Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Honestly it's kind of embarrassing how hard he's walked back the stuff he said a couple years ago.

Eh, he gets to play on the Grammies and presumably get money for it, and it might be some sort of backroom "you play this show and we give your album an award" sort of deal. I know he also signed to a label after being anti-label for the longest time, so I might just be full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I hope Trent now a-flip-flop-flip-flop-flips his opinion of the Grammys back to the negative, hahaha.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Wow. And there it is, folks. He's back!

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

hatelull posted:

Was he? I couldn't tell if he just did an exit stage right or if he stuck around. They cut QOTSA short, but I thought "copy of a ..." seemed pretty normal. I could easily be wrong though.

They cut quite a few bars out of Copy of A, which was really jarring on first listen. That's normal for TV/awards shows, though. It's gotta be weird for a performer who has done a song 100 times and then has to fight that muscle memory and sing the verse four bars sooner, etc. It might just be me - but it sounds like Trent fumbles after the first chorus when he starts "I am little pieces..." Normally, there would be four bars of guitar wankery before he had to sing again after the chorus.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Semi-related, I've been a huge of Montreal fan for the last decade and a NIN fan even longer, and I'm glad to see Trent mention enjoying of Montreal's most acclaimed album, "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" Both Trent and Kevin, of Montreal's one man singer/songwriter/producer, are both very influenced by Talking Heads and both follow the similar format of recording an album by themselves and touring with a full band a huge audio/visual production.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

Talking Heads for sure, but definitely Bowie. Not to mention they put on great live shows. Just as fun as the arena shows with huge lights, but the costumes they come up with are great. Never thought I'd be at a show where the singer rides through the crowd of 350 people on someone dressed as a three headed hydra; nice to know he likes them.

I have noticed many of my favorite artists follow the same trend of really only being one person, but with the help of others. I believe Kevin is a bit more on his own, and producing the whole thing on an old Synclavier, whereas Trent always has an additional producer.

Kevin did have Jon Brion for "False Priest," which isn't a well loved album but the production/arrangements on it are incredible.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Twiin posted:

He looks like a nice man.

He's a really awesome dude and a wildly underrated guitarist (though not the greatest songwriter.) He is planning on recording Spooky Kids songs with new arrangements with new players at some point in the future, which could be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Just got back, that show kicked rear end. I'd never seem him before so I don't know what a good or bad night would sound like but I had a really good time.

Side note: Is it normal for the setlist not to include anything from The Fragile?

For this run of dates, yeah. This whole tour is basically their 2013 festival dates - same production, same setlist. Tension got stuff like "The Wretched" and "Into the Void" and "The Day The Whole World Went Away" but you shouldn't expect to see them on this tour. The Fragile is my favorite album by him, so I share your disappointment.