Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I'm loving the HEALTH album.

its cum metal now, also don't sleep on Johnny
Alternatively, it's sad music for horny people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
For a more serious answer, I think the band definitely lost something when Jupiter left, but Johnny is just as responsible for the electronics on HEALTH since the beginning too. I personally enjoy the music style changes they go through with each album as well. There was a strong visceral reaction from older fans and adjacent fans when they went more pop on Death Magic.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

For a more serious answer, I think the band definitely lost something when Jupiter left, but Johnny is just as responsible for the electronics on HEALTH since the beginning too. I personally enjoy the music style changes they go through with each album as well. There was a strong visceral reaction from older fans and adjacent fans when they went more pop on Death Magic.

Yeah, Johnny is a great character and I think he adds a lot as the public face of the band. I texted him on the number they put out there way back when just to say I appreciate their music.

HEALTH was my favorite band for probably close to a decade and for a while I really had no idea who did what (other than the drumming and singing I guess), but in the years after death magic before they announced that Jupiter had left the band I was already wondering what had happened to them; the new songs they were putting out sounded so flat compared to their S/T, Get Color, or Death Magic. Like, Feel Nothing seems like it was their last attempt at a catchy single but it sounds so one-dimensional after bangers like Die Slow or Stonefist or USA Boys.

Even without Jupiter I think they're still capable of putting together the occasional jam like Isn't Everyone or Hateful, but I miss the way Jupiter's production made their music pop and his synth work that contrasted with the darker elements - it doesn't seem like the band as currently constituted is capable of making something like their High Pressure Days cover. Three amazing albums is more than you could ask of most bands though imo and it's cool that they've carved out this niche, so more power to the remaining three I guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Yeah, Johnny is a great character and I think he adds a lot as the public face of the band. I texted him on the number they put out there way back when just to say I appreciate their music.

HEALTH was my favorite band for probably close to a decade and for a while I really had no idea who did what (other than the drumming and singing I guess), but in the years after death magic before they announced that Jupiter had left the band I was already wondering what had happened to them; the new songs they were putting out sounded so flat compared to their S/T, Get Color, or Death Magic. Like, Feel Nothing seems like it was their last attempt at a catchy single but it sounds so one-dimensional after bangers like Die Slow or Stonefist or USA Boys.

Even without Jupiter I think they're still capable of putting together the occasional jam like Isn't Everyone or Hateful, but I miss the way Jupiter's production made their music pop and his synth work that contrasted with the darker elements - it doesn't seem like the band as currently constituted is capable of making something like their High Pressure Days cover. Three amazing albums is more than you could ask of most bands though imo and it's cool that they've carved out this niche, so more power to the remaining three I guess.
I listened to the S/T and Get Color today and I think there's a couple songs I really like between both of those. I'm so glad their music evolved into what it has, because if it all sounded like those two records, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in them.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

hbxli posted:

it's beginning to look a lot like fistfuck!

i made a nin christmas album because of course i did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37HIOMhXok

late to this, but holy poo poo is wish an absolute masterpiece

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1734377146334736872

At least Trent and Atticus' score for this is still on streaming services :shepicide:

hbxli
Aug 4, 2004

BABIES... THEY'RE BABIES

CaptainViolence posted:

late to this, but holy poo poo is wish an absolute masterpiece

thank you for the kind words, as i was making this there was a lot of uncertainty like "this is either the greatest or the worst thing ever" with no in between haha

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
HEALTH kicked rear end live, tiny loving venue (250 capacity) with no barrier, and John came off the stage at the end to say hello and pose for selfies/sign set lists. BJ also came to hang out so it had the vibe of seeing your town's local band playing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Carpet posted:

HEALTH kicked rear end live, tiny loving venue (250 capacity) with no barrier, and John came off the stage at the end to say hello and pose for selfies/sign set lists. BJ also came to hang out so it had the vibe of seeing your town's local band playing.

That's so dope! Though looking at that setlist, are they not playing TEARS anymore or did they just not play it that night? If they've retired it, I'm so glad I got to see them play it a couple times live.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
No idea, but it was an album launch show so they were only on stage for an hour with no encore. They did use the Neon Genesis Evangelion theme as their intro music though which got people dancing.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm so upset that they have an option for AUD on their merch store, but shipping for a single vinyl record is $60

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Rad set but I'm surprised there's no Die Slow. That song ripped live when I saw them ages ago and kind of used to be their big hit.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

obviously their typical setlist is gonna be different with a new album out, but it’d be weird for tears and die slow to fall off their normal set, they’ve been staples forever!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ixi's going live in half an hour with a piano tutorial of You Made It Feel Like Home from Trent and Atticus' Bones and All score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqz4_JNMVRw

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I know the 10th anniversary of hesitation marks passed a few months ago, but I'm listening through it today and reminiscing a bit. drat, what a good-rear end album!

All Time Low is so loving funky, and it was so cool to hear live with the backing vocalists on that tour.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sai-kun posted:

I know the 10th anniversary of hesitation marks passed a few months ago, but I'm listening through it today and reminiscing a bit. drat, what a good-rear end album!

All Time Low is so loving funky, and it was so cool to hear live with the backing vocalists on that tour.
I know the Tension tour was filmed and I still wish it had gotten a proper Blu-Ray release (it was planned but never ended up happening), but at least that Vevo Presents set from that tour is on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC3NXnN8y4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can y'all believe that Not the Actual Events is 7 years old today? :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8YYdbsm1Q

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic posted:

Can y'all believe that Not the Actual Events is 7 years old today? :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8YYdbsm1Q

Still love this EP, it seemed to get a mixed reception but I dunno why. It's top tier for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Still love this EP, it seemed to get a mixed reception but I dunno why. It's top tier for me.
:same:

There's not a song on there that I feel "meh" about. They're all incredible. I'm thankful I got to see Branches/Bones live the last time I saw NIN.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

IUG posted:

Oof, that second album cover is a click deterrent.

Wait’ll you hear about HEALTH.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm watching the live tour, And All That Could Have Been. banger. that's all.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1745607946195857802

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Kings

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are they going to have a song in Death Stranding 2? That would kick rear end

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rageaholic posted:

Are they going to have a song in Death Stranding 2? That would kick rear end

The Low Roar soundtrack for DS1 was great, but imagining a NIN ambient for it and holy poo poo

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Trent walked out to Came Back Haunted to announce OD so I'm guessing they're maybe doing something for that?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

gently caress yesssss

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Also Kojima is kind of famous on Twitter (and, I mean, for other reasons too) for just randomly and matter-of-factly posting about whatever movie he is watching. And he also recently posted photos of himself with Jordan Peele, Guillermo del Toro and others. So it's anyone's guess whether it means anything.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Also Kojima is kind of famous on Twitter (and, I mean, for other reasons too) for just randomly and matter-of-factly posting about whatever movie he is watching. And he also recently posted photos of himself with Jordan Peele, Guillermo del Toro and others. So it's anyone's guess whether it means anything.

He’s literally making a game with Jordan Peele. And anytime he has anyone at the office he scans them lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kojima+Jordan Peele+Trent Atticus

Rumored also involved in OD

Junji Ito
Del Toro

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Kojima really wants a Oscar, doesn't he?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Kojima+Jordan Peele+Trent Atticus

Rumored also involved in OD

Junji Ito
Del Toro
Ari Aster is rumored too

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Island Nation posted:

Kojima really wants a Oscar, doesn't he?

This is how they get the Tony.

'Metal Gear! A weapon to surpass Metal Gear! Meeeeeeeh! Taaaaaaaaaal! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaar!'

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Springtime for the Patriots.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Since this is basically the HEALTH thread too, they covered Deftones' Be Quiet And Drive for Spotify. It owns.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2SprbOeFdglaLgZoCcytuu?si=z7r__EwmT36NduOoNEuSmg&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A6jAdEVjL2cnwhhywkdmIzr

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dammit I love Deftones and HEALTH but hate Spotify :sigh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Since this is basically the HEALTH thread too, they covered Deftones' Be Quiet And Drive for Spotify. It owns.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2SprbOeFdglaLgZoCcytuu?si=z7r__EwmT36NduOoNEuSmg&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A6jAdEVjL2cnwhhywkdmIzr

This rules.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Coming up on 30th anniversary of TDS. Think they'll do anything cool? Planning on at least listening to the vinyl on the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caseman posted:

Coming up on 30th anniversary of TDS. Think they'll do anything cool? Planning on at least listening to the vinyl on the day.
Hopefully. The 30th anniversary of the March of the Pigs single was a couple days ago (on the 25th) and they posted about it, though the post only said that the track was released 30 years ago. It didn't indicate anything more coming for the 30th anniversary of the album.