Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They also bought MOG. MOG was better than Spotify in a lot of ways, and I actually used it for way longer than I did Spotify before switching to iTunes Match. This should be a good service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

New information like what? It's not like he's just now discovered what being on a major label was like. For all the talk of how labels were dinosaurs he went running back to them really fast.

I guess I'm just finding Trent increasingly lame in general over the past 4-5 years.

The new information was probably "touring and promoting an album off of a major label is really loving expensive and hard, even with my die hard internet fans."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

obeyasia posted:

There's a difference between practice and theory. In theory he's right. He could still be off label if his over head were that of someone like DIIV. But big projects and big ideas cost time and money. I don't see why I would chastise someone for trying a radically new approach and it not working out. I also appreciate his candor even if his feelings change. To be fair its not like he's guesting on Miley Cyrus, or producing for Lady Gaga.

I would kill for a Reznor produced Gaga album. Literally kill for it. You, my friends or family, doesn't matter. If it made that happen I'd do it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, Germs by Weird Al is a much better version of the same basic idea here, and is from...jesus, 15-20 years ago?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're all over me!
They're inside of me!
Can't get 'em off of me!
I'm crawling with microscopic bacteria

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The fact he's doing the hair thing is just wonderful.

GOD IS ANGRY, MUST HOLD HIS HAIR DOWN, PUSH HIS HAIR DOWN

His Trent impression is completely spot on. Or at least it was back when I saw the live special where that screen cap is from. He has PHM/TDS era Trent down.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Yeah, the way I choose to see it is that Trent is aware of how horrible the movies are. They are, in fact, so boring and devoid of effort that it is way more worthwhile to see the trailers than the actual films themselves. So, these trailers use Trent's music, for he gets paid, and the songs don't make it into the lovely films themselves.
But I have no basis for that belief. It just makes sense in my head.

Counterpoint: Guardians of the Galaxy looks loving great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, to each their own, but I bet it's as cookie-cutter as everything else Marvel puts out. Look at those characters, how is that not totally identical to every other team of super-powered whatevers: small feisty comic relief-ish character who is cute, but will completely unsurprisingly kick rear end when the chips are down. Sexy love interest/kidnap victim. Chewbacca/brawny minority character. Inhuman sort of robotic character, except he's a loving tree. And, oh my god...is that an edgy handsome white male character? I wonder if he's the central character.

Comic books have really evolved to become complex and subtle mediums for intricate stories, and though I don't read them much anymore, I'd never waste my time on a comic book movie ever again. These dynamics haven't progressed at all for decades, and I'm sure I could get the 10-15 minutes they spend on character development between the flashy graphics, tits, and explosions just by talking to someone who watches the drat thing.

There should be a Charlie Brooker series dedicated to U.S. cinema, "Asswipe."

But like I said, your opinion's just as valid for you.

Why do you hate fun things?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Marvel movies are starting to get formulaic. They found a formula that works so they keep repeating it.

This is literally the exact opposite of what they've been doing. All of phase 1 was formulaic, and with phase 2 they've been giving much more creative control to the directors.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The NIN song in the trailer for Terminator Salvation was the best part of the entire movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seriously. That trailer had me sold on the movie, mainly based on the song I think. Then I saw the movie in theaters and it was loving boring and there was no NIN in the actual movie.

The only part I really remember from the movie was John Conner using a boom box playing You Could Be Mine by GNR to attract robots. That was the best part of the movie that was actually in the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

I'm holding out for the club tour that coincides with a Fragile remaster. Trent likes money, he'll do it.

This is assuming that the Fragile remaster is ever going to actually happen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

M1TCH3LL posted:

The fanbase of NIN was relatively mixed from what I saw, but there was a distinct lack of attractive girls. Even taken girls... just lots of unhappy guys with ugly partners. At least Marilyn Manson attracts lesbians.

After watching the concert film that he just released, I think that Rob Zombie is probably the guy you should go see live if you want to see a bunch of hot ladies. There were way more tits in that film that I expected going in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

While I don't think it's a "bad" song, it just doesn't sound dark or unique. You could easily replace it with any Top-40 pop-rocker singing it and who would know it was even an nin song. Also:

http://youtu.be/xaWe_4AaH8Y

When you have fan videos of the song with Pikachu, Kermit The Frog, and puppy dogs, and it works...

Maybe if you don't actually listen to the lyrics at all.

E: Which, this being NIN, isn't the worst idea, actually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only NIN album I don't like is The Slip. It has a few tracks I like, but most of it is just...forgettable. If it wasn't a free album I'd have been let down, but it was free so...eh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Having both Beats Music and iTunes Radio as separate things is really weird to me. They should roll them into one thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Social Network score is an album you can listen to on it's own, without the movie, and it still works in the same way some of Ghosts does. It even has some fairly catchy songs on it. Gone Girl is much, much more ambient, and while it would work as an ambient album if you listened to it on it's own, it really needs the context of the film to elevate it. The score would not be as great as it is without the movie, and the movie wouldn't be as good as it is without the score. It's a really great symbiosis.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was able to get through it all. Got a perfect score. The dead give away is the appliances are recorded in a way lower quality.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Periodiko posted:

"Subjects for a NIN Song" is a really short list.

1. Pigs
2. George W. Bush :argh:
3. Being sad about a girl
4. Being horny for a girl
5. My arms, and how they flip flop

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echronorian posted:

The Fragile is almost entirely "coming off cocaine/fighting cocaine addiction/my friends are high on cocaine and I'm jelly/I'm high on cocaine and they are jelly" songs with the most obvious being The Big Come Down and the least obvious being The Wretched.

Most of those could be read as "I am depressed about a girl...a girl named cocaine!" and "I'm horny for a girl...a girl named cocaine!" though. So I stand by my original list :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Earwicker posted:

I always thought it was really interesting that almost all of his lyrics especially from PHM through TDS are "I/you" lyrics where the "you" is always a rather vague entity that ranges from someone in a relationship with him to someone who is an authority figure. But in one song, the becoming, he actually addresses someone by name: "Annie, hold a little tighter I might just slip away"

Apparently Annie was an old college girlfriend of his but I found it odd that its the only time he ever referred to the subject of a song by name that I can think of (though I guess Capital G is obviously about Bush)

He's actually said that Capital G was about greed, but Bush. I don't know how much I believe him, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mariqueen posted this on Instagram a couple hours ago, haha:

The best part of this is how obviously and unashamedly he is feeling her up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mariqueen is a nun, Trent has one of those creepy clear masks, but what is their kid dressed as?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Singing Chav posted:

'Blah' was kind of the right response to that record, honestly. Maybe they're working on the live video of the last few tours or The Fragile Reissu-haha, no that's never coming.

Obviously with the Fragile reissue they want to recreate the entire experience of the album, and that includes waiting loving forever for it to come out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So there hasn't been much Trent news worth posting about in a while, unfortunately. But here's something he's been working on: http://pitchfork.com/news/58986-apple-and-beats-music-developing-new-streaming-service-trent-reznor-redesigning-ios-music-app/

Beats Music was absorbed by Apple and Trent seems to have gone with it, helping redesign the iOS music app to make it into a Spotify competitor.

Hopefully he can make it so it's actually functional and I don't have to use a third party app anymore. The fact that when you click an artist it shows you every single song by them on one screen, instead of using albums as sub-folders, makes navigating anyone with more than like, 2 albums a loving nightmare.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

Too bad it will probably never get released in HD.

I thought it was shot on either tape or SD digital, and therefore there's basically no way to make it look any better than it already does? The same issue that Closure had?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new Apple Music app apparently hasn't fixed the problem where there's no way to collapse albums within an artist, so you have to scroll through every single song on every single album, sorted by date, to find specific songs.

Trent, why have you forsaken me?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That whole video actually seems like a calculated "gently caress you" to Tidal to me, actually. Tidal came out with it's whole "hey, it's to support the artists!" thing, but was founded by Jay Z and had Beyonce as the spokeswoman. If anyone doesn't need any more loving money it's those two. I think they're probably gonna be just fine even with the smaller cut that Spotify was giving them. So the whole thing came off as a "poor little rich boy" thing.

This on the other hand specifically pointed out "hey, when we say we are supporting the artists more, we aren't just talking about people who are already rich, we also mean that we're going to treat smaller, independent artists well." That goes a long way for me to actually getting me on board with the idea.

Also from what they're saying over in the iOS apps thread, it sounds like in addition to the Spotify stuff, and the radio stuff, it's also going to be doing all the stuff iTunes Match did. Which means you will be able to upload all the music that isn't in their streaming catalog but you have in your library into the cloud, and still be able to access it from anywhere without actually having to have it synced onto your phone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mariqueen is now using Connect on Apple Music as well, under the How To Destroy Angels page. She posted a live video earlier today.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Athletic Footjob posted:

Can someone do a screen grab of the artworks from both instrumental playlists from an iPad retina's lock screen? I'm hoping they'll be higher quality than what I've been able to find elsewhere. The ones from the iPhone come to 676x676.

From my iPad Air's screen:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

I dunno if you ended up figuring it out, but it does mention you can dismiss artists by holding their bubbles (you can also go back and redo that if you didn't). Also the suggestions get much, much better as you tell it artists and songs you like, so heart stuff.

I mainly use playlists for just my favorite songs by individual artists, broken up by artist. So I'll have like a "Nine Inch Nails" playlist that's all my favorite stuff by them. I have these for dozens of bands. So I went through and just mass favorited all of them, and now my suggestions are basically spot on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Poopybutthole is the character finde of 2015, no joke.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

It was really a poor way to show off Connect, considering since it's not technically listed on the store so my phone refuses to download it for offline listening.

You can download it if you add it to your library, I think.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder if it will get delayed into 2018 or just 2017.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

:smith::hf::smith:

I'm re-listening to Blackstar now. I'm having trouble accepting this. He was such a force for such a long period of time. He never seemed like a regular human that could die a regular human's death.

This basically sums up how I feel about it. Like, I was super bummed when Lemmy died, but with how that insane fucker lived the surprising thing was more that he didn't die 30 years ago. I never even stopped to consider the idea that David Bowie even could die.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Sounds like Trent's wife is popping out another kid.

Went to a goth club the other night and the DJ played the instrumental version of heresy. Killer.

In twenty years NIN better still be around, consisting of all of Trents children.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deep is really silly, but I still really enjoy it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I give zero fucks about that movie, but I'll listen to the score.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, while I genuinely don't care about what he does now with his fame and position (more power to him, really... he's earned it), that's unfortunate, because Beats headphones are completely and total bullshit. Yes, they are headphones that work, but quality vs price, they're way off.

He was working with their streaming stuff, not the hardware part of it. Which is why they kept him on at Apple when they bought Beats, because he just moved over to being an Apple Music guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm going to be megapissed if its some Apple Music exclusive bullshit. Hopefully Trent has better sense than that even if he is an Apple employee now.

It's the internet. You know what I'm saying.