Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

I like those.

I'm not sure what it says about me that most of the time someone says something that annoys them about a particular NIN song, I almost never have any idea what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

roboshit posted:

I can understand why people think Trent's lyrics are bad even if they don't bother me.

okay, that's the one thing I get. His lyrics are awful, but I'm also someone who kind of ignores lyrics so it's never been an issue for me but even then I still get it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That cover could be worse but I still found it to be pretty painful. All the changes just made it less interesting and that dudes voice didn't really do that song any favors. I've never heard that guys actual band so I'm not making any judgements based on that there's nothing in that cover that really makes if worth listening to.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

Does he even have the say over that, or does the record company? I mean, obviously he has the final say over stuff from The Slip, etc, but things released through a major label?

I think he has a say. Otherwise his songs would be in other ads and he is pretty much against that poo poo. I think he doesn't mind movie ads because he likes movies and doesn't mind his songs being associated with them like he would some other random product.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

Guardians is going to be so left field, it's going to be great. The fact the "sexy" character is the one that will probably be doing the most rear end kicking out of them all.

I'm really curious to know if he's into comics too, this is the second Marvel trailer he has featured on.

You also have to remember that 300 is based on a comic and I think the reason he probably agreed to be in the trailer for the lovely looking sequel is because the original trailer that also featured a NIN song was pretty iconic at the time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

Easy money that's for sure. He has had music in some awful movie trailers as well, but when it's a good movie and NIN is playing I feel proud. Haha

I know that a NIN song playing during the end credits of Cabin in the Woods was just the kicker that made that movie all the more awesome for me (kind of like Sinister prominently featuring my favorite Boards of Canada song).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...Wasn't the 8th of February 16 Days ago?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would you even lie about that?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

welp looks like i'm seeing NIN again in Mansfield.

Hopefully you will not end up behind me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am kind of annoyed that the presale is happening so quickly, because I have plans when that's going on I doubt I'm gonna make it back in time, but still, if this is anything like last time, tickets aren't going to be very hard to get.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The seats I'm getting aren't great. I might just wait to the normal sale.

Also these are the worst captchas I've ever seen.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:sigh: gently caress this noise. Definitely gonna try my luck during the normal sale. Hopefully get something nice and centered.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God damnit, I just got some okay seats but I realized the service fee was per ticket! So for a seat that's in the the second section back it's loving $90 a ticket??? I mean last time it was the full NIN show but this time we're probably getting a shorter set and stripped down show and last time my seats were way better.

I'm probably gonna pull the trigger anyways but god damnit...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I pulled the trigger because I'm dumb and also because my friend who I go with is a huge Soundgarden fan who has never seen them live.

If anyone wants to avoid being behind me I'm in Row Q of Section 5.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

roboshit posted:

I told myself, naah, I'll still be able to get pre-sale tickets for Austin at 5pm, I don't need to wake up at noon. :sigh:

So are these tickets like more expensive than Tension was? And it's minimal production and you have to listen to Soundgarden?

Yeah, I honestly can't see this tour as being remotely worth it unless you want to see Soundgarden or you just need to see NIN on every tour.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It took me so long to figure out even what the Pono was because of all the eyerollingly awful videos of people just assuring me that it would sound better and how mp3s are destroying music as we know it. From what I can tell it's just a really ugly player that emphasizes lossless formats and has a light that tells you when you're using one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In the kickstarter video they have one guy saying that it's like having a record player in your car and that pretty much speaks to the type of people that this is for (if that wasn't enough there's also the part where they explain that you can get good audio out of it no matter what but it's better if you have more expensive cables).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never really got the praise for the Deadmau5 Ice Age remix. It always struck me as a remix that just didn't add that much and just kind of took away the subtle beauty of the song and just made it glitchier...actually now that I type that out I guess I do guess why people like it but it has more to do with HTDA not being NIN enough and less to do with how interesting of a remix it is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Holy moly. NIN needs to play that track to the audience immediately before starting a show. With no explanation whatsoever afterwards.

"You wanted to see Perfect Drug in a live venue??? Here's your loving Perfect Drug!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, now I'm really mad I'm not getting DEP.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well it's not like he can actually be duller than Sigur Ros :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Update: NIN are still awesome live. The opener whose name I'm not going to bother to try to remember were odd. He wasn't bad but it wasn't music that gained a single thing from being played live.

Soundgarden kind of sucked. Cornel just doesn't seem to be putting any effort into his singing at all and holy poo poo they were just kind of too loud.

NIN still ruled. The setlist didn't have many surprises but the visuals were awesome and Trent sounded great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm at the Houston show now, waiting for it to start. Got a spot at the very front of the lawn so I have a pretty decent view of the stage. Though I just realized like an hour or two ago that Dillinger is only playing a 25 minute set :( That's kinda bullshit.

Well they're the just the opener. That's pretty typical.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought it fit in really well on HM really.

Also, what is the source on Trent saying he doesn't really like the song anymore? edit: nevermind. found it I think.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 22, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never got what people were hearing when they say everything just sounds like a generic pop song. I mean, yeah the verse sounds like that, but then it explodes into a bunch of industrial noise and chaos in the chorus that fights against the poppiness of the song. It's a song where he manages the mix the topic of the song with the song itself. It's a song where he tries to pretend that everything is great and amazing but can't hide the chaos and pain within. If that's what pop radio is like, I probably should start paying attention to that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I disagree and find at least All Time Low and Disappointed to be pretty great. Came Back Haunted is a silly song but, I dunno, it scratches that dumb NIN song itch for me pretty well.

Find My Way is my least favorite song on the album though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Cleaner posted:

Half the Everything supporters claim it sounds nothing like a pop-rock song. The other half state it is purposely a pop-rock song which ties into the lyrical gimmick.

You freaks can't even get your story straight.

That's because it's both. It's a pop/rock song that when the chorus comes around gets overwhelmed by NIN style noise that overtakes the poppiness. It's both a song that sounds like a pop-rock song but also does tings that no pop-rock song really would do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With Teeth is weird because it's half okay, not bad but overall pretty forgettable stuff and half amazing.

That being said I wish You Know What You Are? became a live staple because that's one of those NIN songs that works way better live than it does on album.

In general there's not really a NIN song I dislike, more just songs I don't seek out and songs I could do without seeing live again. Lord know I'd be fine with him retiring 1000000.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

It was originally an EP right? It's be a pretty great EP if you cut the back half out in my opinion.

The back half is the good bit though :confused:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They never advertised the scores for The Social Network/Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as NIN releases though, did they?

NIN were also on hiatus when those] came out. I really wouldn't read too much into thus beyond maybe there being a NIN song on the soundtrack there was a HTDA song on the GWTDT soundtrack (though I still wouldn't bet on it)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't link it or anything.
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/25/350948108/first-listen-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-gone-girl-motion-picture-soundtrack

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So far this seems much more backgroundy than the other two scores, which isn't a bad thing or anything, it's just fading in and out of my attention right now while I do other things. It also does seem to be a pretty good mesh the the other two scores.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I like it better now than I did when it first came out, but I still think it's one of the weaker NIN albums. There are some really great songs on it but as an album it just really doesn't hold together as one cohesive piece the way TDS or Broken or even PHM do, and its got too much not so great material as well.

I agree with this. I like the Fraglie but I was never able to fully get into it. It kind of suffers where alot of double albums suffer where it's just alot to sit through and you end up breaking it up into pieces and some pieces get more attention than others so it ends up feeling like a bunch of disconnected sections. That is not to say it isn't a great album (it contains my single favorite NIN song), it's just my recollections of it are ore on a song by song basis than as a whole.

Also, Ripe (With Decay) is still the most hilariously unintentionally self-parodyish song title I've ever seen.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 30, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That lady vocal remix of A Warm Place is pretty bad. The vocals don't really add a thing and honestly just sound osrt of bad at parts.

The sidebar of that video did have a link to this which is pretty sweet IMO.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Most of those could be read as "I am depressed about a girl...a girl named cocaine!" and "I'm horny for a girl...a girl named cocaine!" though. So I stand by my original list :colbert:

If we're being that vague though you've described like 90% of pop music.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think this is true. Trent was clean for awhile and then relapsed really hard after he had a single drink to celebrate it debuting at number one.

I don't really see how that contradicts the album being about drugs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Strobelight will always be funny and there will never be a point where I wouldn't kill if it meant being able to make Pussygrinder (featuring Sheryl Crow) a reality.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still really like HTDA :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's so weird that we live in an age where Trent Reznor not announcing a new album in like half a year makes people worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would you be a NIN fan if your criteria for a good album is that it sounds line the artist had fun making it?