retail.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Carmant posted:

Private servers are fun. You should give them a shot.

I have, they aren't for me. I can't get past the incomplete features, incorrect formulas, and quite often terrible admins who play favourites with their friends linkshells.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 11, 2021

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

FrostyPox posted:

I haven't logged into this in a while, I should play it more. Still got 30 Bard and then for some reason a second character that's a 15 Black Mage and I still have no idea what I'm doing but having fun doing it. RoE are pretty cool for getting gear though

It's free login right now. Good time to get re-addicted.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

If it helps it won't be the last time you do that. Especially with FFXIs fragmented dual wiki nonsense.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Ranzear posted:

At least Asura is good for shank supply. Now I can leave for less congested pastures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdbcXYlsFw

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I think I spent about 80mil on shanks to get mine back in the day. Which would have been around 60 runs.
Cost me more than Aegis :(

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

If you are on Shiva or Asura one of us can hook you up with some gil as well. Join the discord in OP and we can coordinate.

We're also way more active on there than any in-game LS chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Here is a gold world pass if you need it.

I am Tanag in game if you want some starting gil or to get together for the gold pass rewards in a few weeks (I forget when we have to get together off hand).

I am AFK 90% of the time though but if you send me a tell Ill eventually see it.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 22, 2024