Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That was pretty cool. Made me remember the record exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that Trent's lyrics are not so great, but I think that's part of the point of NIN. I think it's meant to be confessional, unpolished, bedroom-diary writing that's heavy on the emotion. In that context, sloppy and heavy-handed phrasing make a lot of sense.

It's also for rhyming. A big reason Nine Inch Nails made it big over other industrial acts (aside from pure talent) is that Trent conformed to verse-chorus-verse which made it really easy to listen, understand and repeat. When you grow up listening to KISS you get at least a little understanding in how important it is to have something people want to repeat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

It should be mentioned that it isn't necessarily fair to assume that other industrial artists can't write a decent pop tune. I think that a lot of the initial industrial bands like Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. really wanted to expand outside of the traditional musical forms, continuing traditions from John Cage, Edgard Varèse and other avant-garde musicians, as well as more contemporary musicians like Zappa who were on the weirder and more experimental side. There's no reason to believe that they didn't necessarily have know-how with regards to traditional pop music forms, as well.

For sure. I was trying to explain it simply. Trent was pretty much to Industrial what Metallica was to Speed Metal. Maybe even less because Trent always seemed to try separating himself from it while also being active signing artists to Nothing or the 1,000 Homo DJs stuff.

It's not so much that people couldn't do it but more they didn't do it. Nine Inch Nails was industrial enough to be alternative but was also pop enough to be enjoyed by those who weren't versed in industrial. Polish and simple lyrics were a big part of it. Marilyn Manson was going even further in the polish, which is why he was a more popular artist in a lot of ways but didn't have the staying power.

It's just for me, I kinda let out a sigh when people bitch about Trent's lyrics. Yes they can be pretty awful and LiveJournal-ish at times but there's a reason why that's catchy and a lot of "good lyrics" are not. He isn't trying to write Cohen.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BANME.sh posted:

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I don't make a ton of money. I recently had a baby, have a mortgage, and it seems I gotta pay to get something repaired every other month. Money is definitely tight, but besides all of that, I was able to afford a ticket to see one of my favorite bands. A hundred bucks is a lot for only a couple hours of entertainment, for sure, but if you can't save $5/month to see your favorite band every two years, you must be terrible with your money.

I could definitely afford the show, but there was no way I was gonna pay $100 for a ticket to see one act. If it was my first ever NIN show okay sure. But for my third? No way. I'm not gonna pay over $75 before taxes. If that means I never see another show, that's fine. I just don't consider it proper value for a concert.

I recently paid $100 for an NHL game but it's going to be my first regular season game (and I purchased someone's $150 Ticketmaster gift card so I was getting it $50 off) and I'll never do it again.

Live entertainment is too much these days. I don't care if that's the standard.

The next time I see Nine Inch Nails it'll probably be at a festival.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BANME.sh posted:

I don't blame him for going back to a label, but the backpedaling on the Grammys thing is pretty funny. I know he's a Grown Up Man now and the "gently caress the system" schtick is getting old, but it does come off as pretty hypocritical. TOOT BOOT is right, nothing has really changed between then and now other than him being invited to perform. He was in the 40s back then and he's still in his 40s now. There has been no grand revelation or shift in the industry.

The older you get, the more you realize there's battles to fight and battles to let go of. Actually scratch that, it has less to do with age and more to do with a clearer perspective of the world around you.

Caring about the Grammys either way is a battle to let go of. He's pretty much going to jam on stage with a bunch of bands he's friends with and Lindsey Buckingam who is awesome and is on Hesitation Marks. When you look at those names it sounds like the California Rock clique (Which TR is a part of now) waving some power in the music industry. But it could also just be a bunch of likeminded musicians wanting to play together on a big TV platform.

The only thing I really hope Trent does more of is appear on younger artist's records to give them some publicity and exposure. Goto New Zealand and play with Naked and Famous or something. Pull a Bowie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bovis posted:

The last time NIN came here the opening band was actually the Naked and Famous, before they got popular. Was pretty awesome!

They once posted on Instagram where they were smoking and using his Grammy for "Wish" as an ashtray. Pretty much cemented them as my new favourite band after Innerpartysystem broke up.

EDIT: It was Pinterest and Happiness in Slavery http://www.pinterest.com/pin/539728336564566136/

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 27, 2014

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I really enjoyed this. I think you might too: https://soundcloud.com/fredscott-1/this-is-a-trent-reznor-song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The fact he's doing the hair thing is just wonderful.

GOD IS ANGRY, MUST HOLD HIS HAIR DOWN, PUSH HIS HAIR DOWN