Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Carpet posted:

There's also a GQ track breakdown video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BqJNEV9QVE
Man, those first couple Trent/Atticus film scores were so incredible. I like all their scores, don't get me wrong. But when they were just starting out composing stuff together? Oh man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I saw Hans Zimmer do a live show and I saw Ramon Djawadi do performance of game of thrones and both experiences are unforgettable

If Trent and Atticus do that I will fly anywhere in US for it

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

No stage show? Gonna be hard to get that EGOT at this point, unless the are cool with a EGOCMA

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
From that video, apparently Luca Guadagnino got them on board for Challengers by sending them an email saying "it's SUPER SEXXXY".

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Trent is so funny lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Robert Facepalmer posted:

No stage show? Gonna be hard to get that EGOT at this point, unless the are cool with a EGOCMA

The Downward Spiral would make for a... some sort of broadway show.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

'i hurt myself... TOOOOO-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!(big finish, close curtains)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They should get Jonathan Groff to play young Trent
I just saw him in a show and that motherfucker has some intense stage presence

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I saw Hans Zimmer do a live show and I saw Ramon Djawadi do performance of game of thrones and both experiences are unforgettable

If Trent and Atticus do that I will fly anywhere in US for it

Same. Hans Zimmer in concert brought tears to my eyes, he was on that tour because he loves that music and I would love to experience that with Trent/Atticus

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Photex posted:

Same. Hans Zimmer in concert brought tears to my eyes, he was on that tour because he loves that music and I would love to experience that with Trent/Atticus

Hearing the piano Time from inception had me to tears

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trent is that rare dude who seems to get even cooler as he ages.. drat what a legend

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Trent is so funny lol

"The character of Zuckerberg... do I know what it's like to care about something so deeply that you treat everyone like an rear end in a top hat and wonder in the end if it's all worth it? I mean, I see it every day with Atticus so yeah."

Lmao Trent rules.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
love these goofballs

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I like Atticus' big daft head. He's like a big loveable dug.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Hurt was in Ring of Fire (Cash jukebox musical) so Trent has a credit on Broadway. I think the Image award from the NAACP is a weirder claim. They might be the only duo with that twofer unless the CMA acknowledge Cowboy Carter.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Did Trent find god as he got older or something? What happened to "God is dead and no one cares"? I know that was 30 years ago, but I didn't know he'd done a 180 and become a believer in that time.

Something in another interview in the past few years also made me briefly think this. Guess it’s always possible

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
There is no contradiction in saying gently caress off to Americanized Christianity/organized religion and believing in something bigger than yourself or spiritual connection to the universe that you refer to as god.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
how easily you all forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRPYtIiVlgs

also

https://nothing.nin.net/int3.html

quote:

Subject: Black Celebration/Flash By Robin Reinhardt Spin Feb. 1990

"People come up to me like I'm this grim, have-a-noose-around-my-neck-at-all-times kind of person. That's not the case at all," says Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor."I'm not the happiest guy in the world. I'm not sure why. But I can't say, "It's because someone stole my bike.""
Trent, a 24-year-old keyboardist from rural PA, dropped out of college in '84, moved to the steel wasteland of Cleveland and took a job as a studio technician to learn music engineering. Though he's a trained classical pianist, he hasn't looked at a piece of sheet music in five years. He didn't want traditional music theory and technique to interfere with Nine Inch Nails' raw, uncalculated debut LP, Pretty Hate Machine. Reshaping '80's mope rock, Trent and producers John Fryer and Flood fuse misery with technology. They take advantage of the massive appeal of the Cure, Depeche Mode and the Smiths(the dead on expression of post-adolescent discontent) and make it danceable. The album ia a collection of dense electronic noise, synthesized beats and powerful laments that wallow in introspection, attack with violent screams and haunt with seductive, droning whispers. The songs - the first Trent's ever written - are fraught with religious references, Trent sometimes putting himself in Christ's place.

"I believe in god," he says. "I was brought up going to Sunday school and church, but it didn't really mean anything. Things upset me a lot. It was just a theme I kept coming back to-religion, guilt and doubting. I believe there's a god but I'm not too sure of his relevance."

On stage, Trent and the touring band he formed in Cleveland are lost in a sea of smoke, leather and skin. Covered in cakey white powder, black lipstick and eyeliner, he moves slowly, provocatively, then erupts into a wild, uninhibited dance, yanking his guitar player around the stage by his ponytail and spitting beer onto the crowd. Unlike his harsh, aggressive music and dramatic stage performance, Trent Reznor-a little over five feet tall with long jet black hair, shaved on both sides, wearing a hoop earing and black combat boots-is, in person, a bit shy, a bit melancholy. "I'm not the cool rock guy who has a motorcycle,"he says. Although, for fun he does ride a mountain bike.

"I was raised by my grandparents, the greatest people in the world," says Trent. "I try to tell them,"You're not going to hear my music on the radio. I'm not going to be on soap operas singing this." I can imagine what my grandfather tells people: "It's called Nine Inch Nails-here's the video. And here he is lying dead at the end of it." I warned my grandfather that the church might be after him."

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I am wondering what the synth version of the Hello Kitty Strat is that they were too embarrassed to be seen using.

I'm not as familiar with that kind of gear, so the only thing I can think of is some clapped out Casio like you would have got for Christmas in 1988 from Radio Shack.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Even Nietzsche wasn't exactly an atheist, he was more just questioning the need for a concept of god in today's society, and also critiquing Christians specifically. The above quote is pretty much in line with that philosophy.

(This is on top of the fact that people do in fact change, and songs aren't necessarily accurate statements of one's beliefs, especially on a concept album like TDS which explicitly ends with the death of its protagonist)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 6, 2024

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Sony Music have released a snippet of music from the score, and oh my. I've also seen a clip from the red carpet premiere which featured another bit of the score which has Trent singing over techno music.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5oIGSfu7aO/?igsh=ZjZsOGJmaXNhbnRl

edit: I tried embedding the video but I guess that doesn't work for Instagram reels

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah this is going to go so much harder than it has to, like Tim Follin scoring NES games levels of "you didn't have to go that hard"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Carpet posted:

Sony Music have released a snippet of music from the score, and oh my. I've also seen a clip from the red carpet premiere which featured another bit of the score which has Trent singing over techno music.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5oIGSfu7aO/?igsh=ZjZsOGJmaXNhbnRl

edit: I tried embedding the video but I guess that doesn't work for Instagram reels
:bisonyes:

I can't wait to hear the whole thing

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Rageaholic posted:

I can't wait to hear the whole thing

Dropped at 12am your time: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2oPQd0fKaUizXC9ctrmvvh

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, mixed by Boys Noize? Oh hell yeah. Those are two (well, 3, considering it's Trent and Atticus) names I never expected to see on the same track.

Is that Mariqueen's voice on Yeah x10?

e: And then Trent's vocals all over Compress/Repress, this owns. What a great score.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I can't believe i'm going to go see a tennis movie in the theater.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Cool stuff. I wonder if there's another version coming eventually that isn't "MIXED" and is maybe longer or something.

Edit: Pitchfork seemingly confirms:

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-and-boys-noize-connect-for-new-challengers-mixed-album-listen/

quote:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross scored the new Luca Guadagnino movie Challengers. For now, the Nine Inch Nails musicians are not releasing their original score. Instead, they’ve shared Boys Noize’s mix of nine songs from the film, made to play like a continuous DJ set. Listen to the new album, fully titled Challengers [Mixed] by Boys Noize, below.

“It’s been a fun challenge to turn this into one fluid experience and take it even further by redesigning the tracks, creating new elements and changing certain parts—especially on ‘Compress / Repress,’ which turns super epic in the end,” Boys Noize said in a press statement. “Working with Trent and Atticus has been a dream come true; they’ve been so great and helpful during the entire process.”

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 12, 2024

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Hell yeah, this is exactly what I want from a NIN techno album. Looking forward to the full release as otherwise 30 minutes is rather short for a full soundtrack. Also, with the Mariqueen vocals it's the closest we're getting to a new HTDA release.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2024

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa that album ruled.

Now I'm listening to The Social Network for the first time and I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This album is incredible

Feels very social networky

hbxli
Aug 4, 2004

BABIES... THEY'RE BABIES
Strobe Light is real

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m listening to Challengers again and I’m liking it more every listen! Yeah x10 invokes LCD real good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Compress/Repress is pure PHM and it owns

Want this release on vinyl please Trent!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I, Butthole posted:

It really owns, I wish Trent would let himself do something that fun on a regular NIN release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, Butthole posted:

Want this release on vinyl please Trent!
This behind the scenes footage of the GQ shoot is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZbPBT8OC4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross with George Lucas and Ken Burns at GQ Creativity Awards.

Photo credit: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross with George Lucas and Ken Burns at GQ Creativity Awards.

Great now I'm thinking about what a John Williams/NIN collaboration would sound like and I'm punching myself in the face.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

goat talk

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Really late to this but watched Ninja Turtles and Reznor and Atticus score was phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It's a lot more low key, but Ross is absolutely killing it with Shogun too.