Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

Head Down on the slip is my favorite underrated nin song and had great drums

I'm literally wearing a Head Down shirt I got from The Slip tour, even though they didn't play the song at my venue. (It's be downgraded to a sleep shirt thanks to my cats liking to claw at some shirts and putting a hole in it.) It's one of my favorite songs from The Slip, and given it wasn't played, I guess it's underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why don't you offer all three volumes this way, Trent?!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Walrus posted:

so you didn't buy the vinyl and yet you listened to these tracks? For shame, for shame.

I haven't listened to any yet. I'm hoping he either puts these out in a digital way that isn't mp3s from Amazon, or that I get the set for Christmas.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah Trent has spoiled me by having previous albums come out in FLAC. I still just listen to mp3s for right now, but it's nice to have the CD or greater files as a source, and to be able to go down from there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm giving it about an 80% chance that Dave Grohl will be on that album, for one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I need this in my life.

https://archive.org/details/NINJA_Tour_Sampler

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just picked up the deluxe edition of Hesitation Marks as a used copy for a few bucks (I already had the regular album back when it released).

Wow, the bonus disk with three remix tracks loving suck.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

NiN was just in a Super Bowl ad because of Old Town Road.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's me, the person who wants more HTDA.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yup, I just "bought" it and downloaded it. I'll be listening to it later today.

(I hope there's a physical release later down the road, I'm trying to get all the Halos. Although this doesn't seem to have a Halo number in the ID3 tags.)

Both albums together are 2hours, 33 minutes. drat...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is more like one of the soundtrack albums, and not really like the last Ghosts album. Ghosts as a bit more experimental and the tracks were more varied from track to track. Almost all of these are minimalistic piano pieces. Granted, I'm only on track 8 of 15 for the second disk, but I don't see it changing in the just the back half of the second album.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

I'm on the second track of VI now and it feels pretty experimental to me! It's got horns on it ffs! If it's another soundtrack album, this is one of the best soundtracks they've put out.

e2: And Run Like Hell has drums and horns!!!

e3: When It Happens (Don't Mind Me) is menacing as hell :ohdear:

The first Ghost album had a lot more variety in their tracks. One was done with water jugs I think, and others had crushing distortion on electronic samples. My first impression of these tracks is that I can hardly remember them, as they are all too similar for 90% of the tracks. They remind me too much of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack. It's going to take a few listens to this album to really start remembering the individual tracks.

Still, very good for the price. :v:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I figured it out. Ghost V-VI is Selected Ambient Works Volume II.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Stabbing Westward was my gateway drug into NIN, and, uh, I think I'm going to be listening to the three new Stabbing Westward songs more than Ghosts V and VI. The new Ghosts are still good! What I'm trying to say is thanks for telling me there's new Stabbing Westward out there and maybe check it out too? It's good!

They (Stabbing Westward) also re-recorded their demo tape and put it on Bandcamp.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has Filter put out a good album after Title of Record? Amalgamut was pretty meh, and I couldn't get through Anthems for the Damned.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bought his albums years ago when he had them on sale on his website, but didn't know there was a Trent Connection.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is it a fan recording, or a :airquote:fan:airquote: recording?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Asnorban posted:

All of the Watchmen records are up on the NIN store. I was only able to preorder 3, so I smashed that purchase button for Vol 1 and 2.

I keep telling myself that I'm not going to get any more NIN ambient stuff, but here I am spending $96 to get all three volumes shipped to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

polyester concept posted:

Watching those live videos really emphasizes how much NIN needs to release a 4K HDR concert film. I love Beside You In Time but it's starting to look a little fuzzy on modern TVs now :classiclol:

You just reminded me to watch my Halo 12 VHS tapes on my 70" TV. Haven't done that since I got them in. :getin:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Slip was fine, and also the first tour I went and saw them (I was late on starting to go to concerts in general though). Coincidentally, my wife was at that same concert, but it would be 8 more years until we met. I also just last week looked it up, and found someone recorded that concert, so I'm going to have to add that to my music library.

August 07, 2008, Uncasville, CT, Mohegan Sun Arena

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I like Devo, but couldn't make it through that whole thing. The sampling on "god money" was awful, and I was hoping for more of a Devo-like sound, not Devo doing a NiN impression.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm going up against a wall, but yeah, I've used one on a classmate I hated in my A+ certification class. As much as I hated him, that device drive him so crazy that we needed to abort before he destroyed property.

(I hid it in his desktop computer, on top of the CD-ROM drive.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wouldn't a mouse trap potentially break his fingers? That might be a bit too much.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have never listened to the Quake soundtrack, and only played that game as far as the Mac demo would allow, but I still ordered that record when I got the email.

I keep on saying "No more NIN instrumental albums", but I guess what I am really saying is "I am lying to myself".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did anyone order the Quake vinyl get it shipped yet? I got the tracking number like 2 weeks ago, but nothing is tracking yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

Did anyone order the Quake vinyl get it shipped yet? I got the tracking number like 2 weeks ago, but nothing is tracking yet.

I finally got it today, sheesh. Ordered on the 16th, "shipped" on the 17th, arrived nearly a month later. It didn't show tracking until Monday evening, but actually in the mail on the 8th.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

polyester concept posted:

double edit: gonna start calling trent "the Nine Inch Nails man" now

"Golden Globe nominated The Nine Inch Nails man"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I thought that but then Ghosts V and VI were better than most of 1-4 imo. I just want a vinyl release already damnit.

This, but the opposite. That is I was let down by the lack of creativity on the most recent Ghosts. It's very hard to tell one track from one of the 40 other tracks from those two volumes. The first set had tracks with a lot more experimentation and a wider set of instruments. The second set seemed to be drone guitars for nearly all the tracks.

Though I want a physical release of the second set too, since I'm trying to get all the Halos. :shepspends:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pretty good posted:

What's the image after the Demon Seed one? Never seen it before

The NIN logo.

Also Head Down was one of my favorite of that album, but I didn't see it played live at the concert I saw. Other fun thing for me is I found out my wife went to that concert too before we met each other.

I consider The Slip to be the last good album. Only the latest Ghosts album from last year has been bad, but the three EPs have been a little subpar compared to the rest of his catalog.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wasn't there a note with the slip when it went up that pretty much said "this is the first time I've ever made a full album collaboratively and we did it in like a month so it's free?" Cause it's not a great album but it was the right price.

That sounds like the first Ghosts album. They gave out the first "volume" (so like 6 tracks) for free.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is this going to be part of a Health album? Or should I pay Bezos Bucks to buy the track on Amazon?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Island Nation posted:

The latter but why give Jeff money when you can buy it elsewhere like here:

https://youwillloveeachother.bandcamp.com/track/isnt-everyone

Hell yeah, and it's Bandcamp Friday I believe. (When Bandcamp doesn't take a cut and ask the money goes to the artists.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I am so down in it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The two Gorillaz DVDs also had a ton of hidden and weird things on them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Y’all want some bad album set to go with these reissued albums?

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1484964524637573122

Edit: The replies say they’re $2,500?!?

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 22, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m not looking it up out reading that article because I’m only like 9 episodes into that season of Twin Peaks (the episode right after this “THE Nine Inch Nails” episode). But I know he did the same TNIN thing for The Watchmen show.

I doubt the two shows share continuity, but is the in-show band the same? I know the show seemed to have more members than The Watchmen’s universe (his wife, for example).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can someone screenshot that?

Imagine being mad that Trent left twitter. He maybe sent out a tweet once a season. (Did the NiN account close too?)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone read the 33 1/3 book on Pretty Hate Machine (or any of the 33 1/3 books)? I just picked up some band bio books and it made me think of that series again. I’m just wondering if they’re worth it, or garbage.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

:lol: “What are the loving words to that song?”

That could be the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Since this topic got a bump; I want more Deviations releases. Fragile Deviations was so good. It even has the “1” in the title, so you know he was planning on more.