Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have always quite liked ATLITW. I always picture the chorus refrain as another person responding to Trent's anksty whines. In the context of addiction and superstardom it's very bootstraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really cannot loving wait for the Tour album of Tension. Please god let this happen since I'm broke and about to miss the Portland show.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Spotify does this. The only thing that is going to set these services apart is their catalog and their pricing, I think.

Well that and the tie in to Dre Beats headphones which could end up being a significant aspect.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
To be fair his grammys comment reads like a tagline sticker on the cover of Hesitation Marks

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

obeyasia posted:

It's one thing to flip flop on a current issue,

agreed..I think this is getting a little erratic here. I guess he had to adjust.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm sure they all signed massive NDAs

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That bassline is in quite a few nin songs, including the chorus of came back haunted

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You sound fun to go to the movies with

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As in they keep hiring talented people who do the source material justice? And obviously, dropping cool NIN songs into their trailers?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I like the synth riff from "Sunspots" coming in at the end.

Good catch and what a great performance. I never liked Sanctified but the new version is up there now amongst my favorite NIN songs.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm a little out the loop. Is this still with the full band and backup singers?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Not actually NIN related, but the new Wolfenstein game OST has a song or two that sounds like it would be right at home on Ghosts. Thought some of you may like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agBdkmz4nGA

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I thought at least the Ice Age Remix had been out for a long time?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That was the first picture I pulled up when I heard about it last night, I showed my girlfriend and she was like "who brought dad to the nerd party?" :smith: She's cool though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well, I did at least. But I never know how goons will take comments about girlfriends. Anyway, I love that picture. I remember seeing it around the time Reznor was working on Doom 3 still.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Trent is old now

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
His emphasis changed by the time of The Fragile because ya, it destroys your vocal chords And some of those songs are just not doable night after night even when the guy was 26.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like Everything. I'm that guy. It kind of sounds like NIN doing Flaming Lips.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
How do you figure its out of place? The songs it's nestled between aren't exactly dark. Everything is darker than Satellite I'd say, though maybe not as menacing?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's like ya'll forget half of Pretty Hate Machine. (You should)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

All Time Low is an odd one. I loved it when I first heard it, but on subsequent listens I've felt that it lacks something, possibly in the production. I feel like it doesn't sound as "meaty" as it should. Sort of like the last Muse album.

I never liked it. The chorus and that repetitive kick slow the song down badly. It loses all momentum and sounds lazy.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Half the Everything supporters claim it sounds nothing like a pop-rock song. The other half state it is purposely a pop-rock song which ties into the lyrical gimmick.

You freaks can't even get your story straight.

It sounds like both, actually. Also, All of NIN music is pop music.

EDIT: The real debate to have is whether NIN is pop music or not, I guess.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 25, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
just click it ok http://youtu.be/RbnN6QmdrH4

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My buddy works at a restaurant in Portland called The Screen Door. It's a very well liked establishment. Anyway, Reznor, the band and his family came in yesterday. My friend got to make their food and was excitedly texting me while they were there.

Three hours later, Reznor called in a dinner order, saying "This is the best food I've had on the whole tour." He gave everyone working two tickets so I guess we're going tonight!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Going to gush for a second. Nin hasn't started yet, Soundgarden just finished. The tickets reznor gave my friend are right up front. Holy poo poo. What a cool guy.

Soundgarden loving killed it, too. I was really impressed.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 30, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I can't remember the entire set list but he did 1,000,000 Sin, gave up, Eraser and Great Destroyer in one big hell raising chunk.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like the themes on The Slip a lot. Reznor talks very matter of factly about feeling irrelevant, disappointed with his career, feeling unfamiliar with himself, love, and desperate dedication. He makes straightforward lyrical references to prior work, with a kind of wink of 'wasn't I stupid?'; in comparison, Hesitation Marks is sonically similar to his early work but the themes are not. I'm pretty sure Slip is pre Oscar, and came on the heels of tour frustration. I remember the air around things at the time was NIN may be over, and Slip sounded like a farewell, mashed out kind of quickly with long time studio friends.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 3, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like that YZ is his most focused concept lyrically but I never think about listening to it. However, vessel is my favorite song on the album so I'm kind of weird.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Capital G sounds like a reject Manson single processed through Garage band distortion.

EDIT: I really, really like the updated version of Sanctified and I kinda wish he would update a few more tracks that way. I'd really like an updated version of The Only Time. He ripped the bridge from it for the new(er) live version of Closer but I think it'd be good as its own song.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 5, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That avatar :stare: hahahaha

Bing!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
trigger warning that poo poo

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Oh man I love this.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Sounds like Reznor really liked King of Limbs

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I am loving All the piano on these. Holy poo poo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I agree that it's unusual and I'll take any opportunity to get excited about new NIN.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of Dragon tattoo, this score moves better and has some terrific melodies so far. I'm also a huge sucker for Reznor piano which is all over this thing.

I hadn't been reading about the film until today and my interpretation of the earlier released tracks was that they were uncomfortably soothing, if that makes sense. Which is what the movie sounds like it's going for!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I was that kid who listened to fragile non stop in high school but never ever talked about NIN because everyone I was friends with thought they were wack and goth.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As a huge NIN fan I can fully admit that Reznor lifts rhythms and melodies frequently.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Everyone borrows, I'm not faulting anyone for it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My feelings on those vocals are basically that I Do Not Want This.