Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sunrise in Colorado by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Work!

IMG_5810.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_5762.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_5743.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Pretty cool to stumble upon this surprisingly specific thread! I don't do a whole lot of aerial photography, nor do I know much about planes at all, but I had the opportunity to go up in a chase plane to cover a preview of an airshow performance last summer, definitely a fun assignment.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHag9XA_3RY

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
So, I was in PNG...

P2-NAX by Powercube, on Flickr

P2-PXP by Powercube, on Flickr

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Apparently Red Flag is starting tomorrow. It's unlikely that I'll do it, but I'm somewhat tempted to make the trip over there and do some spotting. Has anyone here ever tried that? Any tips?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Apparently Red Flag is starting tomorrow. It's unlikely that I'll do it, but I'm somewhat tempted to make the trip over there and do some spotting. Has anyone here ever tried that? Any tips?

I'd love to get a press call for that, but I'm not a U.S Citizen :( I'll just be jealous of you for another few years.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

DC-9-32 N215US at KLUK by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

This is still one of my favorite shots I've taken, but it bothers me that the light stars kinda overpower the rest of the image. How would I have avoided this? (I realize I sound like a total newbie saying that, but in many, many ways I still am. I don't even have a noise reduction capability...)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

DC-9-32 N215US at KLUK by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

This is still one of my favorite shots I've taken, but it bothers me that the light stars kinda overpower the rest of the image. How would I have avoided this? (I realize I sound like a total newbie saying that, but in many, many ways I still am. I don't even have a noise reduction capability...)

Wider aperture and faster shutter speed.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I photographed some Red Flag jets, for a little while. Cross-posting from TFR's Airpower thread:

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Thread needs more Chengdus:

2720 by Powercube, on Flickr

F933 by Powercube, on Flickr

F946 by Powercube, on Flickr

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

StandardVC10 posted:

I photographed some Red Flag jets, for a little while. Cross-posting from TFR's Airpower thread:
:words: :words: :words:

'oley mackeral, these are spectacular. What are you shooting with?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

IceLicker posted:

'oley mackeral, these are spectacular. What are you shooting with?

Thank you!

I used a Canon 50D + 100-400L IS USM zoom.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I tried my hand at airshow photography for the first time this weekend. Sadly it was overcast and I/my camera was having a bit of trouble with the autofocus on some planes but I managed to get a few okay photos. Nothing like the rest posted in here but I'll post a couple of my favourite ones anyway.

Full set here, I'm still slowly adding photos to it though:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74315705@N00/sets/72157641681765695/

Gear: Canon 400D (around 6 years old) Most of these taken with a 75-300mm kit IS USM lens.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Nice photos, glad someone else took snaps as my camera decided to die on friday night. Hell of an airshow, the classic bug displays rocked!

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
For anyone in Los Angeles or Kern counties in CA, there is an airshow going on this weekend in Lancaster.

http://www.lacountyairshow.com/event-information/

code:

Opening Ceremony, National Anthem & Flag Jump
    Draken International A-4 Arrival
    B-25 Demonstration
    P-38 Demonstration
    NASA ER-2 Platform Flyover
    Greg Colyer, T-33
    Steve Oliver – Aerobatic Performance
    Formation Flying Demonstration
    Chuck Coleman Aerobatics
    Korean War Reenactment – featuring a dogfight between an F-86 Sabre and a MIG 15
    Red Bull Helicopter – Chuck Aaron
    West Coast Ravens
    CAF Red Tail Squadron P-51C Mustang Performance
    Northrop N9MB Flying Wing Demonstration
    Smoke N’ Thunder Jet Car – Bill Braack
    Kirby Chambliss & Red Bull Wingsuit Flyers
    Heritage Flight – F-86/P-51
    U.S. Navy Blue Angels
I live about a mile and a half as the crow flies from the airport, so I've been seeing stuff out there all week. The Blue Angels are out there now, running through their routine. I went out with my T3i and kit zoom and realized that I'm super poo poo at this, so I might have to be content with taking pictures of stuff on the ground.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I went to that show yesterday! First real test of my new SL1, and I was still getting used to it, but I snapped about 1,600 shots over the course of about 4-5 hours. After culling about 1,000 so far, here are a handful of my favorites. I'm still looking through the Blue Angels photos (that happened right after I changed cards). Really impressed with the battery in the SL1, I kept reading that it was good for maybe 400 shots, but it lasted all day. I think all of these here were with the 55-250 STM lens. I kept that on for most of the action, only really swapping to the 18-55 for walking around.

edit; Added some Blue Angels shots. My favorite two (I love the breaks):

e; fixed links, trimmed down a bit (everything was re-uploaded and replaced).

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 8, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

That looks like a pretty good airshow. I just saw the one down in El Centro so I passed it up, but I'm sad that I missed a U-2 (well, a U-2 relative, at least.)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I was there today!

Still digging through the few hundred more pictures that I have.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nice shots, a friend of mine builds science payloads that go in this plane.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The ER-2 was nuts. Totally silent cruising around (at least, I couldn't hear it over the din of the crowd).

Then they did a rapid climb demonstration. :swoon:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
So I was sitting in my truck next to a field waiting for some short-eared owls to show up when an entirely different type of bird appeared:

Its not really an airplane but I didn't know where else to post this stuff. I don't even know what this thing is called.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Powered Paraglider.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

The new flickR forum sharing options are fuckin' retarded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That is a superb looking 787, though...

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

That watermark is fuckin' retarded.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

That watermark is fuckin' retarded.

After having a few airlines steal my photos- I've gone full "gently caress you" on marking lately. Only way they can't scrub them off as easily.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I got to see something very rare up close earlier this month:

880M (22M-3) ex-N48058 in Cincinnati
by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I got to see something very rare up close earlier this month:

880M (22M-3) ex-N48058 in Cincinnati
by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

Wow, how did you manage to dig that one up?

Anyway, I guess as long as this thread's here, I did go to the Chino air show last weekend, but the 90-degree weather and sun position relative to the show direction murdered my photos. I'm embarrassed to show them in the photography forum, maybe I'll post the more exotic hardware in the AI thread later. So instead here's the air show I went to before that, in El Centro:

So close…

I'm pretty happy about how they turned out given it was my first time trying to photograph the Blue Angels or anything similar, but I feel like my shooting technique still needs work.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

prop blur and both beacons, always fun

N564SW by Powercube, on Flickr

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Wow, how did you manage to dig that one up?

Truth? Browsing Google late at night, looking for any sign of a preserved something in Ohio. Found a blog post that I've since lost with a picture of it, some detective work later I'd found it, located it, and got an ID. Took me two years to get around to actually visiting it, though. I've located other preserved aircraft (and tanks, and cannons) that were unknown to the internet through similar methods. It's amazing what you can find in your own backyard when you look hard enough!

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 23, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I always have my camera ready when going through Shreveport/Bossier, hoping to get a closeup of a B-52 on short final.

The one time the person I ride with goes through there without me, she sees a BUFF screaming over the highway at treetop level. :argh:

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
I wish I had more opportunities to shoot aviation. I posted some Airshow shots in the last Aviation thread.

For now, I've got this, from the Australian War Memorial Open Day last year. I could have cropped it a bit tighter, but I didn't. For comedy.

DSC_0691
by MarneusC, on Flickr

Shrinking Universe fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 24, 2014

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Sometimes, you just need 750mm effective focal length:

Most of the Kazakh Air Force's SU-27s by Powercube, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

DSCF1147.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Christ the weather is awful this summer. After 6 weeks of touring, I think I got 5 whole days of sun, if I add up the clear evenings.

These guys were passing through for fuel and customs, on their way from Alaska to Washington to fight fires. Our northern BC base has been so goddamned waterlogged it's hard enough to light your cigarette, let alone an entire forest. But I hear it does happen. Weird.

Helicopters are bad enough to walk around on when they're dry. I've fallen off a few myself and it sucks. I bet 107s are exciting when they've been sitting out in the rain.

DSCF1079.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

DSCF1103.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Disappearing into the mist, never to be seen again.

DSCF1112.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Delivery McGee posted:

I always have my camera ready when going through Shreveport/Bossier, hoping to get a closeup of a B-52 on short final.

The one time the person I ride with goes through there without me, she sees a BUFF screaming over the highway at treetop level. :argh:

I just drove past Dyess AFB twice in as many days and all I saw was this stinkin' Herc.

The other unit that lives there flies B-1s. :saddowns:

Also, amusingly, there's a dragstip between Dyess and Abilene. I guess when you're next to a USAF base flying Bones, there's less likelihood of people moving in next door and complaining about the dragstrip noise until it gets shut down (as happened to my local strip).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

I guess when you're next to a USAF base flying Bones, there's less likelihood of people moving in next door and complaining about the dragstrip noise until it gets shut down (as happened to my local strip).

Nope, there is at least one case of people complaining and getting a race track next to a very busy Air Force base shut down. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but it has happened.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

fknlo posted:

Nope, there is at least one case of people complaining and getting a race track next to a very busy Air Force base shut down. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but it has happened.

Yeah, well they were probably near a base that had quiet (relatively) planes. Or maybe the General's/Congressman's kid runs a car at the Abilene dragstrip. Or maybe the AFB and dragstrip are out in a godforsaken sun-scorched hellhole where nobody would want to live even without the noise issues (it was 104F there today).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hi all, looking for a few general tips so I don't take terrible photos over the next few days. I live in Cardiff, and the big NATO meeting is happening between this city and the one nearby, which means there's a fair bit of activity in the skies at the moment. Yesterday I saw an Osprey go past which was pretty cool, and it wasn't until today did I realise I might actually be able to take some 'better than an iPhone at least' photos if I strap my 70-300 on to my ageing D50.

I know I'm not going to get anything to rival the stuff posted here, but any general tips? I'm getting back into the photography swing again and essentially learning everything from scratch, but I generally shoot full manual at least and understand the basics of shutter speeds, aperture etc. However, I'm usually using a 35mm 1.8 prime and taking photos of slow/static objects, rather than a far away, fast moving helicopter.

Apparently there's going to be a big airshow thing on Friday morning and if I get up stupid early I could head down somewhere and get some better pics from a better vantage point than my front yard. They're pretty high up for the most part here so not the best view.

My main query is asking for a good balance between ISO (I can go up to 1600 max on this but it's a bit noisy. 800 seems better, but I've usually left it on auto before), aperture (5.6 is my fastest at the top end of the 300mm which I've been using) and shutter speed. I'm a pretty shaky dude so I've been keeping the shutter above 1,000 to try and help, and I might use the wall to help me balance. Any other tips that would help a newbie at this would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, I'm literally hearing helicopters, running outside with the camera, pointing and shooting. I've put the camera into AF-C and burst mode, but things I've read seem to indicate I might be better with my usual AF-S? Only taken about 3 pics so far so nothing to post here, but would love to have something 'usable' by the end of the week. Even the media are just posting crappy video stills on their sites it seems!

e: another one went past, and got some shots through my window (didn't have the time to run downstairs). Hopefully this will show what I'm dealing with. No crop, just resized.

EXIF:

ISO 200 (I must've knocked this down earlier)
Shutter 1/1600
Auto Exposure
Aperture 5.6
Focal Range 300mm (450mm at 35mm)

I feel like I can't keep the camera remotely still at full zoom, but can't really stabilise it as I'm constantly moving to keep up with it. I'm guessing that's why it just feels really soft (plus it's a pretty bottom end lens, but I know it's capable of decent photos with good technique!)

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread