Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

precision posted:

I'm old, I'll sit down at whatever concerts I feel like.

You're only allowed to sit if you bring a ticket stub from a 1990 PHM tour show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LordPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU

That was pretty much their look back then.

edit: It's pretty funny hearing Terrible Lie without doing the whole "TERRIBLE LIE WA-OOHHH" schtick :haw:

I forgot how goofy that synth break in that version of Closer is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is this Fragile alternate remaster whatever-it-is thing seriously only coming out on vinyl? I look forward to torrenting it because lol gently caress vinyl fetishists.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Vinyl is just hideously impractical. It does look and feel super nice though. I think it's a genuine loss that we generally no longer consume music in a way that involves big album artwork and liner notes. But that's the only advantage I really see. I just don't hear a positive difference compared to lossless digital formats.

I'm glad it's available for people who want it, but whenever an artist releases something only on vinyl because "Thats How It's Meant To Be Experienced" I can't help rolling my eyes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When did Trent give up on the whole "Halo" numbering thing?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BANME.sh posted:

Hesitation Marks was Halo 28 and without anyone holding a physical copy of the new EP it's pretty safe to assume it will have a Halo number too.

Does he still actually put halo numbers on the packaging, or is it just fans keeping track now?

Come to think of it, the most recent NIN release I own a physical copy of is probably [AWITHA_TEETHA].

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it just me or does Dear World have a sound somewhere in the mix in the beginning that sounds a lot like a Windows error noise? It was super distracting to me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm glad the instrumental version of The Day the World Went Away still includes the Na Na Nahs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol remember when Year Zero seemed topical because the Bush administration felt dystopian? :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I haven't really been a fan of the super-minimalist version of the David Carson art style Trent seems to love. The original Fragile designs had some interesting stuff going on, but the more stark and minimalistic it gets, the more it seems really low-effort and dull.

I quite liked the original cover for The Fragile, within the context of the art design of the rest of the packaging. The fold-out double-CD case was really nice to look at when you actually had it in your hands even if the front image by itself is pretty unexciting when it shows up on your iPod.

And the Fragile era had my favorite NIN art ever:

But this is just :effort:

This wasn't much better:

And NTAE seems to literally just be the Still cover with different words on it?

I was hoping he'd gotten away from boring minimalist art when he got Russell Mills back to design Hesitation Marks (which looked great!) but we're back to bland Fragile outtakes for everything apparently. :geno:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's kind of darkly funny to go back and listen to all the bands that thought Bush II merited dystopia concept albums.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bonk posted:

I like HM's music, but that's about it. Trent's never been an amazing lyricist, but HM's lyrics are particularly egregious, and lazier than they've ever been.

"What rhymes with 'hey'? OK, day, way, say..."
"What rhymes with 'done'? Fun, one, begun..."

It's the Dr. Seuss of NIN albums.

How soon you forget "Where Is Everybody?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still have the album labeled as [AWITHA_TEETHA] in iTunes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Even when I was 16 I knew the lyrics to Down in It were kinda dumb

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kelp Me! posted:

Makes sense, thanks!

I like the live version of Closer because you would be amazed how many people never realized there's a whispered verse during the bridge, and it's much more pronounced live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5TBCu9hgM&t=155s

Maybe I'm biased having listened to that album a million times on headphones as a teen, but how do you not hear that on the album version?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Immolat1on posted:

I'm always curious about this when lyrical content gets brought up, what do you guys consider really good lyrics?

The Mountain Goats

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has KMFDM done anything worthwhile lately? I used to to be into them in high school, but I kind of gave up after HAU RUCK.
Last I heard all the original members were long gone apart from Sascha.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

glam rock hamhock posted:

It always amazes me how much the worst iTunes is and always has been. For a company that pretends to be all about making slick, easy to use things you'd think they'd at least try and make iTunes not the worst music manager that every existed.

They don't actually want you to manage and curate your own music collection, at this point they mostly just want you to buy into their streaming service.

I feel like such an old these days when I run into kids who basically just use Spotify or whatever and never really buy songs, let alone albums.

Mind you I don't think I've bought an album in a physical format since like 2010.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The end of The Background World sounds like something that would have been hidden away on track 99 on a CD 20 years ago.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you don't like it, just do this:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao poor Trent, stuck on the Dadward Spiral

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Literally the only good thing about Terminator Salvation was The Day The World Went Away being used in its trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czz-TcWCkA

I mean it also had an actress in it literally named MOON BLOODGOOD, that has to be worth something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, the only way Trent is exciting anyone these days is with songs from 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
21 years ago today