Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know much about the Malkinoi but, obviously, there's a range of skintones on display in that picture. Are the castes related to skintone, or is it just a diverse place and the art is reflecting that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
It's the other way around - Your skin is related to your caste. Warriors are red, Workers are Black (in this case - gray) or Brown, Wizards are Blue and Leaders are Golden. The green guy is a Waertegi, who are sailors and are green. Now obviously, the Wizard is only dressed in blue in that picture, and isn't actually blue. That's because, in most Malkioni societies the castes no longer have the traditional colors of the skin, but only have those colors on their clothing.

There's a slew of other caste-related taboos and norms too. Wizards must always have a beard and always be tall (even to the point that our poor Wizard in that picture has to wear high shoes and that ridiculous hat), Warriors must always have a weapon with them - even when they sleep and so on.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 10, 2013

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I could do a small writeup of Pavis, since that is my favorite piece of the setting.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Iron is super antimagic dwarf metal, isn't it? Like you'd have to steal it from the Mostali and they'd be pretty pissed off about you ruining The Plan and would do nasty things to get it back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Doodmons posted:

Iron is super antimagic dwarf metal, isn't it? Like you'd have to steal it from the Mostali and they'd be pretty pissed off about you ruining The Plan and would do nasty things to get it back.

Not entirely true. For instance if you discovered iron lumps on your tulla that would still be a useful commodity and it would probably mean that the dwarves wouldn't come after you. Dwarves are not as efficient as they like to claim and people can, very VERY rarely, get away with cheating them.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Josef bugman posted:

Not entirely true. For instance if you discovered iron lumps on your tulla that would still be a useful commodity and it would probably mean that the dwarves wouldn't come after you. Dwarves are not as efficient as they like to claim and people can, very VERY rarely, get away with cheating them.

Finding iron is one thing. Manufacturing iron is quite different. Sort of like the difference between harvesting bog iron and smelting it from the ore.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Art for the art god! :black101:

Battle with Gargarthi

Orlmarth

Waertagi Dragonship

(that's not an island in the background)

Orlanthi Festival

Orlanthi Deities from Whitewall

Orlanthi Warrior on Horseback

Haystack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 10, 2013

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Jenx posted:

It's the other way around - Your skin is related to your caste. Warriors are red, Workers are Black (in this case - gray) or Brown, Wizards are Blue and Leaders are Golden. The green guy is a Waertegi, who are sailors and are green. Now obviously, the Wizard is only dressed in blue in that picture, and isn't actually blue. That's because, in most Malkioni societies the castes no longer have the traditional colors of the skin, but only have those colors on their clothing.

In fact, the only modern Malkioni that still display the original colors of their Castes are the Vadeli, who are sociopathic power-hungry monsters that uphold the rules of caste and society simply because it makes them immortal and powerful - and will do literally anything that doesn't violate these things if it gives them more power. All other Malkioni despise them, but they claim themselves to be the only ones who remain true to the oldest teachings, and the fact that their skin color reflects the castes is one of the things they point to as evidence.

Doodmons posted:

Dwarfs have given up on iron, in general. They lost that fight. Humans have it now, and there's no getting the piss out of the pool. When the Hero Wars come, and the Dwarfs bring back their ancient empire as their first step in fixing the World Machine, then they can think of taking back all of the iron. For now, there are a handful of human cults that can work the metal, and a handful of Openhandist dwarfs who will trade iron items - given that one of the Openhandist trading outposts is called 'Bad Deal', you can guess the price they put on the ur-metal. There's a Safelsteran duke that has a full set of plate armor made of iron, and he mortgaged the city-state he rules to pay for it.

Iron is the death-metal, and its natural state, is powerfully anti-magical. When it's enchanted with magic, you first need to suppress that quality. Even then, it's one of the strongest metals in the world, is generally more deadly against anyone, and is extremely deadly against elfs and trolls (most Dwarfs will say that they would have made it that way against humans as well, if they knew what a pain in the rear end we'd be beforehand). Don't feel too bad for the Dwarfs, though - they have plenty of other utterly terrifying and monstrous kinds of weapons that they've managed to still keep a secret from others, to the point that humans don't even know about them.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 10, 2013

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BryanChavez posted:

Iron is the death-metal, and its natural state, is powerfully anti-magical. When it's enchanted with magic, you first need to suppress that quality. Even then, it's one of the strongest metals in the world, is generally more deadly against anyone, and is extremely deadly against elfs and trolls (most Dwarfs will say that they would have made it that way against humans as well, if they knew what a pain in the rear end we'd be beforehand). Don't feel too bad for the Dwarfs, though - they have plenty of other utterly terrifying and monstrous kinds of weapons that they've managed to still keep a secret from others, to the point that humans don't even know about them.

I really hope that the majority of the Mostali upper classes suffer terrible bad luck and failure as the hero wars continue, like all of their bullshit "cannons" start melting and the stasis they love starts breaking down. The fact that they are actively the most oppresive and reactionary force on Glorantha (which is saying a lot) makes all but the most "broken" amongst them horrible people.

As a side note, the Vadeli get hurt a bit at the end as well?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 10, 2013

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Well, I mean, eventually the Stone Ships of the Dwarfs will be drawn down into Magasta's Pool, and the Trolls will eat the Dwarfs who survive the mass flooding of the entirety of Glorantha. And then the Elfs. And the Humans. And the Merfolk. Then the Sun and the Planets fall from the sky, leaving only the Sky Tyrant there to devour stars and hurl terrible fires from the heavens, sharing the Heavens with the Red Moon which is fed by this Blood Sun. I imagine the Vadeli will die sometime during the point where everyone in the entire world dies and the world is utterly annihilated, but they'll at least stick around long enough to help the Argrath defeat the Lunar Empire.

It's the Hero Wars, man. poo poo goes down.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone ever done a decent set of conversions for Glorantha to 4E D&D? I always liked the setting, but Heroquest is too abstract for the group I play with, and Runequest itself always seemed too finicky--never tried the newer versions, only the Chaosium/BRP version.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

It's the Hero Wars, man. poo poo goes down.
This always made me uneasy. I really like Glorantha, I really like getting lost in it ( KODP does it so well), but it seems all so pointless that it gets all destroyed soon. Is the point of it to show that the destruction of the red moon and the lunar empire is an overreach like Gbaji?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

CarrKnight posted:

This always made me uneasy. I really like Glorantha, I really like getting lost in it ( KODP does it so well), but it seems all so pointless that it gets all destroyed soon. Is the point of it to show that the destruction of the red moon and the lunar empire is an overreach like Gbaji?
To be fair, the Hero Wars don't destroy everything, just like the fall of the Bright Empire didn't destroy all of Peloria, even though it forever tainted Dorastor. The Lunar Empire is an overreach, yes, and in order for it to finally fall it requires about 75 years of intermittent and horrifying battles by Argrath. That part of the Hero Wars might devastate the Lunar Heartlands, but if you're in Kralorela or Seshnela, it's not quite close enough to really impinge on you that much.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

No, the Hero Wars destroys everything. The entire world is completely destroyed. It's in the prophecies of Cragspider the Firewitch. The Reforestation of the Elfs covers the West, the rising of the World Machine kills millions in Umathela. Gods and antigods ravage the far East, vast armies of Broos surge across the southern continent. The Mother of Monsters goes into the sea, spreading her progeny far and wide. The entire world is drowned, the Trolls eat everyone, the sky falls, Chaos reigns, everything is gone and everyone is dead. It's a catastrophe ten times greater than even the Gods War was.

It just doesn't stay that way.

It's a cyclical thing. The world has its ups, and it has its downs. Tribes, kingdoms, and empires grow over hundreds of years, and then the sky falls and poo poo goes down once more. You can play a game at the start of the founding of the Kingdom of Sartar, and have hundreds of years to play in before the Hero Wars even comes up. There are hundreds of places and times that don't have to worry about this. But there are also gigantic, End of the Age Catastrophes that come up eventually, big dramatic set-pieces where the players get to take a part in deciding what survives to the next Age, and what gets hosed.

I like that the game lets you play out scenarios that range between being simple cattle-raiders or world-spanning heroes, or even both at once, as the official adventures do. It's pretty cool.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 10, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Huh i just thought the "present" in Glorantha was happening in the midst of the Hero Wars, and that looking into the future was like looking into a deep chasm - you can't really see all the way down, you just know it's going to be bad. The reforestation, the world machine, the mother of monsters, the big troll feast, all of them are things that MIGHT happen and that people are trying to get to come to pass, but they haven't YET happened and might not.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, sure. None of these things have actually happened. They may not. They're all things that will happen, though, unless Your Own Glorantha doesn't see them come to pass for whatever reason, whether that's due to player character intervention or the GM's choice that they want something else to happen instead. To be a Westerner about it, I'm talking about the Ideal Platonic Form of Glorantha, whereas in reality, we're dealing with thousands of different variations of that form that will invariably deviate from it in one way or another. Even Jeff Richard's game deviates from Greg Stafford's writings.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yea that's pretty much what i thought, like playing in Glorantha is pretty much all a lesson of I Fought We Won.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

It's a cyclical thing. The world has its ups, and it has its downs. Tribes, kingdoms, and empires grow over hundreds of years, and then the sky falls and poo poo goes down once more. You can play a game at the start of the founding of the Kingdom of Sartar, and have hundreds of years to play in before the Hero Wars even comes up. There are hundreds of places and times that don't have to worry about this. But there are also gigantic, End of the Age Catastrophes that come up eventually, big dramatic set-pieces where the players get to take a part in deciding what survives to the next Age, and what gets hosed.
I mean, I agree 100%. It's just that if the entire world is destroyed, there is no decision about "what survives to the next Age, and what gets hosed". It all gets hosed.
I would really love a lore-post about the Hero wars, is what I am saying. In particular what triggers it rather than how it goes down.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean the nice thing about Glorantha is that canonically the world's been destroyed a few times and there are helpful instructions about the (incredibly difficult, terrifying, and not guaranteed) ways you can put it back together scattered through the myths of every culture.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

CarrKnight posted:

I mean, I agree 100%. It's just that if the entire world is destroyed, there is no decision about "what survives to the next Age, and what gets hosed". It all gets hosed.
I would really love a lore-post about the Hero wars, is what I am saying. In particular what triggers it rather than how it goes down.

Oh! I see. No, the part where the entire world is destroyed is transitional, not the end of the story. Everything gets so bad that there's nothing left - everything is gone. Everything. And then, it comes back. Some things are saved, and some things are gone forever, and the world has been permanently altered, and that brings us to the transition into the Fourth Age of Glorantha, which we have very little information on, as Greg very much wants it to be unique to any given group who actually wants to get to that point.

The Battle of Heroes, AKA The New Hero Age or the Hero Wars, is a cataclysmic magical event that has been foretold by nearly every single culture in Glorantha. It's been prophesied since the time of the God Learners, at least five hundred years ago, and I believe one of Arkat's companions dreamed of it, a thousand years ago. In short, it's the culmination of dozens of different individual conflicts between nations and empires, which will all come to a head at the same time. The Kingdom of Sartar vs. The Lunar Empire, Loskalm vs. The Kingdom of War, Seshnela vs. Ralios, the Dwarfs and Vadeli vs. Umathela, and so on and so forth. Each of these conflicts will involve great heroes, demigods, immortal beings from the Gods Age, and the eventual violation of the Cosmic Compromise itself, which allows both the gods and the forces of Chaos to get involved in the all-out war that results. The Elder Races, the Elfs and Dwarfs and Trolls especially, all begin to enact their plans to restore themselves to supremacy.

What starts it off is arguable. There are some who think that the ancient giant Gonn Orta, who's been seeking someone for centuries, will eventually find them - and that this will start the Hero Wars. In Loskalm, the Hero Wars probably begins in earnest when the warrior-wizards begin using forbidden God Learner techniques to defeat their enemy. In Ralios, their ancient king Arkat will be returned to the world, but instead several different Arkats will be summoned, some based on one of his cults and some being completely new. In Jonatela, the last country under the Syndic's Ban will finally be released into the rest of the world, and an army of initiates to the Storm Bull, Humakt, Orlanth, and even worse war gods will pour out, led by Bull Chieftains. In the far West, the Elfs have been secretly planting thousands of seeds. When they perform a ritual to make them all grow at once, they'll march across the land, re-conquering it. In Kralorela, the true dragons awaken. In an event that makes everyone flip the gently caress out, the immortal Brithini atheists begin to reproduce again.

And in Sartar, great heroes led by Kallyr Starbrow stop an endless winter caused by the local deaths of Orlanth and Ernalda. They return Voria, goddess of spring, from the underworld. At the same time, High King Broyan wins the first decisive victory against the Lunar Empire in an alliance of Men and Trolls, and is poised to begin a decades-long war against them. The Hero Wars begin.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

rkajdi posted:

Has anyone ever done a decent set of conversions for Glorantha to 4E D&D? I always liked the setting, but Heroquest is too abstract for the group I play with, and Runequest itself always seemed too finicky--never tried the newer versions, only the Chaosium/BRP version.

Nobody replied to this, so I guess I might give some suggestions.

Now, for starters - are you really sure you want to run Glorantha in 4th edition? Because it seems more or less the worst possible choice of a system for the setting. I know this seems kind of condescending, seeing as how you specifically asked about it, but you should really think about using something else.

But if you are hellbent on 4E, then I'd say you break things down like this:
* Races should be Human, Troll, Elf, maybe Dwarf. If your group is into it you might do a write up of Ducks and Newtlings, maybe Morokanths. Dragonewts just can't really be made playable without altering them beyond belief, because loving Dragons, Man!
* Each race will have a small bonus you can chose, depending on cultural backgrounds, which is picked at character creation and doesn't change. Like Praxians have a bonus to their Fortitude save, Heortlings to their Will save, and so on. Same for elves, trolls and dwarves (with the Mostali you might have players pick what kind of a Heresy the dwarf is doing, to even be part of an adventuring party. Openhandism and Individualism are the most obvious ones)
* Classes are out. Instead you have your choice between several Cults, Schools and Traditions, depending on what magic source you want the character to have (I'm skipping mysticism, because gently caress that). Those will act as the character's class for the purposes of At Will, Encounter and Daily powers. Depending on how action-y and dungeoncrawl-ing you want this to be, obvious cults to write would be, for example, Yanafal Tarnils, Orlanth, Humakt, Odyla, Shargash, Lhankor Mhy, Issaries, Etyries, Babeester Gor, Chalana Arroy (because you need that healer) and so on. This will require massive research on your part, obviously, and a lot of work to make up enough varied and interesting powers for these cults. I am not familiar enough with spirit societies or wizardry schools, but those would be the same thing. (Keeping in mind that a lot of wizardy schools are practiced by warriors, not geek-in-robes wizards like you have in D&D).

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

BryanChavez posted:

Oh, sure. None of these things have actually happened. They may not. They're all things that will happen, though, unless Your Own Glorantha doesn't see them come to pass for whatever reason, whether that's due to player character intervention or the GM's choice that they want something else to happen instead. To be a Westerner about it, I'm talking about the Ideal Platonic Form of Glorantha, whereas in reality, we're dealing with thousands of different variations of that form that will invariably deviate from it in one way or another. Even Jeff Richard's game deviates from Greg Stafford's writings.

That's one of the glorious things about Glorantha. Every different campaign is a new myth that has always existed. Every different version is What Really Happened, especially the ones that contradict each other. Just like every game of KoDP is an accurate telling of the creation of Sartar.

I have no lore to add, I just think it's cool how the setting embraces that there's many different ways things can go down, and they don't cause problems with each other or the world.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I guess the Hero Wars is less of "everything broke" and more of "the world is going to be shattered, and so thoroughly that nobody knows what it'd look like after they pick up the pieces and stick them back together".

Jenx posted:

Now, for starters - are you really sure you want to run Glorantha in 4th edition? Because it seems more or less the worst possible choice of a system for the setting. I know this seems kind of condescending, seeing as how you specifically asked about it, but you should really think about using something else.

Likewise, a semi-freeform/narrative type game like FATE works well because what your runes and spells do is defined in a broad narrative sense rather than as discrete powers. Little role protection exists, as far as I can tell there aren't really defined combat roles for each cult at all, as an Orlanth follower may be hurling lightning at range one moment, and engaging in swordplay the next. The same goes for recovery, pacing and power acquisition, you restore your miracles and learn new ones by visiting holy places and the like, rather than through rest. So the game tempo is spread more across a season of play than daily episodes.

Might be more feasible in 3.X, since the older D&Ds have a looser structure you can stuff all the varied capabilities into. It'd still be kind of a clunky fit though.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

veekie posted:

Likewise, a semi-freeform/narrative type game like FATE works well because what your runes and spells do is defined in a broad narrative sense rather than as discrete powers. Little role protection exists, as far as I can tell there aren't really defined combat roles for each cult at all, as an Orlanth follower may be hurling lightning at range one moment, and engaging in swordplay the next. The same goes for recovery, pacing and power acquisition, you restore your miracles and learn new ones by visiting holy places and the like, rather than through rest. So the game tempo is spread more across a season of play than daily episodes.

Might be more feasible in 3.X, since the older D&Ds have a looser structure you can stuff all the varied capabilities into. It'd still be kind of a clunky fit though.

Yeah, FATE/FAE is really good for Glorantha. If you insisted on doing it in 3.x, it'd be an interesting exercise in running a Gestalt game where everyone is a Cleric/Wizard with the appropriate Domains/Spells for their cult or sect, along with being whichever class they'd be otherwise. That'd be the easiest way I can see of doing it. You're dealing with Fighters who have Slay Living and Power Word: Kill, Barbarians with Chain Lightning and Whirlwind, Rogues who can cast Invisibility and Confusion, etc. I can't even imagine the total conversion you'd need for 4e.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
A set of spell like abilities and special actions tied to Affliations with a cult might work. Your class defines your primary mode of play, with the cult specials elaborating on that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just make a bajillion powers like every other 4e conversion, it's not like you use the rest of the system.

If i were to convert it into a new system, i'd use AW, since i do that for everything and it's what my group would most be into. Or DitV.

cabman567
Aug 15, 2010

BryanChavez posted:

In an event that makes everyone flip the gently caress out, the immortal Brithini atheists begin to reproduce again.

What's the context behind this? Why would people freak out when they learn this and are there any explanations for why they would do it?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Tulip posted:

Just make a bajillion powers like every other 4e conversion, it's not like you use the rest of the system.

If i were to convert it into a new system, i'd use AW, since i do that for everything and it's what my group would most be into. Or DitV.

4e could work for a rune lords campaign. Run encounter powers as spirit magic and daily powers as rune magic, and write powers for specific characters. If you really want to get fancy, adopt a spell-point system for the encounter powers or rework the psionic rules and play sorcerers.

As a setting, Glorantha will work with lots of RP systems; it just demands a lot of work.

More on Glorantha Fate-Core on Wednesday.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

cabman567 posted:

What's the context behind this? Why would people freak out when they learn this and are there any explanations for why they would do it?

These guys are some of the biggest, baddest motherfuckers on the face of the planet, led by I, Zzabur, who took on the God-Learners and won. Among a host of other accomplishments. Each one is either one of the most accomplished wizards to have ever lived or has had a fuckton of spells cast on them by said accomplished wizards. They're all immortal and the only limit on their power has been that they're apparently pretty happy to just chill on the island they live on and they don't reproduce, so their numbers are pretty small and have stayed that way for thousands of years.

Now they're having babies!

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Yes, exactly. A bit more on the Brithini.

Ancient Brithos is now lost, having disappeared when the God Learners were annihilated. It's assumed that they were destroyed by the Closing (optimists), or that Zzabur led the other Wizards to send the island somewhere else (realists). There are also Brithini outposts in Sogolotha and Refuge, within Seshnela and God Forgot respectively. 'The Brithini are having babies' is an old saying that indicates that poo poo is about to go down, because whenever they've done so in the past, catastrophes happened very soon after.

Before birth even happens, dozens of ceremonies and rituals are performed on the mother. When the child is born, they're already stronger, faster, tougher, and generally better than any other human can be. They've also been warded against hundreds of different things that might harm them throughout their life. These spells will be bolstered with many, many more throughout their lifetime, depending on their caste. Spells that make someone tireless, ones that empower their weapons with Death, or let them plow five fields in the time it would usually take to plow one. Now consider that most Brithini haven't just been born, but are over a thousand years old, and have been becoming more experienced and empowered with magic throughout that entire period, and you can grasp why the idea of them preparing for something is so terrifying. As for what they're preparing for: a war that they cannot possibly avoid.

One of the most frightening spell in their repertoire, which terrifies both the Brithini and the people they use it against, is the Spell Forbidden By Urostio. It can transform any Brithini workers on which it's cast into a horde of ravening, unstoppable killers. After the spell is successfully cast, the Ruler who ordered its use, the Wizard who performed the ritual, and the Workers it was cast on are doomed to die a slow death of old age. Not only are they immortal, but the Brithini deny an afterlife, so this spell is seen as a horrifying last resort.

As an odd note, as possibly the most traditional and conservative 'Westerners' in the world, they're notably less sexist than, say, the Seshnegi. All women are in theory a part of a unique Merena caste, but most are practically assigned to one of the four other castes. The majority are Workers, but there's nothing stopping a woman from being a Warrior, Wizard, or Ruler. They'll find that their opportunities are impeded by a glass ceiling (which the Brithini heartily deny, as another example of the West having a lot of influences from modern America), but that's still a fairly good deal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'd think part of the fear is that "Brithni are having babies" means that maybe the Vadeli can do that too.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jenx posted:

Honestly, yea, that's what I want to run. Unless there's another system that's designed to run a similar style of game with the obvious math and low level of behind the screen stuff-- so 3.5 wouldn't work because it tries to be symmetrical between NPCs/Monsters and PCs and thus is just too complex to really use. The old Runequest (Chaosium/Avalon Hill) rules are just lolbad in that there's zero work on keeping characters even, and basically no guidelines on how to choose appropriate challenges. New Runequest (Mongoose) might be better about this, but I'd want to know if it explicitly designed before I blew cash on it. I played those games back in the day, but anymore they come across as poorly thought out. Heroquest, and FATE as suggested afterwards, are cool by me but the other guys I play with want to play more of a straightforward RPG and not something as abstract.

quote:

* Classes are out. Instead you have your choice between several Cults, Schools and Traditions, depending on what magic source you want the character to have (I'm skipping mysticism, because gently caress that). Those will act as the character's class for the purposes of At Will, Encounter and Daily powers. Depending on how action-y and dungeoncrawl-ing you want this to be, obvious cults to write would be, for example, Yanafal Tarnils, Orlanth, Humakt, Odyla, Shargash, Lhankor Mhy, Issaries, Etyries, Babeester Gor, Chalana Arroy (because you need that healer) and so on. This will require massive research on your part, obviously, and a lot of work to make up enough varied and interesting powers for these cults. I am not familiar enough with spirit societies or wizardry schools, but those would be the same thing. (Keeping in mind that a lot of wizardy schools are practiced by warriors, not geek-in-robes wizards like you have in D&D).

I was honestly hoping something could be easily fit in, ala Earthdawn, since both settings seem predicated on the whole "magic is commonplace" idea. Unfortunately it seems like this wouldn't work well here. I was just hoping to get enough player stuff together to run a game in a single culture, since the stuff on the other side of the screen is scaled based on what the PCs are capable of.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Well, I mean, don't listen to us about this poo poo, it doesn't have to be that hard at all. Running Glorantha in D&D 4e can be as easy as reskinning a Shifter Ranger into being an Odaylan Hunter, or making a Barbarian with properly-selected Rages into a Devotee of Orlanth the Wild. A Cleric with Pacifist Healer is already going to look a lot like an Arroyan, and a Humakti can be played as a Battlerager Fighter, or an Avenger, or even a Paladin or Warlord (there are definitely Orlanth initiates that are Warlords, too). There's nothing wrong with any of that. It'd probably work very well. You'd just need to play very fast and loose with how the races and classes are treated in the narrative.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
4e works perfectly, just have your players rename EVERYTHING. Powers? Rename them. Race? Rename it, maybe to their god (Orlanthi, Ernaldan, etc.) Class? Rename it. Reskin the hell out of it then break out the minis and have a blast.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
More on Glorantha Fate Core:

Handling magic the easy way
The hard way will require lots of individual posts, so I'll probably just offer some advice on converting Gloranthan magic to Fate Core magic when the time comes. But let's talk about some easy ways to approach magic.

Option 1: Aspect abstraction. Simply use magic as an explanation for use of aspects like "Charismatic Berserk" or "Orlanthi Adventurer." Those familiar with the setting can deploy comfortable terms where they make sense. For example, spend a fate point on Orlanthi Adventurer and hit that Lunar with a Bladesharped weapon, or succeed at cost against a dragonsnail by going berserk. Rune-level magic requires a rune point; hero-level magic a hero point.
Drawbacks: Makes invocation of these magic-associated aspects easy and frequent; players less familiar with the setting are left out.

Option 2: Character-specific options. Each character receives a new stress track, Magic. Characters with no aspects relating to magic have 1 and 2 stress boxes. Characters with at least one aspect relating to magic have a 3 stress box as well. Characters with a runic affinity/rune-level aspect or better have a 4 stress box. Stress can be recovered with adequate rest (either a full scene or a night's sleep depending upon how you want to handle things).
Characters may learn or otherwise acquire spells. Each spell should be named and its effects are treated as a temporary stunt, which either lasts for one use or for a single scene. Casting a spell requires a roll against a set difficulty using a skill appropriate to the character's source(s) of power. A sorcerer might use Lore, a shaman Will, a Barntar worshiper Athletics and an Issaries Resources. Bladesharp might grant a Weapon:1 bonus to a character for a scene, while Heal allows a character to begin recovering from a physical consequence.
Rune-level magic could then be treated the same way, using the same stress track, for a character who would logically have access. Each spell would operate like a temporary power, not a temporary stunt.
Hero-level magic should remain powered by hero points, unless a specific ability makes sense to be "always on" in which case it should be treated as a power.
I recommend limiting spells to a number equal to your game's refresh level, purely to reduce complexity of play.
This system works well to introduce new players to Gloranthan magic and trades flexibility for specificity and characterization.
Drawbacks: Requires a fair amount of additional work. Models personally-affecting magic well but attack magic less well. Ties spirit magic to specific character skills.

Option 3: Design individual spells. This is the hard way. On the plus side, there's a lot of material to draw on. I'd be strongly tempted to do something like writing out how a given divine spell works on a card, handing it to a player granted the spell and then taking the card back if it's one-use.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Is there a list somewhere of the spells? I keep seeing common ones mentioned, but nothing solid.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

I'm really liking the Fare Core hack. It looks pretty solid for people who want more mechanical oomph to FATE Glorantha.

veekie posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the spells? I keep seeing common ones mentioned, but nothing solid.

I'm sure you'd find them in some of the old Runequest books, and probably the new one as well. Bladesharp is the old standby, which shows up pretty much everywhere.

In other news, we now have an idea of what's going into one of the upcoming books, Belintar's Book (AKA The Gods of Glorantha): http://www.glorantha.com/working-on-the-gods-of-glorantha/

It'll be both a guide on forty or so of the most important cults of Glorantha, as well as being a detailed account of the key Monomyth of Glorantha at the same time.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 14, 2013

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

BryanChavez posted:

In other news, we now have an idea of what's going into one of the upcoming books, Belintar's Book (AKA The Gods of Glorantha): http://www.glorantha.com/working-on-the-gods-of-glorantha/

It'll be both a guide on forty or so of the most important cults of Glorantha, as well as being a detailed account of the key Monomyth of Glorantha at the same time.

This sounds really exciting, but good god, the comments on the announcement are terrible, so much competing for the shiniest no-prize for best Glorantha Grognard.

It makes me feel for Jeff, especially after the Gen-Con panels where he wants to talk about the LITERARY Glorantha and its inspirations, and people just want to pick on small inconsistencies or unanswered questions, that have been left unanswered because it makes better goddamn setting for stories, rather than a simulation complete world.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
Bad King Urgrain killed a spirit-talker who told him the shades were unhappy with his rule. Then he came down with the gout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Eh, because I don't have anything better to do and nowhere else to post this, here is the seven members of the Community Study Group as the seven Light Bringers, which I thought up after reading how heavily Dan Harmon is into the monomyth.

Jeff - Orlanth
Pierce - Eurmal
Abed - Lhankor Mhy
Shirley - Chalana Arroy
Troy - Elmal (Flesh Man?)
Annie - Issaries
Britta - Ginna Jar?

• Locked thread