Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
nine inch nails will be in Europe for 2014.
"The first tour date announcement of #NIN2014 Europe/UK is 3 June in Bologna, Italy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

nine inch nails will be in Europe for 2014.
"The first tour date announcement of #NIN2014 Europe/UK is 3 June in Bologna, Italy"

Support from Cold Cave as well. Just checking them out on youtube and they seem pretty cool. Very 80s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfPaC5cNds

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's also for rhyming. A big reason Nine Inch Nails made it big over other industrial acts (aside from pure talent) is that Trent conformed to verse-chorus-verse which made it really easy to listen, understand and repeat. When you grow up listening to KISS you get at least a little understanding in how important it is to have something people want to repeat.

Yeah, that's true. Trent's adherence to pop structure is definitely a huge factor in the success of NIN.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Anybody else going to Vegas? I'm going to the Friday show.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's also for rhyming. A big reason Nine Inch Nails made it big over other industrial acts (aside from pure talent) is that Trent conformed to verse-chorus-verse which made it really easy to listen, understand and repeat. When you grow up listening to KISS you get at least a little understanding in how important it is to have something people want to repeat.

That's what I've always tried to explain to people. Trent has pop music roots and knows how to write a song. Trent has honestly given me an appreciation for the insane level of production in modern pop songs too, because when you grow up hearing copier machine samples in Reptile or whatever, you start to appreciate the amount of insane layering you can put into a song and still have it sound like a song (rather than the cacophony of some other Industrial-y artists)

Also I just caught up on all the videos in this thread, and those backup singers are still my favorite thing I've ever seen in a NIN show.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
It should be mentioned that it isn't necessarily fair to assume that other industrial artists can't write a decent pop tune. I think that a lot of the initial industrial bands like Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. really wanted to expand outside of the traditional musical forms, continuing traditions from John Cage, Edgard Varèse and other avant-garde musicians, as well as more contemporary musicians like Zappa who were on the weirder and more experimental side. There's no reason to believe that they didn't necessarily have know-how with regards to traditional pop music forms, as well.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr Tran posted:

Anybody else going to Vegas? I'm going to the Friday show.

They didn't have the three screens but the light show was still good. Happy we got I'm Afraid of Americans and All The Love in the World.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

It should be mentioned that it isn't necessarily fair to assume that other industrial artists can't write a decent pop tune. I think that a lot of the initial industrial bands like Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. really wanted to expand outside of the traditional musical forms, continuing traditions from John Cage, Edgard Varèse and other avant-garde musicians, as well as more contemporary musicians like Zappa who were on the weirder and more experimental side. There's no reason to believe that they didn't necessarily have know-how with regards to traditional pop music forms, as well.

Well, it's not like Throbbing Gristle didn't write any pop songs-- Gen in particular wrote more overtly poppy stuff than Trent Reznor has ever attempted when he moved onto PTV.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Dr Tran posted:

They didn't have the three screens but the light show was still good. Happy we got I'm Afraid of Americans and All The Love in the World.

Night two was fairly different, the first part of the setlist was like the Austin City Limits set and we got the songs from Hesitation Marks that they didn't play the night before. My girlfriend got the setlist and it turns out that they had planned to play Only (but didn't).

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Was in Vegas on Friday. Was awesome, second time seeing NIN.

However, as a 32 year old who doesn't understand this what-so-loving-ever, I wanted to kill the retards obnoxiously recording the show on their phones and blocking my view of the stage and basically not enjoying the music just trying to capture some views on YouTube. I've now made it my personal mission to devise some laser device that can be used to remotely disable cell phones that are being held up over someone's head.

Also, the crowd was way less into it than the first time I saw nails like 8 years ago. There was a small pocket of people in the front getting into it (which I eventually pushed myself up to) but beyond that people were barely even registering they were watching Trent Reznor.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

nebby posted:

Also, the crowd was way less into it than the first time I saw nails like 8 years ago. There was a small pocket of people in the front getting into it (which I eventually pushed myself up to) but beyond that people were barely even registering they were watching Trent Reznor.

Pretty much the worst crowd I've ever been in. The couple in front of me showed up at 9:30, talked to each other for an hour, then left after Wish. Most people around me were seated the whole show.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I felt that way when I saw the With Teeth small venue tour, it seems as NIN gets older and expands they are drawing a wider, more laid back audience. The Phoenix stop on this tour was a lot better but I got NIN.com early entry and was right at the front, even then I could hear people grousing about the occasional pits and rowdiness. Maybe in another 10 years I'll start to see it their way but at 33 I still enjoy a crowd that is complete chaos for heavier acts. As with my philosophy with many things, I don't try to start pits at a Ben Folds show so please don't bitch at me for enjoying a little self destructive behavior during heavier acts.

As for the phone thing, I certainly took a few pictures and short videos to post on Facebook for friends that didn't go but I also turned my screen to full dim and don't hold it up there for more than 10-15 seconds, there are ways to do these things and be respectful of those around you. Of course if freeway merging is any indicator most of society doesn't understand this concept.

Edit: By the way, out of the crowd I saw, there were maybe 2-3 folks that looked like crazy goth/industrial type fuckers, it really is dead isn't it? I miss the mid to late 90's.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 18, 2013

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Dr Tran posted:

Pretty much the worst crowd I've ever been in. The couple in front of me showed up at 9:30, talked to each other for an hour, then left after Wish. Most people around me were seated the whole show.

Completely agree. I thought the Saturday crowd was a bit better, but that may just have been where we were standing.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002
Well this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURHgx48AzQ

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

nebby posted:

I wanted to kill the retards obnoxiously recording the show on their phones and blocking my view

Phones?

Consider yourself lucky. More and more of these Darwinian hopefuls are recording with iPads.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Phones?

Consider yourself lucky. More and more of these Darwinian hopefuls are recording with iPads.

I understand/accept that people might like to film a little bit with their phones but using an iPad is ridiculous.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hell, I wouldn't bring a tablet to a concert period. It's inconvenient enough trying to hold a jacket and a bottle of water for 3 hours.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Who is he video chatting at the beginning? The sound quality makes it hard to make out.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mogomra posted:

Who is he video chatting at the beginning? The sound quality makes it hard to make out.
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/last_shot/

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Looks like UK 2014 dates are being announced on the Zane Lowe show tonight, starts at 7pm. Hopefully not arenas this time, unless it is the full Tension show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They announced the following UK dates for May with support by Cold Cave:

quote:

5/18 Birmingham - LG Arena
5/20 Glasgow - The Hydro
5/21 Cardiff - Motorpoiont Arena
5/23 London - The O2
5/24 Nottingham - Capital FM Arena
5/25 Manchester - Phones 4U Arena

The Cleaner posted:

Phones?

This kid that looked like he was about 10 years old was recording part of NIN's performance on his iPad in front of me at the festival where I saw them :ughh:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Hmmm, presale is 9am local time on 11/20 for all the UK shows. Makes it hard for people to go to multiple shows.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Bought The Fragile on vinyl for $30 the day I saw The Fragility tour back in 2000. Got it autographed by Trent after the show that night.
Sold it today for enough to buy a PlayStation 4. Good investment!

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Yeah I don't really care if someone takes a short clip and is enjoying the music while they do. It's the fucks who are systematically trying to capture the whole parts of the show and are standing there like emotionless robots holding a screen over their head and completely distracting the hundreds of people behind them trying to enjoy the show. My favorite was the one dickwad whose camera on his phone had a giant timer that took up a quarter of the screen so we all got to see just how many minutes and seconds of footage he had captured.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Getting more and more hopeful that NIN will be at Coachella.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Speaking of Fragile vinyls, I specifically bought a second one a few years ago to McDonald's up a wall of mine.. but now seeing its value that might not be the smartest move.

Are there any PDFs of the artwork available? I'd much rather print it out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

magiccarpet posted:

Speaking of Fragile vinyls, I specifically bought a second one a few years ago to McDonald's up a wall of mine
I don't remember which NIN thread it was, if it was the last one or the one before that, but does anybody have the McDonald's Fragile tracklist saved? I remember it started with Somewhat Hamaged.

If anyone finds it and posts it, it's going straight to the OP.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
....McDonald's? Please explain.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

....McDonald's? Please explain.
This was spotted at a London McDonald's a few years ago:

Easy
Natural
Fragile

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't remember which NIN thread it was, if it was the last one or the one before that, but does anybody have the McDonald's Fragile tracklist saved? I remember it started with Somewhat Hamaged.

If anyone finds it and posts it, it's going straight to the OP.

That was such good times that I just had to dig it up. It was in the Trent's drunk and, right now, he's so in love with you.. thread from 2010.

Here is the post you're after:

Sir Lemming posted:

I never miss an opportunity to join in on these things.

TOP BUN
Somewhat Hammaged
The Day The McRib Went Away*
The Fries
The Ketchup
We're In This Happy Meal Together
The McFragile*
Just Like You Ordered
Even Fatter (or: Even Beefier)
Picklegrimage (or: Pil-Grimace)
No, You Don't Deserve A Break Today
La Mayo
The Grease Below

BOTTOM BUN
The Take-Out Is Drive-Thru*
Into the Ballpit
Where Is The Hamburglar?
The Grill Mark Has Been Made
Cheese
Heartcloggers, Inc.
Complications Of The Heart
McI'mLookingForwardToJoiningYouFinally
The Big Mac Come Down*
Tender Beef It All
Ripe (With Fries)

*stolen because I can't think of anything better

I can't wait for the Super-Sized Edition to come out.

And here's the page where the NinDonalds thing happened

Same thread also brought us the baby versions of songs which are still the best things these threads have ever produced :colbert:

edit: I also really liked the time the thread briefly turned into a 1990s usenet thread

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 19, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thank you so much!

So many of those titles are golden :allears:

Added to the OP!

One of these days, I really need to get archives so I can reread those baby versions. I remember those being hilarious.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

And here's the page where the NinDonalds thing happened

Same thread also brought us the baby versions of songs which are still the best things these threads have ever produced :colbert:

edit: I also really liked the time the thread briefly turned into a 1990s usenet thread

Haha! Memory lane!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Got a standing ticket for the London date this morning. £10 in service fees is insane though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All the 2014 European tour dates were announced. It's not just a UK tour anymore! These were all added to the OP already.

quote:

UK/Europe with Cold Cave in May/June:

5/6 Riga, Latvia - Arena Riga
5/8 Helsinki, Finland - Hartwell Arena
5/10 Stockholm, Sweden - Hovet
5/12 Oslo, Norway - Spektrum
5/13 Copenhagen, Denmark - Forum
5/15 Berlin, Germany - Zitadelle
5/16 Luxembourg - Rockhal
5/18 Birmingham, UK - LG Arena
5/20 Glasgow, UK - The Hydro
5/21 Cardiff, UK - Motorpoiont Arena
5/23 London, UK - The O2
5/24 Nottingham, UK - Capital FM Arena
5/25 Manchester, UK - Phones 4U Arena
5/27 Amsterdam, Holland - Heineken Music Hall
5/28 Antwerp, Belgium - Lotto Arena
5/29 Paris, France - Le Zenith
6/3 Bologna, Italy - Unipol Arena
6/4 Zurich, Switzerland - Hallenstadion
6/9 Vienna, Austria - Stadthalle
6/10 Katowice, Poland - Spodek
6/13 St. Petersburg, Russia - Ice Palace
6/15 Moscow, Russia - Crocus Hall
6/17 Kiev, Ukraine - Stereoplaza
6/19 Budapest, Hungary - Budapest Arena
6/20 Prague, Czech Republic - O2 Arena

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

loving hell they're doing Helsinki :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

grimdarkkrieg
May 12, 2009

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

loving hell they're doing Helsinki :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

Hell loving yes! Man, almost seven years since the last time, this is going to happen!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Guess I'll have to get tickets to either Riga or Helsinki if they aren't coming to Tallinn. Cool anyway!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

For sure. I was trying to explain it simply. Trent was pretty much to Industrial what Metallica was to Speed Metal. Maybe even less because Trent always seemed to try separating himself from it while also being active signing artists to Nothing or the 1,000 Homo DJs stuff.

It's not so much that people couldn't do it but more they didn't do it. Nine Inch Nails was industrial enough to be alternative but was also pop enough to be enjoyed by those who weren't versed in industrial. Polish and simple lyrics were a big part of it. Marilyn Manson was going even further in the polish, which is why he was a more popular artist in a lot of ways but didn't have the staying power.

It's just for me, I kinda let out a sigh when people bitch about Trent's lyrics. Yes they can be pretty awful and LiveJournal-ish at times but there's a reason why that's catchy and a lot of "good lyrics" are not. He isn't trying to write Cohen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Heading over to the Vancouver show tonight at Rogers Arena. Got general floor tickets. Any fellow BC Goons going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The Portland show was great on monday--I'd never seen them live before despite being a big fan back in the day. My interest in NIN waned after feeling a little disappointed in With Teeth, but the show has rekindled my interest. I'm really digging Hesitation Marks, and I still need to give The Slip, Year Zero, and Ghosts a fair listen. Also, did Trent start taking Paxil or something? How the hell has he released so much material in the last 5-6 years?

Explosions in the Sky were good, but I can't help finding myself a little bored with Post Rock these days. I used to listen to Mogwai, GYBE, and Explosions quite a bit, but it all feels so predictable now.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 21, 2013