Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lightning Lord posted:

As a break from the Gods War talk, what's your favorite Glorantha adventure? I'm going to be running a oneshot for some newbies to the setting. I'm leaning towards a taster of Snake Pipe Hollow, Griffin Mountain, Borderlands or Pavis and Big Rubble, because I have the Classics pdfs and the people I'm running it for are sandbox enthusiasts. I'll probably use Runequest, because most of them are also Call of Cthulhu players. Maybe I should run Apple Lane or something of a more introductory nature?

Are there any other adventures I've overlooked that might be of interest? Some cool fan written ones? Keep in mind I could convert an HQ scenario if one catches my eye.

Also, I have the Guide to Glorantha, so I didn't pick up Cult Compendium. Should I get that? It looks to have lots of necessary gaming material, what with being a reprint of Cults of Prax and Terror and all.

get the cult compendium

griffin mountain is a nice starter campaign

that's how i started :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Cool.

How's the d101 material?

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
We started with Griffin as well because it came out first, but I think Borderlands is probably the best to start with because the concept is newcomers scoping out the land. To me, it's ideal for a first campaign. Also, Prax is just plain more interesting. My memory is Griffin is kind of one note.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lightning Lord posted:

Cool.

How's the d101 material?

whats d101?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hogge Wild posted:

whats d101?
https://d101games.com/

Newt Newport's semi-pro publishing enterprise, with a strong Gloranthan emphasis. Pretty good quality and tempo of releases. His Glorantha stuff is solid, and tends to emphasize adventures and actual play, rather than the worldbuilding and esoterica that so many other Glorantha products highlight.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Cool.

How's the d101 material?

I really liked Red Sun Rising. The arc where you're managing a bunch of Darra Happan kids competing in a sandcastle building contest is just adorable :3:

Gloranthan adventures 1 was pre-guide and sort of meh. I liked what little of Hearts in Glorantha I've read.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 19, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FMguru posted:

https://d101games.com/

Newt Newport's semi-pro publishing enterprise, with a strong Gloranthan emphasis. Pretty good quality and tempo of releases. His Glorantha stuff is solid, and tends to emphasize adventures and actual play, rather than the worldbuilding and esoterica that so many other Glorantha products highlight.

ok thanks

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FMguru posted:

And the next project from Moon Design is the Great Big Book Of All The Pantheons (Belintar's Book)

Hey guys, just a quick thing but does anyone with more knowledge of the work schedule at Chaousium know if this is going to be coming out in the next few years?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Josef bugman posted:

Hey guys, just a quick thing but does anyone with more knowledge of the work schedule at Chaousium know if this is going to be coming out in the next few years?

From what I know most of the writing is already done, and the book is having art commissioned for it, so that's going to take as long as it take (he said, in obvious self-defense). After that it's layout, proofreading and stuff like that. I suspect Jeff will aim to have it done next year, however Chaosium tends to prefer to have work done properly, rather than on time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jenx posted:

From what I know most of the writing is already done, and the book is having art commissioned for it, so that's going to take as long as it take (he said, in obvious self-defense). After that it's layout, proofreading and stuff like that. I suspect Jeff will aim to have it done next year, however Chaosium tends to prefer to have work done properly, rather than on time.

That's fair, are they thinking of Kickstartering it? Like they did with the guide?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

That's fair, are they thinking of Kickstartering it? Like they did with the guide?

No idea on that one.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

At one of the Chaosium seminars at Gencon, Jeff mentioned that a product called Gods of Dragon Pass was in the works, which is apparently the newest title and/or iteration of Gods of Glorantha. My memory is a little fuzzy on the topic, though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's a little disappointing, because I already know enough about the Orlanthi pantheon. I want to know more about the other gods in the world.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

They said something at one of the seminars or maybe on brp forum about how they didn't want to do any more kickstarters until the existing ones were fully fulfilled. There's some secondary crap in the CoC one that I haven't gotten, but I'd honestly rather have them move on than delay other things for dice and a tee shirt that I'll never wear.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, if the "book about Gloranthan religion" turns into Yet Another Book About The Orlanthi, that kills the chances of my buying it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The more I think about it, the less certain I am that I'm not just getting something mixed up with the Glorantha Sourcebook. Take it with a grain of salt, is what I'm saying.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

wiegieman posted:

That's a little disappointing, because I already know enough about the Orlanthi pantheon. I want to know more about the other gods in the world.

Dragon Pass also has Grazers, Trolls, Dwarves, Dragon Newts, Beastfolk, Chaos creatures, and Elves. Not to mention Lunar Tarsh. I also would expect them to include the Dar Happans, Praxians, and Esrolians because they're all from neighboring regions and tend to show up there a lot. The point of Dragon Pass is that it's sort of the crossroads where all these different civilizations meet, so it would be really weird for this book to just focus on Sartar.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Dragon Pass also has Grazers, Trolls, Dwarves, Dragon Newts, Beastfolk, Chaos creatures, and Elves. Not to mention Lunar Tarsh. I also would expect them to include the Dar Happans, Praxians, and Esrolians because they're all from neighboring regions and tend to show up there a lot. The point of Dragon Pass is that it's sort of the crossroads where all these different civilizations meet, so it would be really weird for this book to just focus on Sartar.

I'd hope so. I have been reading through some of the older stuff on the Lunars and it sounds quite intersting, but it'd be better to see it "in practice".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, if the "book about Gloranthan religion" turns into Yet Another Book About The Orlanthi, that kills the chances of my buying it.

Wait, is Orlanth or Kiger Litor currently ahead in the number of writeups? I lost track.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Everything I hear about the Lunars makes them more interesting; they're a weirdly syncretic mix of sun and moon gods who literally steal gods from other pantheons and think that combining opposites and dancing on the edge of insanity is a good thing. They're being slowly torn apart by the emergence of the next incarnation of their chief goddess, whose worshipers are really sorry about the whole thing because they're pacifists.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Wait, is Orlanth or Kiger Litor currently ahead in the number of writeups? I lost track.

I think Kiger Litor is way ahead on that, but I might be mistaken.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Everything I hear about the Lunars makes them more interesting; they're a weirdly syncretic mix of sun and moon gods who literally steal gods from other pantheons and think that combining opposites and dancing on the edge of insanity is a good thing. They're being slowly torn apart by the emergence of the next incarnation of their chief goddess, whose worshipers are really sorry about the whole thing because they're pacifists.

They are interesting, but I think probably more as antagonists than protagonists. At least as far as the Empire itself goes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

unseenlibrarian posted:

There's one that stands a head taller than anyone else:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh loving Hell the "Elmal, Yelmalio, Yelm etc" freaking saga.

What is the order it happened in "real life" because I know the history in Glorantha, but why is there all this confusion to start with?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, so those guys are actually so similar because of real-life pantheon confusion and not just the diegetic kind? I want to hear that story!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, so those guys are actually so similar because of real-life pantheon confusion and not just the diegetic kind? I want to hear that story!

I think so, I heard there was some difficulty in Elmal/ Yelmalio situational stuff.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
So I've always been under the impression that Yelm in the stories of Yelmalio/Elmal is either actually THE Yelm ,sun/son of Aether or whatever or he's one of the Dara Happan emperors that in old history had a Yelmish sorta mystical syncretism. Elmal is the son of either Yelm proper or of the Yelmish descendant and he was part of the solar pantheon as something. He fought on the Hill of Gold or some equivalent fight and his fire was stolen by the trolls leaving him as Yelmalio a kind of fireless ethereal Pole Starish guardian god. He moves into the house of Yelm as a guardian having lost his martial fire and it's then that Chalana Arroy and the Lightbringers do their thing or some equivalents happen and he is then brought into the Orlanthi pantheon as Elmal with his Solar Guardian thing still going but having lost his fire he kinda ends up with horses instead because at somepoint he helped make horses. So Yelmalio is either pre-Elmal post-fireless Sun-Son or he's a descendant of the Dara Happan royalty who was deified after a battle ritually equivalent to the Hill of Gold or some other poo poo. I think maybe

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's Elmal, the Orlanthi god of the "good" Sun, Horses, and being a loyal thane. There's Yelm, the god of the "bad" Sun, stasis, and whatever. There's Yelm's son Yelmalio, who lost his fire but kept his light, and he's part of Yelm's pantheon. He's not Elmal.

They have similar names, but Elmal is the fire god who Chalana Arroy brought with her to the storm tribe, not an Orlanthi take on another culture's god. It's like how Issaries' daughter was seduced by the moon queen when in the north, and is now the Lunar trade god.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rand Brittain posted:

Yelmalio was created first, as the Sun Dome Templars existed in the first actual public release of Gloranthan material, White Bear and Red Moon. Runequest material established the basic Yelmalio myth, the Sun Dome, and Sun County.

Then Greg Stafford started wondering about how Orlanthi would relate to the Sun. After all, Yelm is the Bad Emperor and Yelmalio can't fulfill the life-giving duties of the Sun without any heat. So as a consequence, Elmal was invented in the 1980s as the Orlanthi god of the Sun, married to the horse goddess, faithful defender of the stead, and Thunder Brother.

"I realized that the place of the Sun in Orlanthi myth, as revealed so far, was that of the enemy and foe, the Emperor. Nonetheless, there was the Sun of Life which anyone can see and feel when they go out on a sunny day. Without that then the Dark Tribe would rule again. The Orlanthi knew it and surely acknowledged the Friendly Sun. I knew that, but even as Storyteller I did not know where this might be. It was complicated when I looked into the sky in the Lesser Darkness, and there were the Lesser Suns giving aid to humans."

However, this in turn brought with it the suggestion that Elmal was the Lesser Sun who lived through the Great Darkness, rather than Yelmalio, which in turn brought about the creation of the Gregged rune to explain the conflict and confusion which resulted.

wiegieman posted:

There's Elmal, the Orlanthi god of the "good" Sun, Horses, and being a loyal thane. There's Yelm, the god of the "bad" Sun, stasis, and whatever. There's Yelm's son Yelmalio, who lost his fire but kept his light, and he's part of Yelm's pantheon. He's not Elmal.

They have similar names, but Elmal is the fire god who Chalana Arroy brought with her to the storm tribe, not an Orlanthi take on another culture's god. It's like how Issaries' daughter was seduced by the moon queen when in the north, and is now the Lunar trade god.

Well, much like how Vinga shifts back and forth from being Orlanth's daughter to Orlanth-as-a-woman, Yelmalio also shifts between being a son of Yelm and being an ascetic understanding of Yelm.

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 2, 2016

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, much like how Vinga shifts back and forth from being Orlanth's daughter to Orlanth-as-a-woman, Yelmalio also shifts between being a son of Yelm and being an ascetic understanding of Yelm.

Doesn't Yelm have various sub-aspects of himself (Dragon, Dead Sun, Reborn Sun, etc.) even disregarding Yelmalio? I know next to nothing about how any theologies outside of Heortling Orlanthi and Westerners work. That sort of multiform understanding of Big Sky is more for the city-slickers in Dara Happa than the Pelorians as a whole, right?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spiderfist Island posted:

Doesn't Yelm have various sub-aspects of himself (Dragon, Dead Sun, Reborn Sun, etc.) even disregarding Yelmalio? I know next to nothing about how any theologies outside of Heortling Orlanthi and Westerners work. That sort of multiform understanding of Big Sky is more for the city-slickers in Dara Happa than the Pelorians as a whole, right?

I mean, that's part and parcel of how most religions work- you have Buddhas as a concept, and Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha.

But to a certain extent it's also going to be driven by population- if you're a village of 300 people somewhere in rural Carmania, you probably can't really support more than a priest for Lodril and one for Yelm, so you have the associated cults conflated with the primary cult and your devotions will be done through the primary cult most of the time (this in turn can help explain why worship of Yelorna is stronger in rural areas- instead of having a Yelorna priestess, you worship Yelorna and initiate into her cult through the Yelm priest). And then some junior God Learner writes about the quaint local religious customs that offer such a profound interpretation of Truth.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

I mean, that's part and parcel of how most religions work- you have Buddhas as a concept, and Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha.

But to a certain extent it's also going to be driven by population- if you're a village of 300 people somewhere in rural Carmania, you probably can't really support more than a priest for Lodril and one for Yelm, so you have the associated cults conflated with the primary cult and your devotions will be done through the primary cult most of the time (this in turn can help explain why worship of Yelorna is stronger in rural areas- instead of having a Yelorna priestess, you worship Yelorna and initiate into her cult through the Yelm priest). And then some junior God Learner writes about the quaint local religious customs that offer such a profound interpretation of Truth.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant within Dara Happan cities specifically, rather than the religious differences over Peloria as a whole. I remember reading somewhere that Yelm can have different names and incarnations within the same cult depending on what point in his mythic cycle/daily travel you're referring to, but I know nothing more than that. Orlanth is also a Greater God, and I know that his cult is often divided into the Orlanth Adventurous / Thunderous / Rex aspects if a community's big enough to support it. Unless I'm misremembering things, there is also a similar thing going on for Yelm, right?

I should probably get The Glorious Reascent of Yelm when I have some spare cash, since it's likely to answer most of my questions on the Sky Pantheon.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spiderfist Island posted:

Sorry for the confusion, I meant within Dara Happan cities specifically, rather than the religious differences over Peloria as a whole. I remember reading somewhere that Yelm can have different names and incarnations within the same cult depending on what point in his mythic cycle/daily travel you're referring to, but I know nothing more than that. Orlanth is also a Greater God, and I know that his cult is often divided into the Orlanth Adventurous / Thunderous / Rex aspects if a community's big enough to support it. Unless I'm misremembering things, there is also a similar thing going on for Yelm, right?

I should probably get The Glorious Reascent of Yelm when I have some spare cash, since it's likely to answer most of my questions on the Sky Pantheon.

There are Yelm subcults, but in Dara Happa you're not going to see them very often because Dara Happa has maintained Karsdevanic ideas that "Yelm is not". So Murharzarm is not Yelm, Yelm is not a man, Yelm is not an Emperor, Yelm is not a Goddess, Yelm is not Idovanus, and Yelm is not a ball of fire. (The part about Shargash not being the son of Yelm is generally ignored.) Thus, Yelm subcults that exist are ones like Yelm Arraz that promote Yelm's brother Arraz as overlord, rather than ones which portray gods as dependent emanations of Yelm.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Brainiac Five posted:

"I realized that the place of the Sun in Orlanthi myth, as revealed so far, was that of the enemy and foe, the Emperor. Nonetheless, there was the Sun of Life which anyone can see and feel when they go out on a sunny day. Without that then the Dark Tribe would rule again. The Orlanthi knew it and surely acknowledged the Friendly Sun. I knew that, but even as Storyteller I did not know where this might be. It was complicated when I looked into the sky in the Lesser Darkness, and there were the Lesser Suns giving aid to humans."

I keep forgetting how goddamn weird Greg Stafford can be :allears:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

I keep forgetting how goddamn weird Greg Stafford mythology and cultural differences can be :allears:

That's generally my take away from Glorantha. It's weird only until you run into weirder poo poo from real world cultures and myths. :)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Brainiac Five posted:

Yelmalio was created first, as the Sun Dome Templars existed in the first actual public release of Gloranthan material, White Bear and Red Moon. Runequest material established the basic Yelmalio myth, the Sun Dome, and Sun County.

Then Greg Stafford started wondering about how Orlanthi would relate to the Sun. After all, Yelm is the Bad Emperor and Yelmalio can't fulfill the life-giving duties of the Sun without any heat. So as a consequence, Elmal was invented in the 1980s as the Orlanthi god of the Sun, married to the horse goddess, faithful defender of the stead, and Thunder Brother.

However, this in turn brought with it the suggestion that Elmal was the Lesser Sun who lived through the Great Darkness, rather than Yelmalio, which in turn brought about the creation of the Gregged rune to explain the conflict and confusion which resulted.

Great post.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

There are Yelm subcults, but in Dara Happa you're not going to see them very often because Dara Happa has maintained Karsdevanic ideas that "Yelm is not". So Murharzarm is not Yelm, Yelm is not a man, Yelm is not an Emperor, Yelm is not a Goddess, Yelm is not Idovanus, and Yelm is not a ball of fire. (The part about Shargash not being the son of Yelm is generally ignored.) Thus, Yelm subcults that exist are ones like Yelm Arraz that promote Yelm's brother Arraz as overlord, rather than ones which portray gods as dependent emanations of Yelm.

From what I have read this only really applies to the Dara Happas themselves. The Lodrili generally have a few different about what Yelm is or is not.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Josef bugman posted:

From what I have read this only really applies to the Dara Happas themselves. The Lodrili generally have a few different about what Yelm is or is not.

Yeah but the question was about Dara Happans proper. Lodrili smell bad and worship the god of "horny", anyways, so why should we, the heirs of one hundred thousand years of solar refinement, care what they think? Next you'll be saying we should listen to the followers of Rebellus Terminus.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Yeah but the question was about Dara Happans proper. Lodrili smell bad and worship the god of "horny", anyways, so why should we, the heirs of one hundred thousand years of solar refinement, care what they think? Next you'll be saying we should listen to the followers of Rebellus Terminus.

-sotto voice- That or your women folk -sotto voice-

That is one of the things I like about some Dara Happas though, some of them are pure and actually trying to be noble with it, but most of them are just the most smug bastards to kick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

On the other hand at it's most strict "Dara Happans Proper" is basically a portion of the cities within traditional Dara Happa (possibly not even a majority, just a plurality) and by sheer number in practice "Dara Happan" actually means Lodrili.

• Locked thread